Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I thought I would post some pics of my install. This is all in my 05 300 base. I went with a Pioneer Avic-d3 and was hesitant on spending the extra $ on a metra kit with a factory nav bezel. After all my parts came in, I decided to spend the extra cash and go for a guarenteed clean install. I ordered the Schosche wire harness kit for $80 off ebay, which was a decent savings opposed to the $150 the local shops wanted.

I transferred my existing setup from my civic into my 300, which consists of a Rockford Fosgate T212D2 power series stage-II 12" sub in a custom built 3 ft^3 rockford spec box. I built the box myself from 3/4" MDF and it alone weighs 60lbs, on top of the already 60lb sub. Power is delivered from a cheapo Audiobahn a1300HCT 1200wRMS amp.

Wiring was easy as pie, used 8AWG power/grd direct to battery from the amp, 80amp fuse in line on power, and I decided to run a seperate remote power line direct to the Avicd3 instead of tapping into an ACC fuse. The amp was easily mounted to the rear seat with plenty of clearance for opening/closing. The only casualty in the entire install was due to my own stupidity, when I was running the remote/RCA's to the trunk, I accidentally closed the back door with the rear floor panels out and it cracked *see pics*

I purchased/applied a significant amount of FatMat Rattle Trap to the trunk, deck lid, spare wheel areas, and it STILL rattles like crazy from the outside. Inside, there isn't a peep of rattling which makes a HUGE difference. Sound quality in the ride has increased substantially and was a great purchase. I will be seeking further professional assistance with the rest of soundproofing project.

Conclusion - the D3 is an AMAZING unit. It really brings the factory speakers to life, whereas the factory deck was really underpowering the speakers. Nav is amazing, extremely accurate (living a little west of Toronto, Canada). The iPod control is very responsive, however Im having problems getting the sound to match the quality of the MP3 cd's that I burn with the same files. I think its largely due to using my iPhone instead of an iPod. DVD/DivX is SPECTACULAR - it is absolutely mind blowing watching movies (THE MATRIX!!) with that massive 12" in the trunk kicking ass to all the explosions/music. I am not happy with the amount of rattle this car produces, I have applied plenty of FatMat Rattle Trap (75mil) to as much surface area as possible, but I have concluded that my sub simply moves too much air to cancel all rattles.

Well thats it in a nutshell, if anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Now for the pics!

Dash

Avic-D3

Amp

Sub

Sub with Fatmat

Crack (DOH!)

·
Registered
470 Posts
very nice. btw. how's the fat mat? helps alot? i just installed 2 12" kicker comps and i have some truck rattle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fatmat makes a world of difference. There was a ton of rattle in the car, and the fatmat eliminitated it entirely. The only rattling remaining is the actual trunk lid. I highly recommend fatmat, very cheap and very effective.

I have also heard of alot of people firing the sub facing forwards. I tried that in my civic and it didn't sound good at all, too much port hole noise. However, more and more people are saying that it makes a huge difference in the 300, so I am definately going to give it a try when I get home from vacation. Ill keep you posted!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I ported my box into the rear deck which not only eliminated almost all of the rattle (even outside), but it brought a lot more sound into the car.
bighitter...you got pics of this setup. im very interested in something like this. thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The fatmat makes a world of difference. There was a ton of rattle in the car, and the fatmat eliminitated it entirely. The only rattling remaining is the actual trunk lid. I highly recommend fatmat, very cheap and very effective.

I have also heard of alot of people firing the sub facing forwards. I tried that in my civic and it didn't sound good at all, too much port hole noise. However, more and more people are saying that it makes a huge difference in the 300, so I am definately going to give it a try when I get home from vacation. Ill keep you posted!
my subs are forward. it sounds ok. the trunk only rattles when the seats are up. when there down it's fine. no rattle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love that custom fit look. Does the sound quality not decrease though when your back seats are up? How much clearance is there between the seat back and the sub cone??

·
Registered
77 Posts
The reason I went with the port is to allow more sound into the cab. I found myself driving around with the seats down because most of the sound just never got past the back seats. The port makes a world of difference. I have a good 2+ inches between the subs and the back seat, so there is plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats really cool! I just drive around with the seats down anyway, pounds like a mother :) But you are VERY right, with the seats up it eats about 70-80% of the bass. Id like to see a custom cutout of the rear deck, wouldn't take much to get all that sound up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts