Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You plugging in your phone to charge when this happens? That will cause some static especially if it's a knock off charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
1) I do have tint, no metal and was acting up before the windows were tinted.
2) Factory radio, yes
3) Phone is not plugged in
..and yes I also have the factory rubber antenna.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I thought the antenna for the radio was in the rear window. Did they move it to the rubber stubby? I thought that was the siriusXM antenna in the gen I cars.

Radio reception wasn't the best in my gen I cool V. Mine was an '05, so maybe they moved the antenna in an attempt to improve it?

But just confirming I don't think the reception was very good in gen I.

It seems to have improved somewhat in gen II however.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I too have poor am radio reception and a previous, owner installed, rear window tinting.

It occurs to me that a quick way to determine if the rear window antenna is the problem - is to install a temp. external radio antenna.

Does anybody know an EASY way to access the antenna connection at the back of the car?

Certainly I don't want to pull the radio itself. Perhaps there is a place through the trunk or behind the back seat? I'm not opposed to removing the rear window tint but I don't want to do that if the tint is NOT the problem. My understanding is that the hockey puck thingie on the roof not associated with am radio reception.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No it's not just you, I noticed it in mine also. Both AM and FM are really poor, nothing but static. No window tint yet, either. The satellite radio is just about perfect, though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Your am/fm antenna is "printed" on the inside of the rear window. The Sat antenna is a separate device on the rear roof.

I just spent $40 to remove a previous owner installed the rear window tint. Am/fm now okay. The vendor of the tint product swore he had never had a problem. :grumble:

The rear window antenna can be damaged from the inside by packages on the rear shelf or overly aggressive cleaning. Sometimes you can find the damage/break by a careful inspection and sometimes it can be repaired. Repair of anything these days is a lost art so you may have to DIY of search around for an old timer tech.

·
Registered
1 Posts
poor radio reception

Old thread but I was scratching around for answers on my poor radio reception but came up with nothing, so decided to tear down the damn thing myself to see what I could find. I have a 2008 facelift mk1 300c with Mygig and it does have the little rubber antenna on the roof.

So the problem was I was only able to get maybe 2, at best 3 FM radio stations and 1 AM station. Not ideal, frustrating and something was clearly wrong. So checked the connection at the back of the radio, all OK. Pulled down the rear trim panel behind the rear headrests that leads to the headliner, you can find the antenna lead there. Removed the rear passenger roof light that same side and then eased down the roof lining. Access was now possible.

The roof antenna is the FM and AM antenna, so disconnected the antenna lead from the roof antenna and pulled it far enough out so I could access the leads end. Pushed a small precision screwdriver in the end of the lead to make it into a complete antenna and tested the radio, instantly the radio found 20 or so stations with just a tiny screwdriver plugged in the end. So everything was still OK to this point. Must be the roof antenna issue.

The roof antenna has two leads going to it, one 12v, the other the antenna connection. So it is an active antenna module, just like the earlier 300's but it's now part of a roof antenna. I checked the 12v and that was fine, so this led me to the conclusion that the roof antenna was faulty. $50 for a new one but by this point I was pretty sure it was the problem. Installed the new antenna, plugged it all in and now have prefect radio reception. Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try unconnecting and reconnecting your battery. Sounds silly but it just worked for me.
Try unconnecting and reconnecting your battery. Sounds silly but it just worked for me.
G, thanks for post. I've read many on this subject. I had narrowed it down after following other failed recommendations, that I was going to need to change out antenna module. That is a pain! I caught your post and gave it a shot to find it fixed problem. A hard boot to your car is never a silly idea.
Thanks for the post!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts