Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any gains? I had it off this morning so I did a Port and polish job on it. Not sure if there is any power gain, but the motor revs like a FERRARI! It just shoots up to redline.

Wonder if the computer is going to adjust to it? I reset the throttle calibration, so that should be good to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The wide open throttle flow will be the almost same as the stock throttle body so you will probably not see any HP gains unless you thinned down the shaft and throttle blade. However, you may see an increase in part throttle response like I did when I ported mine.

The down side is that I was getting a surge in reverse while the computer tried to adjust itself. After putting in the Preditor tune, that surge went away.

Radshop

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK fellas. Can you enlighten us about exactly what you did? I want to try and tackle something like this myself. Things like:
What kind of tool did you use? (Dremel)
What grit sandpaper did you use?
How long did it take?

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK fellas. Can you enlighten us about exactly what you did? I want to try and tackle something like this myself. Things like:
What kind of tool did you use? (Dremel)
What grit sandpaper did you use?
How long did it take?
For sure I will do it to. With some explination I'll try :fing02:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a copy of the PM I sent to mjc:

When you remove the throttle body and look at it, you'll see that the areas in the front and back of the plate are rough. The idea is to smooth it out.

I personally like using a Dremel and sanding drum for this kind of work. Some people think the Dremels are too weak and prefer to use a die grinder with a grinding bit. Whatever you prefer is what to use. The Dremel is easier for me to control in small areas, so I'd rather take longer and no have any screw ups then use a bulky die grinder and have to worry about taking a chunk out of an area where I don't want to.

Its a real easy job. I didn't even bother removing the plate. The areas close to the plate are smooth, so they don't really need to be touched. Whatever you do though, make sure you get ALL the residue out. Last thing you need is for metal bits to be running through your motor.

The intake manifold and head ports can be done almost the same way. I haven't gotten that far yet though.:biggrin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks again Mike. Giving this a shot until I see some independent testing and much less expensive TB offerings in the future. Good no cost option at this point. I already ahve a BWoody ported and polsihed intake manifold so hopefully this would have some benefit at least in throttle response.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remove the Throttle body from the engine. Wash it to remove all the black soot. Press and hold closed the blade. With a scribe, lightly scribe both sides both the blade. Release the blade and scribe both sides at it's neutral position. lightly scribe both sides. Do not polish past these lines or the throttle body will not seal when closed. Radius the front edge of the inlet side. It doesn't have to high polished. I used 80 grit cartridge rolls. I don't recommend messing with the throttle blade or you may ruin the throttle body.

Radshop

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,
How do you reset the throttle calibration?
Get in the car, close all doors. Turn the key to the "On" position, but don't start the car. Wait until all the dash test lights go out. Then slowly press the gas pedal to the floor and release. Then press it again and release. If you did it right the red light on the dash that tells you when there's and electronic throttle problem (two vertical lines with a lightning bolt) will flash. If it doesn't flash, the calibration didn't take. Try it again, making sure to go all the way to the floor, in a slow steady motion, up and down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank's to both you :biggrin: . I appreciate the help. I will give it a shoot next week-end for sure. :fing02:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Already done. Not difficult at all and I like the results. Like Mike stated, it revs a bit quicker than before; I re-calibrated the throttle just like Mike stated. Again, great info fellas and thanks for the direction to get this done...

·
Registered
151 Posts
UPDATE on this:
I took the TB back off this weekend as I wanted to "clean" it up a bit by taking a medium grit sandpaper to smooth it out a bit more, then wetsand to finalize. Rough edge is now smooth as a baby's butt!! Three other things that I did while having everything apart was to:

Cleaned the filter on my Volant CAI. It's definitley pulling cold air from the bottom of the car since I had a nice bit of debris in the seams of the filter.(Volant box is sealed at the top)
I replaced the hoses to my BT catch can. Originally came with heater hose that can collapse under vacuum or deteriorate from oil seepage. Replaced with new 15/32" Crankcase ventilation hose from Autozone.
Re-calibrated my throttle per Mike's direction. I started the car back up after putting everything together to let it idle. Then shut the car back off and re-calibrated the throttle. Drove the car to work today and the kickdown to a lower gear definitely has a bit more kick in the ass to it.

I'm getting the PPP underdrive pulley installed Saturday morning so I am looking forward to that. I may re-dyno the car but I am not really into the dyno numbers in so much as how the car actually feels. The shop that I am taking it to may want to just to see what kind of gains were made over the last dyno (same shop) but I am not pressed. I really want to get the car back to the track for some runs. Last time the car was totally un-tuned (air to fuel was WAY OFF!!) and I have added a few "bits" since then. I know the car feels much stronger now as opposed to the last time at the track in November; the CMR tune showed gains under the curve at 3k, 4k and 5k rpms that were pretty good. After the pulley install, it's just a point of seeing what it'll do at the track....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't want it too smooth. You need some turbulance to get the air and fuel to mix.

On another note, I'm working on getting an LS2 90mm throttle body on a stock 6.1 manifold. The mounting works fine with the FAST adapter plate, the electronics I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You don't want it too smooth. You need some turbulance to get the air and fuel to mix.

On another note, I'm working on getting an LS2 90mm throttle body on a stock 6.1 manifold. The mounting works fine with the FAST adapter plate, the electronics I'm dealing with.
Awesome :fing02: do we only need to deal with the connectors in order to make this a plug and play thing? :pat:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, its pretty much just the connectors. Its definetly possible since there is a company that sells an LS2 conversion for the 6.1. Unfortunetly it requires their intake manifold too, so the cost is crazy high.

As far as plug and play, I don't think it will ever be. I'd suggest opening up the stock manifolds inlet bore, since with the larger TB and plate and the smaller inlet theres gonna be a lip that will block flow. Very easy to open it up, same procedure as the TB port job. Even then, it kinda kills it for people who just want to bolt stuff on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts