Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank 300 c on 22s for the pics of his awesome mod putting the back up camera in the rear trunk logo... I think this mod looks really good and actually has some functionality to it! Much better than the cameras I have seen in the bumper. By the way, he sells these camera if you are interested!

First I removed the trunk liner, and the rear winged logo from the trunk. Then I used a 1 3/8" (same diameter as the camera) hole saw to carefully cut a hole in the center of the Chrysler logo, and through the plastic wing and sanded a little to get a nice tight fit. Then I put the logo back on the trunk and got the mark started where I wanted to drill through the trunk lid. I removed the badge and then started carefully cutting through the 2 layers of metal. I left the sticky double tape on there while I drilled, I thought it would prevent any probs with the paint cracking or anthing like that.

This process only took maybe a half hour, then I took the pics! I will need to have the audio shop do the wiring, I wanted to do this part myself to get it right... They would have charged a grip to do this work. I will get it wired up be sure the camera is straight then use some weatherproof epoxy to lock the camera in place.

I think if a camera is being used this is by far the best location. I used a LED night vision camera it connects to the back of the Kenwood DVD player deck using one RCA cable (I bought a video cable from uadio shop it was $75.00 and they had dust growing on it, and sold it to me for $20.00!) and needs only a ground and power wire. The camera was $110.00 and the parts to install maybe $25.00.

I will post more pics when it is wired up and playing!

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
HEMI4ME? said:
First I want to thank 300 c on 22s for the pics of his awesome mod putting the back up camera in the rear trunk logo... I think this mod looks really good and actually has some functionality to it! Much better than the cameras I have seen in the bumper. By the way, he sells these camera if you are interested!

First I removed the trunk liner, and the rear winged logo from the trunk. Then I used a 1 3/8" (same diameter as the camera) hole saw to carefully cut a hole in the center of the Chrysler logo, and through the plastic wing and sanded a little to get a nice tight fit. Then I put the logo back on the trunk and got the mark started where I wanted to drill through the trunk lid. I removed the badge and then started carefully cutting through the 2 layers of metal. I left the sticky double tape on there while I drilled, I thought it would prevent any probs with the paint cracking or anthing like that.

This process only took maybe a half hour, then I took the pics! I will need to have the audio shop do the wiring, I wanted to do this part myself to get it right... They would have charged a grip to do this work. I will get it wired up be sure the camera is straight then use some weatherproof epoxy to lock the camera in place.

I think if a camera is being used this is by far the best location. I used a LED night vision camera it connects to the back of the Kenwood DVD player deck using one RCA cable (I bought a video cable from uadio shop it was $75.00 and they had dust growing on it, and sold it to me for $20.00!) and needs only a ground and power wire. The camera was $110.00 and the parts to install maybe $25.00.

I will post more pics when it is wired up and playing!
Nice work but I have a question. Are you just using this for backing up?
If not you may have a problem w/ the cops. That type of camera has the ring of led's glowing while power is applied.
It will definitely get a cops attention so I suggest only having it powered while in reverse.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wesexcellence said:
Nice work but I have a question. Are you just using this for backing up?
If not you may have a problem w/ the cops. That type of camera has the ring of led's glowing while power is applied.
It will definitely get a cops attention so I suggest only having it powered while in reverse.
I was planning on using it just for back up... I am having the shop wire it so it only powers up while backing up!

Only pain in the ass is that the hole it too high, and you really can't angle it down or it will look retardred. So, I have been doing LOTS of grinding... I think I have just about right. I actually got the video going, removing the deck wasn't as bad as I thought...

Looks cool, just tryin to get it where I want it. More pics coming soooon.

·
Registered
330 Posts
HEMI4ME? said:
I was planning on using it just for back up... I am having the shop wire it so it only powers up while backing up!

Only pain in the ass is that the hole it too high, and you really can't angle it down or it will look retardred. So, I have been doing LOTS of grinding... I think I have just about right. I actually got the video going, removing the deck wasn't as bad as I thought...

Looks cool, just tryin to get it where I want it. More pics coming soooon.
Cool, just make sure that you apply power through your reverse wire.
In other threads it is described.
That way the bright led's only show when you're in reverse.

·
Registered
268 Posts
bright LEDS? IR LEDs

I thought these LEDS are infra ted LEDs... I made a recent trip to
S California and visited my favourite stiore- Frys! They had a whole range of cameras (about 15 of em) and got myself a camera which does color in daylight and black and white infrared at night with automatic switching and activation of the LEDS which I assume are IR... hmm- Now I need to go open that packaging and check this out. What angle of view specs does your cam say it has?

Also had a great visit to JonW's "lab" - that guy has an awesome setup and I am planning to encourage him to deliver to me the two input version of his mod along with TVand NAv 2 Go's display mod!

Jaydee

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jaydee said:
What angle of view specs does your cam say it has? Jaydee
HUH? Angle of view specs? I am not sure... Here is a link to the one I bought...
NESA Vision BCC-02 Rear View Camera
Product Description:

100 Foot Waterproof Under Water
Bullet Style Color Camera
1 Lux Low Light Color Camera
RCA Outputs & Din Connector
Bullet-In 11 LED for Night Vision
310,000 Pixels (CCIR)
Operating Temperature: 14°F to 131°F
1-year Authorized Manufacturer's warranty

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PixelPusher said:
sweeeet! I am very interested to hear how you resolve the angle issue as I was planning on having the same thing done. Looks like you did great work on a delicate job, congrats. I wish I had more space to get my hands dirty with stuff like that.
You don't want to know... What I did was I took the dremel to the trunk and made the hole lower by about 1/3" or so. I think this is as good as it is going to be... I wired the thing up and powered it up it works nicely. I painted the cover black, the silver I was not all that happy with. I will have some night time pics up in a few...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the thing in, and epoxied up and painted black. It works and I leveled the thing as best I could. Still aims a little high, but that is as good as it will get unless I angle the lens down and in that case I dont think I would like the look.

Wes or anyone, whay won't the LEDS (bullet in) that you say are so bright and get me in trouble come on? I have the car backed into the garage and the lights all off, it is very dark in there, and the pic on the monitor is all black and the camera has no LEDs shining...

The power and ground for now are attached to the battery (so I could at least get a picture and center the camera lens). :ugh2:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple pics. I painted the cover around the lense black (it was silver) and mounted it.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
to Hemi4Me

Hemi,
I am planning to do this sort of mod in the near future and sure would like to know how you routed the various wires through the system. Would much appreciate it if you could post some of those details here. I have not used the search feature - perhaps there is a post already on here regarding this?
Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
268 Posts
Infra Red LEDS

My two bits on these leds- these are supposed to be higher powered than the ones in IR TV remote controllers- you don't ever see the "light" from IR remote LEDS- that's because infra red is towards the heat end of the electromagnetic spectrum. I would imagine that IR LEDS used for IR illumination would be higher powered.. ON my night ision camera (Sony F707), You can see the LEDS glowing faintly and the distance from object is way more than 25 feet- On the bullet camera such as described by Hemi4me, the IR LEDS probably light up the region about 10 to 15 feet from the camera lens.

If you really want to see IR leds light up, you need an IR capable camera/sensor, point it at the LEDS and see the "light"- It's a kick to do this with IR remotes- that's the only way you will know that the IR remotes are pumping out IR signals..

Jay

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PixelPusher said:
the install looks great.. in the last pic though the field of view does look pretty high.. was the trunk open or closed when you took that pic of the image on the nav screen?

thanks for sharing so much info on your progress!
My drive sloped down a little... It will view to about my waste. I'd say 3 ft or so.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jaydee said:
Hemi,
I am planning to do this sort of mod in the near future and sure would like to know how you routed the various wires through the system. Would much appreciate it if you could post some of those details here. I have not used the search feature - perhaps there is a post already on here regarding this?
Thanks,

Jay
The wires were done by the audio shop. But, you can run the wire under the grey cover through the trunk lid to the rubber gromett that connects the lid to the trunk... Then under the carpet and under the door sills to the back of the radio...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am the first person to critisize even my own mods. So with that said, here is the outcome. I like the look of the camera and where it is mounted is a very very cool looking mod. BUT, it is way to high on the car. I will suggest that if you actually want the camera to be more usable you should mount it in the bumper or on the license plate... Now, I will say this though, it will not "look" as good as this mod.

Here are some pics, the one with the car in it I backed up pretty close to the car, I don't exactly how far away I was from it. I actually think his will be cool when I get some rear head rest monitors. I can have people looking in the car seeing themselves... LOL. I had them wire it to a remote wire so it is on all the time, there is no light coming from it, so it should not draw police attention.

Anyway, I am leaving it as is for cool factor, if I start getting pissy about the view, I will deal with it then.

By the way these pics were from around dusk. 7pm pacific time. The house with the 2 palms in front is mine :banana:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts