Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My purpose for this thread is to tap the brains of the car experts and others who regularly dabble with their rides. Of course many of these tips can apply to all vehicles, but I want to become intimate with my 300C and treat her well.

I look at my 300C and see a highly technical leading edge vehicle that I spent a lot of money on. I want to keep it for a long time. I know about the normal maintence routines - oil changes (not an at home maintenance item, but to me the one regular visit to your dealership), wash/wax the car, check air pressure in the tires, look at fluid levels occassionally (oil, transmission, radiator).

I know for a fact I should be doing more at home monitoring of my vehicle. How ofter should I check the air filter? Is there anything in the engine I should check regularly? How about underneath the vehicle? I mean, there are autoparts stores out their for a reason. i sometimes feel trapped into relying 100% on a dealership, and drive my car for miles without thinking (until you hear something that causes you to make a dealership appointment).

So for all of you car doctors out there - could you start listing your medical treatment of your cars? What are things you do on your own? What things to you replace, and how often?

Thanks all!!

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Why isn't an oil change an "at home" item? It is one of the simplest things to do on a car, and it gives you the chance to notice other things (like leaks, etc.) that you might not discover 'til it is too late otherwise. If you do it yourself then you KNOW what oil is really in there, and you KNOW if it has a good quality filter (i.e. not Fram or other similar garbage) and you KNOW the drain plug is not stripped out from some idiot torquing it to 500 lb/ft! And you can take the used oil to most any 'quickee-lube' type place because they usually get paid for their used oil -- or use it to heat their shop in the winter.

Air filter -- about 10,000 miles is a good rule of thumb, but that can vary depending on where you drive. I'd say inspect it every other oil change if you do 3000 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i couldn't agree more with KJ. when i first came on this board it was he and some others who convinced me that i could change the oil myself. on my car it's $75-100 at the dealer to do so. oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle, imo it's the one thing you should do yourself if possible for all the reasons KJ mentioned.

air filters, wiper blades, cabin air filter (if equipped) are all good things to keep track of changing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Speaking of cabin air filters I just bought a new one from NAPA. the part # is 4909 for $10. Check the outrageous price at your dealer! Extremely easy installation and Spring is a good time to replace the cabin air filter!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thanks for the tip big snake.

As for changing the oil, its really easy on the 300, everything is easy to reach.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How do you guys change the oils? I mean, do you hoist the car on 4 jackstands or do you simply drive it up a ramp and leave the 2 rear wheels on the ground? The oil drain seems to be angled to promote the car being raised only at the front.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just curious, I used to change my oil on all my cars but not on my 300.When you bring the car in to have the the oil change from the dealer or anywhere else they grease the front end, i never did it when i changed it myself.I guess my question is do the front end has to be greased or not.Dont know much about cars.Also do they do anything diffrent whith an oil change then me if i do it myself.Thanks.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Just follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and you will be OK. If you don't have the dealer perform the service, then keep your receipts and records in case warranty issues develop.

Although not required to maintain warranty, you might want to clean the throttle body around 30k miles, and clean the fuel injection system.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Just curious, I used to change my oil on all my cars but not on my 300.When you bring the car in to have the the oil change from the dealer or anywhere else they grease the front end, i never did it when i changed it myself.I guess my question is do the front end has to be greased or not.Dont know much about cars.Also do they do anything diffrent whith an oil change then me if i do it myself.Thanks.
I honestly don't remember for sure if there are any greasable components on the front end of the 300; I believe the outer tie rod ends are greasable and that's it, but I could be wrong ( I have 3 cars and two pickups, plus take care of my Dad's vehicles....so they all blend together sometimes....).

You can pick up a grease gun pretty cheaply at any auto parts store (under $20 for a decent one) and do that yourself too...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
How do you guys change the oils? I mean, do you hoist the car on 4 jackstands or do you simply drive it up a ramp and leave the 2 rear wheels on the ground? The oil drain seems to be angled to promote the car being raised only at the front.
I drive it up ramps, I find i always have to put something unmoveable behind the ramps so they dont move while driving up the ramps (this is the only car ive had that issue with).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Last time I took it to the dealer and had the oil changed i didnt see them grease anything (stood there while they changed oil). So i guess there isnt anything up there to grease. Could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I drive it up ramps, I find i always have to put something unmoveable behind the ramps so they dont move while driving up the ramps (this is the only car ive had that issue with).
So you drive it up and have the front 2 wheels on the ramp and the rear wheels still on the ground, or do you have 4 ramps and put the whole car up?

Last time I took it to the dealer and had the oil changed i didnt see them grease anything (stood there while they changed oil). So i guess there isnt anything up there to grease. Could be wrong tho.
You're correct. There is nothing to grease up front. Everything is sealed.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thanks everybody,maybe it was my older cars from years ago that they had to grease, what i dont know!Maybe i was thinking of the tire rods like Kevenj said.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
So you drive it up and have the front 2 wheels on the ramp and the rear wheels still on the ground, or do you have 4 ramps and put the whole car up?

You're correct. There is nothing to grease up front. Everything is sealed.
I just drive up the 2 fronts, but i find that i have to place them against the edge of my garage floor (my garage floor is higher then my driveway), so that the ramps dont move (big problem i ran into in the garage)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't want to post how I change my oil...:smashfrea Always get a hard time.....

Ahhh... Ok I will....:biggrin:

But even without that... Changing oil is really easy....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I don't want to post how I change my oil...:smashfrea Always get a hard time.....

Ahhh... Ok I will....:biggrin:

But even without that... Changing oil is really easy....
god damn, never seen that one before

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've always changed the oil on all our vehicles. The '97 Grand Caravan was so easy I could almost get to the filter&plug on one knee in front. The plastic "Gerry cans" are the best to store it and most gas stations etc. will take the used oil. My 300 is only a month old and I figured I'd treat myself to letting the dealer change the oil the first time. That was untill I read here that the correct weight oil was required for the MDS.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I've always changed the oil on all our vehicles. The '97 Grand Caravan was so easy I could almost get to the filter&plug on one knee in front. The plastic "Gerry cans" are the best to store it and most gas stations etc. will take the used oil. My 300 is only a month old and I figured I'd treat myself to letting the dealer change the oil the first time. That was untill I read here that the correct weight oil was required for the MDS.
Off topic I realize, but your avatar is quite disturbing! :scared: :scared:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've noticed that the car is a BIG TIME dirt and leaf collector at the trunk and hood strut areas. Pop the trunk and hood and get busy! I took off of work and did some spring engine cleaning. Over the winter I had a squirrels nest built up under there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts