Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished changing the rear pads to posi quiets but there are a few things that I'm not sure about:

-Are the shims on the back of the OEM pads needed? If not, is it ok to install them anyway because I did..
-On each pad there's a square clip of some sort that sticks out, on the OEM rear setup these clips are on the bottom for both sides of the rotor, but with the posi quiets they are opposite each other (one pad has the clip on the bottom the other side is on the top). Any problems with this?
-I felt the front pads and they seem to be only worn half way, I'm sure it's fine to swap the rear and leave the fronts but I thought I'd just throw this out there in case..

Also if any is wondering how long you can still drive the car after the rear pads are squeeking (not THAT noise, the other one), I've went at least 500 miles with light braking and when I removed the rear pads there's about half a centimeter of pad left but they get pretty slim on one side of the pad.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I felt the front pads and they seem to be only worn half way, I'm sure it's fine to swap the rear and leave the fronts but I thought I'd just throw this out there in case...
I don't have any answers about the clips but I do know that the OEM pads have much more grip than the Posi-Quiets. Changing only the rear and leaving the OEM fronts may cause some unwanted braking balance issues.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any answers about the clips but I do know that the OEM pads have much more grip than the Posi-Quiets. Changing only the rear and leaving the OEM fronts may cause some unwanted braking balance issues.
Good point! Hopefully someone could respond with info on that as well.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I have the Centric C-Tek pads which were the predecessor to the Posi Quiets. Mine didn't have the metal shims so I used them. I think I read somewhere that the Posi Quiets have them imbedded. I can't see a reason for them to cause you any grief having them in there though. The tabs are the wear indicators.

You'll notice the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts. That's due to ESP and the brake lock differential our cars use. I routinely turn my ESP off around town. I have to say this is the first car I've ever owned where the rear brakes wear faster.

I'd recommend changing the fronts as well to give you even braking. Make sure to bed your brakes as well.

Bernie

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also if any is wondering how long you can still drive the car after the rear pads are squeeking (not THAT noise, the other one), I've went at least 500 miles with light braking and when I removed the rear pads there's about half a centimeter of pad left but they get pretty slim on one side of the pad.

I was also wondering the same thing.

My brakes started squealing about 3 days ago, I just ordered new pads from DaveZ which wont be here until Wednesday at the earliest. So now I'm stuck without a car until then.

BTW whats the OTHER Squeeking?

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
yessir!

I
You'll notice the rear brakes wear faster than the fronts. That's due to ESP and the brake lock differential our cars use. I routinely turn my ESP off around town. I have to say this is the first car I've ever owned where the rear brakes wear faster.
Gotta agree with that. Truly unique brake wear.

I bought stockers. They'll sit on the shelf. Ready and waiting. 24000 HARD miles and my brakes are still good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts