Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, first post. I've been all over this forum for this issue, which is why I'm posting a new thread about it...

I picked up another 2006 300C recently, and it's having the steering column issue of nothing working.. the mirrors DO work though, so all the fuses are good, it's everything on the column itself.. stalk switches / horn / radio-nav controls.

The clockspring was bad from the ticking sounds it was making.. replaced that, no problem, turning the wheel is much better, but the controls still don't work.

I pulled out the SCCM to inspect the board.. looks good. no corroded circuit traces, no popped capacitors.. so nothing tell tale wrong with it... all the connections under the dash are good, there's no broken wires as far as I can tell.

Don't believe it goes down to the front control module under the hood.. horn and blinkers work with the alarm system...

Would rather NOT drop nearly $400 on a new SCCM without being more sure than I am now (50/50) that it will correct the issue.. I suppose the question would be is there any way to be sure the SCCM is the culprit? Has anyone else encountered this level of issues regarding this?

Appreciate any and all assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
There was an issue with the wiring from the dash to the column being a bit short. Check that the electrical connector plug is fully engaged in the plug.

Reactions: emc2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was an issue with the wiring from the dash to the column being a bit short. Check that the electrical connector plug is fully engaged in the plug.
I'm currently pulling the wheel and dash apart to double check these connections, actually I'm sitting in the driver seat with the entire steering column taken apart. I see the connector for the steering column control module.. and yea... I really can't see anything wrong with it. Seems to be plenty of slack from the female connector into the wire harness. I see 3M 951 wire disconnects on the ignition wires, I don't know if those are factory or if someone had a remote start in this at some point. The one thing that keeps me wondering about it is the guy I got it from said the functions were working intermittently before failing all together (I'm a trained mechanic, so this didn't scare me) - the power and drive trains are superb.. I can deal with the rest.

Immediately I knew the clockspring had to get replaced due to the ticking, I did my research on here about the rest of the issues in the column.. most say clcokspring, clockspring.. I wish it was the answer to the rest, but such is my luck. I'm scratching my head on this one.. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around a stupid little solid state board in the column being the problem..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Threw in the towel. Found a new SCCM for $312. Fuses are all good, wires all good, power is getting to where it should get to. Bleh, you got me this time Chrysler parts. Will update if this took care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So everything is working as it should now. SCCM, clockspring, and steering angle sensor replaced. I would strongly suggest using OEM parts for the clockspring, tried an aftermarket one and it was bound up out of the package, you'll also get no grief from the dealer as you will need to take it to a dealership to have them re-initialize the modules if you replace anything other than just the clockspring, you shouldn't be charged more than an hour / hour and a half labor. They said they had to do an alignment to properly set the sensor, but I suspect it was because I needed one anyway.

If you're unsure and don't want to throw parts at a problem, take it to the dealership first, pay the diag / 1 hour labor fee and have them tell you. While you'll only see U110A, they can go deeper into the modules and pinpoint the problem component (SAS, turn signal switch, etc.). Decline their $900 offer for the job, buy the parts through their parts dept (because A)you'll want to use OEM parts B)in most cases, they can have the part the next day if you order early enough, two days max, and you don't pay shipping), do the job yourself in less than 30 minutes and bring it back to have them initialize the computer (if you do more than the clockspring that is).

In alot of these cases I notice the clockspring and steering angle sensor go hand in hand, so the dealership will be needed.

Based off the hourly labor by me ($140 p/h), with OEM parts ($254 for clockspring, $84 for SAS, $312 for SCCM), this job cost me about $800 to do myself. Pricey, a little, but it needs to be done. My symptoms have gone a bit further than the norm it seems, you shouldn't have to replace the SCCM under normal circumstances for this issue, so $500-600 is probably the normal range to fix this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts