Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Recently (this week) I've had periodic simultaneous display of the ESP/BAS, ABS, and ESP (skidding car) idiot lights. They sometimes come on then go off after some driving, and other times over the past three days, they come on at vehicle start and don't go out at all, until I turn the engine off.

I've done the "key dance" and I'm throwing no codes (just getting the ----- in the display).

The other weird thing is that this morning, the lights appeared and when I lightly applied the brakes to stop after starting to drive out of my complex, I got what sounded and felt like, the ABS system attempting to activate. Very strange...

I've done some research and I know that it could be bad wheel sensors/failing wheel bearing or bad ABS computer but I don't have any codes to narrow down where to search.

Any ideas, people? Please and thank you!!:D

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
I would also suspect the sensors. It could be the ABS control module that is glitching out. First, though, check the connections to each sensor and at the control module to the main harness. You may have a dirty, corroded or loose connection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also suspect the sensors. It could be the ABS control module that is glitching out. First, though, check the connections to each sensor and at the control module to the main harness. You may have a dirty, corroded or loose connection.
Thanks Maddog... Are those connections at the wheels? Not very familiar with where to look for the connectors.

I was told by a mechanic that I had a left-rear wheel bearing that he suspected was going bad -- hadn't gone bad -- about 10,000 miles ago. My research says that the speed sensors are in the wheel bearing assemblies so if a bearing was going bad, might that cause this issue?

And do you have any ideas as to why no error codes are thrown?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Tony,

Just wondering if you've managed to resolve this. I have the same issue. Same lights come ON/OFF.

I've suspected a sensor problem, but I haven't been able to confirm. The last time I had it in the shop, I told them about it; and they couldn't get it to come on.

I'd like to go back armed with more information, so that I can direct them better toward resolving it. Las winter was terrible in some cases when the lights were on... my back end would slide around at the worst times. I don't want that to happen this year.

Cheers!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tony,

Just wondering if you've managed to resolve this. I have the same issue. Same lights come ON/OFF.

I've suspected a sensor problem, but I haven't been able to confirm. The last time I had it in the shop, I told them about it; and they couldn't get it to come on.

I'd like to go back armed with more information, so that I can direct them better toward resolving it. Las winter was terrible in some cases when the lights were on... my back end would slide around at the worst times. I don't want that to happen this year.

Cheers!
Nardil, turns out the right front speed sensor had disconnected and the terminal then corroded. My dealership down here replaced the sensor and reset the idiot lights for $260. Took just over an hour to do.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, Tony!
I suspect it's the right-front sensor on my car, too.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts