Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone who had their stock rims replaced due to pitting has had the problem come up again? Now that the weather is turning cold and salt is being used on the roads, has anyone noticed corrosion or pitting again? Mine were replaced in April/May and still look brand new. Wondering if Chrysler actually got the problem fixed of the first go around?

·
Registered
529 Posts
jcsganga34 said:
I'm curious if anyone who had their stock rims replaced due to pitting has had the problem come up again? Now that the weather is turning cold and salt is being used on the roads, has anyone noticed corrosion or pitting again? Mine were replaced in April/May and still look brand new. Wondering if Chrysler actually got the problem fixed of the first go around?
Mine are OK so far but it may be a little early. I will sure post if I see a problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Cdnhemi said:
Mine are OK so far but it may be a little early. I will sure post if I see a problem.
Same thing for me..............................

·
Registered
482 Posts
I haven't checked mine lately, but I will, now that you mention it. I have an '06, so maybe they are better than they 1st were. The Pacfic Northwett is settling in, so I'd better check them again. Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
pitting wheels

Second winter season in W.PA. Wheels still in great condition and they use tons of salt here because of the steep hills. We average 4' snow a year.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Yep, washed the car today and, oh my god!! At first I thought it was some sort of reaction with Gary's wheel cleaner and the chemicals that are used on the roads here, as It caused a strange heavy film after I used it, but I haven't had a problem with his stuff at all before. I scrubbed it with detail spray and got most of the film off (not easy), but the wheels are corroding and pitting (as much as plastic corrodes). Car is an 06 with 4500 miles, built mid august, put in service October 7th.

Doesn't look as bad from a distance, but up close its not good.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
CUEBALL said:
Yep, washed the car today and, oh my god!! ...the wheels are corroding and pitting (as much as plastic corrodes)...Doesn't look as bad from a distance, but up close its not good.[/IMG]
That's downright nasty, CUEBALL.

Suggestion: When you have them replaced, do both yourself & the dealer a huge favor and have them install the Euro C (aka R/T) rims. That will solve your pitting problems, make a refreshing change in the look of your car, and save the dealer having to special order the US wheels.

Pics here of how she'll look: http://photobucket.com/albums/a243/computermeister/?sc=1&multi=1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I am here to tell you my rims look terrible but that’s ok I use my rims for the winter, and 22’s in the summer! But to deal with the pitting at early stages, try heavy waxing, and thoroughly clearing. That my friend is really the only way to keep the rims looking good through the winter dedication is the key.;-} An I am alil too lazy to clean it everyday, especially after the autobahn cause the heat from braking just bakes everything together.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Thanks Meister!! I'll check that out this summer, I leave for the sandbox 'real soon'.

Irwin, I used plain car wash for 20 or so washes, wheel cleaner for 4. Spray off with plain water every time I take it on the autobahn. Still started corroding. Oh well, gives me an excuse to get 20's, and replacements from the dealer.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have been to 2 diffrent dealerships and they both wouldnt replace my rims. there is obvious pitting on all 4 wheels. they told me some bs line that since my car originally came from up north that is was caused by road salt (BullSh*t) and that they wont fix them. i have given up on the issue and just waiting to figure out if i want to change out the wheels or not. i havent had my car for over 2 months bow anyways because of hurricane damage. but on the positive there was so much body damage that i am getting a completely new paint job on my car from top to bottom so i guess that makes things a lot better :wave:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
CUEBALL said:
Thanks Meister!! I'll check that out this summer, I leave for the sandbox 'real soon'...
Godspeed, CUEBALL. :wave: You'll be in our thoughts & prayers.

We're all too aware that the sandbox is no playground.

urbanchemist said:
i have been to 2 diffrent dealerships and they both wouldnt replace my rims. there is obvious pitting on all 4 wheels.
Hi, urbanchemist. It's good to see here on 300C. My apologies for the late props if you've been here a while.

So far, no members on this forum, TMK, have been ultimately unsuccessful in getting their pitted wheels replaced. I've seen a dozen or more reports where they have been successful. A forum search of older threads on the subject will get your to them, with perhaps some suggestions for making your dealer(s) more responsive. I'd also expand my list of dealers to visit with the intent of a warranty replacement.

A thought: If the agro from your dealers wears you down to the point that it's not worth fighting them over the wheels, keep in mind that market price for a new set of rims with near-new Contis, with near-new Goodyears also a possibility now, is $500 for either the 300C or the R/T rims. I love my "Euro C" rims. All you'd need to go that route is a set of Dodge R/T rims and a set of the Chrysler center caps (inexpensive). Your pitting worries will be gone forever with these rims. There's a link to pics of them in my earlier post to CUEBALL.

Good luck with the newly spruced-up car, BTW - I truly hope they've been able to make it near-new at the very least. (Sorry to hear of the hurricane damage.)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Pitting problem solved

jcsganga34 said:
jcsganga34,

A brand new set of 22-inch Weld Evo's will solve that problem right away and they will come with a 5-year chrome plated warranty.......lol.

Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Meister said:
A thought: If the agro from your dealers wears you down to the point that it's not worth fighting them over the wheels, keep in mind that market price for a new set of rims with near-new Contis, with near-new Goodyears also a possibility now, is $500 for either the 300C or the R/T rims. I love my "Euro C" rims. All you'd need to go that route is a set of Dodge R/T rims and a set of the Chrysler center caps (inexpensive). Your pitting worries will be gone forever with these rims. There's a link to pics of them in my earlier post to CUEBALL.
Got any more info on those rims? Where did you get them? Is there a part number? Size? Those look pretty good, just like the AWD rims. If they are that cheap, might be a decent replacement.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
DucatiBoy said:
Got any more info on those rims? Where did you get them? Is there a part number? Size? Those look pretty good, just like the AWD rims. If they are that cheap, might be a decent replacement.
That's an easy one, DucatiBoy - the "Euro 300C" wheel is a Dodge Magnum/Charger rim with the horny goat centercap removed and a Chrysler centercap (2 1/8") added.

Most of the info is back in post #13. It's not beyond reason that you could get a set of near-new R/T rims and tires, hopefully the new GYs, from one of your local Dodge dealers for $500, then turn around and sell your 300C rims, assuming they're in decent, perfect isn't required, shape to a Chrysler dealership in your area for something over $300, more if you've replaced your tires recently. Your Chrysler dealer can order the center caps in for you if not in stock.

Just as is the stock 300C wheel, the Dodge R/T rim measures 18x7.5".

Comment
: As much as I like these rims, the 7.5" width rules out some awesome performance tires. When I next spend money on rims it will be for a nice set of 18x8.5" rims - they open up an entire new field of available tires while retaining all choices presently offered for the stock rim.

My current choice is here: http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Cal...rive&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=&showRear=null

It's the Borbet Type TS, 18x8.5, Borbet Type TS, 18x8.5, $199, on my wish list at Tire Rack for a while now.

Good luck with your decisions. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Meister. You can have your tires split and have added width plugged in for about $100-$150 per rim. Much, much cheaper than new rims. They are as strong, if not stronger than factory castings. If you don;t mind a couple of weld seams on the deep inside edge, where it will never be seen, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
XCITsNU said:
Hi Meister. You can have your tires split and have added width plugged in for about $100-$150 per rim. Much, much cheaper than new rims. They are as strong, if not stronger than factory castings. If you don;t mind a couple of weld seams on the deep inside edge, where it will never be seen, this is the way to go.
Thanks for the comment, Jeremy. That's the direction I was originally going to take, in fact had started the process of picking up another set of R/T rims at a reasonable price to be widened. That would leave me 2 originals as spares, and give me 2 for a special project I've been anticipating for a while. ;)

But the new wheel guys have convinced me to hold off - one of their quotes was "You'll be driving on bent rims forever", his point, of course, being that even the better wheel guys can't split a rim and have it turn out as true as an original rim.

If you have direct evidence to the contrary, I'd certainly appreciate hearing it. :)

And that goes for anyone else out there with direct knowledge, especially in Arizona.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pitting has me so worried on my SRT-8 that I clean my rims every night. Luckily I was into this habit with my G35 so it isnt that big a deal and only takes a few minutes.

I have to say I will be pissed if these rims start pitting as I dont want aftermarket rims. (Only because I really like the stock srt-8 rims)

I guess we shall see

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem. plastic allows elements to enter.

:wall:
jcsganga34 said:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts