Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to tint my OEM tails instead of my Altezzas. Didn't want to pay $100 plus to send them out to be done. I used VHT nightshade and clear coat with about 3 layers each. I didn't get the 'super' glossy look I was hoping for, but they will do for now. If anyone has any suggestions so I can get them 'glosser', let me know. Very time consuming and probably one of the hardest mods that I have done myself. Be easy on me, this was my first time!!:biggrin:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIS 07's 22" in Black are here! Waiting for my Eibachs to arrive before the install.

·
Registered
60 Posts
looks good too i did the side markers the same just to get rid of the orange. I get my tinted talilights here thursday morning from johns tinted tails. looks like you did good masking the clear strips. and i would say maybe some more clear would gloss them up?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks good too i did the side markers the same just to get rid of the orange. I get my tinted talilights here thursday morning from johns tinted tails. looks like you did good masking the clear strips. and i would say maybe some more clear would gloss them up?
I used a DUPI-clear coat in a rattle can bought at Autozone. I don't think I'll get the gloss with that alone. I was already told that I need a urethane based clear coat with a hardener. Anyone know where I can ge that?

·
Banned
651 Posts
they didnt turn out like a professional
I TOLD YOU SO lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
they didnt turn out like a professional
I TOLD YOU SO lol
LOL..True but not too shabby for my first tint job.
Jrod---> :twak: <---Me
Does anyone know which bulbs I need to replace my sidemarkers? After tinting the amber lens, the light emits a red color when on. I'm asking to get pulled over for red sidemarkers! What about a amber bulb and the tinted lens????

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updated. glossier look with polish and buff.

I removed much of the Orange peel with a polishing compound and then proceeded to do a final wet-sand. After that I buffed the lens like crazy. Outcome is 50% better. Cost was around $40 for all supplies.

·
Banned
651 Posts
wow, buffing and polishing was the trick. looks really good im impressed. you could never tell that was a DIY project. def thumbs up

·
Registered
127 Posts
GREAT JOB Jasonb.....I also have the Altezza tails, but now I what to tint my stockers also.

LOOK'N GOOD MAN!!!!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks good. Maybe one coat of clearcoat may help with a shine.
I thought so too and tried it, but I found out the clear coat I used caused the orange peel look. So, after clear coat, I wet-sanded just enough until I removed most of the bumpy and rough finish that the clear coat left. Unfortunately, sanding clear leaves a duller look. I guess I need to go to a body shop and see if they can shoot a proffesional grade clear. I was using a rattle can clear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just shot mine the other day. I am glassing the radio surround to custom fit the new headunit nicely. Gonna paint the inside silver like on the steering wheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts