Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I need some help and this is the absolute best place I can get it, better than the dealer I suspect........
I have an 07' silver CRD, 17k on the clock, and 5k since last service. I know they recommend changing oil every 5k, but have been a little lazy, and cheap.
My problem is, in the past 6 weeks, on 3 or 4 occasions, I will get white plumes of smoke from the exhaust, hangs around for 10 to 15 kms. Is this just a diesel thing? I check the engine, and all looks ok, but it feels as though is running a bit rough. Will get the service shortly, but was just wondering if this has been an issue for anyone else.

Thanks in advance,

Coggo

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've never heard of replacing the oil at 5K

I got my first year service the other day at 10,000 miles and everything has been OK. I'm sure the service interval is 112,500 miles so why would the oil need replaced at 5K?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what has been suggested to me....... diesel engines require the change.
Not true???

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer told me that this reported smoking was caused by using the wrong spec oil on servicing. He admitted that they had made this mistake themselves!!! The oil must be 5/30 LOW ASH diesel engine oil. ( Cost to me on last service £9.50 a litre. Total cost £84.08). He said that changing the oil to the correct spec, cured the problem with no ill effects. He also said that it wasn't necessary to change the oil every 5 thou. He recons every twelve months or 12thou miles was ok. Your vehicle is also equipped with a system which, on a cycle, burns the exhaust very very hot to remove carbon build up and aid emissions. If, like me, you drive short journeys and are trying to get good mpg. this can cause soot build up which, when it burns off, causes a very brief smoking and a stink from the pinging exhaust if you happen to stop when it's on cycle! Hope this is of some help. PS. I cured my exhaust stinking by driving hard now and then. Regards. Merl.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Coggo,

have a look in the back of your owner handbook, it tells you all about service schedules A and B etc

I am not trying to be smart just point you to primary information.

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your problem was burning oil then the smoke would be BLUE.

White smoke is an AIR LEAK in the fuel lines or fuel system somewhere!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
white smoke can also be coolant problems,I'm not saying it is cos I need to see t 1st hand but white smoke is associated with cyl head probs,black smoke is overfuelling and blue smoke is oil being burnt.Hemi oil changes are every 6,000 miles due to the MDS

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
Shout from the states here to add my 2 cents. Could be condensation in the oil. If you don't drive far it might not burn off. Start and stop driving can cause this. Over her they recommend 3,000 mile between oil changes city driving 6,000 highway. Diesel's usually go a little farther. Not much help I'm sure ,but good luck with this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the tips guys. Having read older, similar topic posts and I feel a little more confident its not necessarily a major problem.
Will have the service in about a month and raise the problem and possible solutions, will post an end result.
Thanks guys,
Coggo

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Coggo, just looking through all these posts and noticed that not one of our crowd had realised that you were a totally new member and welcomed you appropriately to our forum and to the European and Diesel pages in particular. You will find us a nice, helpful crowd as has been shown by the response to your problem. So anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy your car and your time with us on here.
Cheers John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks very much for that Watsonofearnock, feel at home already!
Registered a few months ago and routinely check the forum each day, but am glad to pop my posting cherry.
I definitely have more faith in the opinion of members of this forum than the dealer mechanics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts