Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been spending some time at Autopia and I posted these photos there and they have created a lot of interest in a product we get in Australia but is not available in North America.

The product is "Polyglaze Tyre Black", a water based paint for tyres and the finish lasts for months, as long as you don't touch a kerb/gutter. It dries completely and will not wash off or of course sling off.

Apologies that it is not being displayed on a 300C, you probably all have read that I am waiting for local release here later this year.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice!! is there a retailer on the net that sells this product ? & after it drys and you go in sand will it effect the look or does the sand wash of without effecting the look?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Sand! You got sand in the U.A.E.?

I got snow.

Wanna trade, Jamoleh? :D
Hey man we've got desert all over, it would be really great to trade..:D

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jamoleh said:
Nice!! is there a retailer on the net that sells this product ? & after it drys and you go in sand will it effect the look or does the sand wash of without effecting the look?
G'day Jamoleh, I am not sure if there is any place to buy over the net. Have a look at the Autopia thread I posted as a couple of members there did put in web addresses with a little more information.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49760

As far as sand goes, maybe if it was loose sand that was up the sidewall then you might get some friction and that will wear it off, I dunno :confused: . It makes the sidewall nice and shiny and I just use tap water and a sponge and it keeps a great appearance for months.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
A friend of mine just got back from Aotearoa (New Zealand) and I asked her to bring some of the tyre black back which she did, such a good friend. Will put it on after the next wash (couple days at most) and give a report back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
how can i get my hands on this stuff

Hemi57 said:
I have been spending some time at Autopia and I posted these photos there and they have created a lot of interest in a product we get in Australia but is not available in North America.

The product is "Polyglaze Tyre Black", a water based paint for tyres and the finish lasts for months, as long as you don't touch a kerb/gutter. It dries completely and will not wash off or of course sling off.

Apologies that it is not being displayed on a 300C, you probably all have read that I am waiting for local release here later this year.
Where can i get my hands on some of this stuff??? web, distributor??? please help if you can!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Judging from the pics posted here showing this product, I would bet the house that it is a solvent based dressing. I checked the web site and they did not mentioned what base it is. Before you go nuts over the product lets talk about the two basic types of dressings. A solvent based dressing, like this one, damage rubber over time. The only advantage in using a solvent dressing is the high gloss shine. Even the sling once you drive with it on your tires, will discolor your finish. People often get carried away and use it under their hood, and guess what (solvent= ignite=fires) engine fires. You can tell if a dressing is solvent based by touching it, most often they are clear in apprearance, and are sticky. (Thats the petroleum dissalites in it)
On the other hand, a water based dressing leaves the tire with a satin more natural look. Most of my customers prefer that look anyway once they get educated on solvent dressings. Water based dressings can be used in the engine to dress rubber hoses, and plastic parts. They are idle for your dash, many of them (like mine) have UV protection properties. The sling won't harm paint either. Knowing your products make it possible to make the right decision before you buy. Gary

·
Registered
575 Posts
turbomangt said:
Judging from the pics posted here showing this product, I would bet the house that it is a solvent based dressing. I checked the web site and they did not mentioned what base it is. ... Even the sling once you drive with it on your tires, will discolor your finish. ...
Well, the original poster stated it was water based and did not sling, so this may not be a good bet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have some tyre black, see above post, I'm sorry I haven't used it yet, been fighting off a nasty flu, but I did read the instructions and it said to wash brush used to apply it to the tire with water, so it is water soluble. It is black in color, does not fell sticky and washes very well off the hands with just water, didn't need soap. There is some residue that was left on the finger, but to be honest it felt more like silicone than oil. I will get to applying it to the car as soon as I feel better so I will keep those wanting to know about this product posted.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tyre black

hawaiian lava said:
I have some tyre black, see above post, I'm sorry I haven't used it yet, been fighting off a nasty flu, but I did read the instructions and it said to wash brush used to apply it to the tire with water, so it is water soluble. It is black in color, does not fell sticky and washes very well off the hands with just water, didn't need soap. There is some residue that was left on the finger, but to be honest it felt more like silicone than oil. I will get to applying it to the car as soon as I feel better so I will keep those wanting to know about this product posted.
How did you get your hands on this stuff???

·
Registered
575 Posts
foodybat said:
How did you get your hands on this stuff???
See post #7. BTW, do your kids play sports at East Lake ball fields? I saw a C there Saturday morning and was curious if it was yours.

·
Registered
285 Posts
kids

C-Man said:
See post #7. BTW, do your kids play sports at East Lake ball fields? I saw a C there Saturday morning and was curious if it was yours.
No, actually my 5 yr old daughter takes karate on 19 just south of Tarpon ave, and my 13 month old son seems to be more interested in my Harley than my 300!

My ride is easily differentiated by the wheels (hyper black) ... that is if the grill doesn't give it away first.

There is a nice 300C on the east side of 19, at a surf shop in palm harbor (next to a gentlemen's club).... nice vertical billet grill, black, some kinda bling wheels (not my style though)... I stopped there & turns out it belongs to the owner... she's a nice lady with a hot ride (or is it the otherway around?) :D

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
a water based dressing is the best for your tries. won't harm the finish or your tires. Dealers like to use solvent dressings because of the shine, they could care less about what really matters. For more info on water base dressings visit my web site. Gary

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Been a while since I have revisited this post which I originally started. Reading some of the comments I can assure the members that the product does not have a long term affect on the tyre. It is just like a water based paint which dries completely and will wear off over time or on contact with a kerb.

As an example I drove in a paddock and the ground was soft resulting in a little friction on the outter edge of the wall of the tyre and the tyre black rubbed off.

It contains no petroleum product and washes completely with water while still wet. If you get it on you skin and it dries you just need to rub a little and it flakes off.

I like it :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Is this stuff similar to the 'Tire Black' (in the black and white quart-sized paint-type can) which was available at the local Pep Boys many moons ago? It may still be available; however, I haven't been to a Pep Boys in a long while. I also believe that that particular product was also water based and actually flaked-off the tire sidewalls over time. It certainly temporarily 'dressed-up' the tire sidewalls at car shows and didn't appear to harm the sidewall rubber compound either. Eventually, I learned to dress my tires' sidewalls with a simple water/glycerin mixture since it actually retains the natural oils within the tire sidewalls and will not promote checking/cracking. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts