Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of the run around.
I am not getting a straight answer anywhere.
Here is what my car does...
When COLD.... It shifts awful! It revs very high... Around 3500-4000 before it hardly moves and then it doesn't shift very good IMO. It does NOT clunk or make sounds or anything like that.
When it's warm it seems just fine. Usually takes a couple minutes or so of driving or long enough for the fluid to move around. I would say the car doesn't even have to be fully warmed up before it starts to get better.

Here is what I have done....
Took it to get it serviced. Left the car and they said it would not need changed but a flush would be good so I agreed. They said it has a nylon filter and those don't need changing.. They just need to be flushed. I knew no different.
I only had it serviced (flushed) because the car was new to me and I wanted my own record of what's been done to it. At that time I didn't feel a reason to do it at all.
It was not cold when I first got the car so I didn't have the concern I have now.

I took it to the most reputable local shop we have and they told me the transmission fluid looked good.. Obviously. They said it shifted fine to them. They said when these "types" of transmissions are cold they tend to shift how I described and it's just the character of the car. He then explained how his wife has a new 2012 Lexus that shifts like mine when it's cold.
I highly doubt that!
Any insight?
I am very close to ordering the Tranzformer but am afraid that maybe my transmission won't/can't handle it?

As I said... When the car is warm it seems just fine. I often wonder if the transmission fluid isn't low but it's not leaking and that's a "dealer only" deal right?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Slip is always bad in any trans. Just like you engine the oil pressure in a trans is HIGHEST when cold.

This is likely low on fluid. It will kill the gearbox early. My car has never done this in nearly 8 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
You don't mention mileage or service record.

Quite pussy footing around and take it to a stealership.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
You don't mention mileage or service record.

Quite pussy footing around and take it to a stealership.
And they know better? That's a massive assumption... been to 7 dealers in two countries in 6 years and have found one mechanic at one of them that actually knew what he was talking about 90% of the time. The one I have now is terrible, but at least changes what I ask for so problems get fixed instead of hitting the back burner! Lol

As for the OP... check your fluid levels... they do sound low. Your right in being concerned with the 'ah they all do it' b.s... they don't. Also if it were my car, at 120,000 miles I would be changing the filter as well. It is just a plain old filter, nothing special, if the car has been driven and not towed the last 120k then its time for a change. ;)

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And they know better? That's a massive assumption... been to 7 dealers in two countries in 6 years and have found one mechanic at one of them that actually knew what he was talking about 90% of the time. The one I have now is terrible, but at least changes what I ask for so problems get fixed instead of hitting the back burner! Lol

As for the OP... check your fluid levels... they do sound low. Your right in being concerned with the 'ah they all do it' b.s... they don't. Also if it were my car, at 120,000 miles I would be changing the filter as well. It is just a plain old filter, nothing special, if the car has been driven and not towed the last 120k then its time for a change. ;)

How do I check the fluid level? I thought that was a dealer only thing?

·
Registered
557 Posts
i took mine to the dealer, and they checked it for free. I did not buy the car there, or know anyone - just pulled up in the service line and told them I needed to have the trans fluid level checked.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took mine to the dealer, and they checked it for free. I did not buy the car there, or know anyone - just pulled up in the service line and told them I needed to have the trans fluid level checked.
It will cost me $44.95 just to check the fluid level or $195 to change the filter. May as well just change the filter. Hard lessened learned I guess. I just spent $110 a month ago to have it flushed and changed.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
It's brutal that they are going to charge you... really ridiculous... Well may as well have the filter done as you say, offset the difference!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's brutal that they are going to charge you... really ridiculous... Well may as well have the filter done as you say, offset the difference!
Yes it is but it's a chance I am willing to take.
I am NOT sold on the excuse that it's normal. I'm not.
This car HAS to last me a long as possible... At least out last my divorce troubles... If that's possible.
They told me that they don't really like to "flush" transmissions because they can retain water/moisture which they say sounds like what I described is happening in to mine. They say it sounds like my filter has moisture and is freezing during the overnight hours and it has a hard time allowing the oil to pass through until it starts to melt. To a person that knows nothing about transmissions it kinda made sense to me? Kinda? But still wonder about what it was I just paid $110 for a month ago that they called a "flush".
They did tell me that it could also be low on transmission fluid as well. They seem to believe that the shop I took it to may not have had the proper equipment but they were a reputable auto shop.
Oh well... Goes in Thursday for a filter change.
Hope it fixes it or makes it better at least.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Our transmition oil needs to be heated to a certain degree and then measured before it goes in the transmition.
Just like Sodak says... if its not then the level can and probably will be off. So before they take care of the levels your doing the right thing by doing the filter... once you get this right I see lots of smiling ex wife free miles in your future! ;) Sorry to hear of your troubles!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just like Sodak says... if its not then the level can and probably will be off. So before they take care of the levels your doing the right thing by doing the filter... once you get this right I see lots of smiling ex wife free miles in your future! ;) Sorry to hear of your troubles!

Thanks for the advice.. It's all good! You put a smile on my my face! :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Our transmition oil needs to be heated to a certain degree and then measured before it goes in the transmition.
Funny you say that.. They did mention that to me. The fluid has to be a certain temperature. The shop I had flush it did NOT say that to me at all. I am betting that is half my problems then!

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Trans fluid expands a lot as it heats up. There is a scale of fluid temp versus level in the trans pan in millimeters.

It's easy to do yourself with a cheap infrared spot thermometer and a Miller dipstick tool. You can even make one out of a giant zip tie and mark it yourself.

Stealerships are very pleased with "lifetime sealed" transmissions!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,
I live in CT and had same problems when cold. I only had 40k miles. Took to dealer because of no dipstick/temperature level stuff to mess with. Anyways paid $120 for the flush and car has been fine since. It was 6 degrees F this am and shifted fine. With your hi miles the filter could use the change. i plan to flush and change filter at 80 K. Hope it works out OK.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Home Depot 43" zip tie.
Mark a point 70mm from the pointy end of the zip tie.
Mark another one 850mm from the pointy end.
Take the car for a drive and get it up to operating temperature.
With the car running, remove the trans tube cap and insert the zip tie until it bottoms out.
Do this as soon as you stop the car. VERY Important!
The 850mm mark will almost be flush with the top of the tube.
Wait 5 seconds and pull the zip tie out.
The fluid level should be at or within 5 mm of the bottom mark.
If low bring the level up SLOWLY by adding fluid. These tranny's DO NOT ike to be overfilled.

I've done this many times to many cars. In the beginning it was verified with the miller tool and he fuid temps on the Transformer. VERY VERY close.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just dropped it off to get the verdict! I should know in the next 15 hours or so.
It's - 44 below zero with the windchill so they will definitely get the same issues I have had!
I will post what they tell me.
Thanks!
Chad

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Home Depot 43" zip tie.
Mark a point 70mm from the pointy end of the zip tie.
Mark another one 850mm from the pointy end.
Take the car for a drive and get it up to operating temperature.
With the car running, remove the trans tube cap and insert the zip tie until it bottoms out.
Do this as soon as you stop the car. VERY Important!
The 850mm mark will almost be flush with the top of the tube.
Wait 5 seconds and pull the zip tie out.
The fluid level should be at or within 5 mm of the bottom mark.
If low bring the level up SLOWLY by adding fluid. These tranny's DO NOT ike to be overfilled.

I've done this many times to many cars. In the beginning it was verified with the miller tool and he fuid temps on the Transformer. VERY VERY close.
I will definitely remember this Montreal!
These are the things I want to learn about cars! Tricks and secrets! Absolutely amazes me!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts