Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:smashfreaHello. New to the forum. I've visited in the past, but once again have found myself here tonight, due to.....ISSUES! I'm not sure yet if this is where I can post the problems I'm having, so correct me if it's not, but I am desperate.
After 2 years of you know what with my transmission, I finally got it fixed 'right' a week ago Wednesday... $4300 dollars later, it's run pretty good for a week. (Also had a tune-up done while it was there) I did notice that it was hesitating to start just a little but when I picked it up from Trans shop. I had to take it back to them between 7-10 days so they could check for leaks, etc. I did this yesterday and there were no leaks and when I asked about 'hesitation' they stated that was 'normal' and probably just needed to be 'broken in' and if it was still doing it in a month, to bring it back. WELL. Tonight I go to get in my car and it does the hesitation on start once again but it has an even harder time tonight and sounded as though something was 'knocking' loudly inside and the whole engine shook then died. It would turn over it seemed and then die on me. The "Oil Pressure" light also came on during this time. I have never seen this light come on before except for the standard 'on start' 2 seconds that it comes on in every 300... Last Wednesday when I picked my car up from trans shop, I took it to get an oil change because it seriously has NOT been driven for nearly 2 years due to trans issue and many many issues with trying to find a trans shop even willing to fix a Nag1 trans (and due to chrysler making it to where hardly any one has access to the tool to check transmission fluid) besides a Chrysler dealer, who screwed me over initially when trans first went bad and screwed me out of $500 for no reason without fixing any issue. Anyways. I checked the oil and it shows on dipstick plenty of oil. I am just trying to figure out what the heck is going on now. Now once again I cannot drive my car, it won't even stay on. I have had such horrible issues with this car and I am fed up with it. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I am desperate once again and completely out of money for this wonderful wonderful car!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oil pump.

If it sat for two years and all you did was an oil change you may have more issues. It needs a coolant flush, probably new belts and hoses, new fuel and air filter. Spark plugs are possible too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ Nailfoot-

Thanks for your response. I was able to get it going when I would turn key from off to the 'on' position, leave a few seconds and repeat this about 6 times. It would then start up and work fine. Everytiime I went to get in my car however, 99% of the time I had to do the above mentioned steps. Well yesterday that little trick wouldn't work and it refused to turn over. It tried, but it wouldn't turn over completely. Had it towed to Trans shop where I just got it out of, just in case it was something they did, and they're looking at it now. They called me and said they can't hear the fuel pump even coming on, so they're leaning towards a fuel pump. I suspected that before I took it in and before you mentioned it, I just had wishful thinking it was something else. A few years ago my Mitsubishi Eclipse' fuel pump went out and it was suddenly. Ran into a store, came out and it would not crank AT ALL. Thaat's anothee reason I sort thought maybe it wasn't my fuel pump in the 300c cuz it was gradual... Of course I knew letting it sit for that long would lead to other problems, but I could not get it fixed for that long. Wasn't an optionn..\
I DID have the trans shop perform a tune up to it also before I picked it up a few weeks ago. They replaced the 16 spark plugs etc....
Also, one shop I called to get an estimate told me that my car has two fuel tanks, therefore 2 fuel pumps and one is more expensive than the other to fix. Do you know if this is true? I cannot find ANYTHING about the fuel pump(s) in my car.
Thankyou

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Not cranking should be a function of electrical and the starter motor/battery strength. I doubt very much that a defective fuel pump would cause the car not to crank (try to start). No fuel flow would make it impossible to actually start, but not to crank/try.

The fact you heard knocking and then the motor shock hard and died is much more concerning for me... that could be something broke loose and crapped a cylinder or something. Now you may have to get into the motor (remove plugs and see if they look damaged / do a compression test / take the heads off and look at the piston tops, etc.).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts