Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help/advise

Recently the headlight in my 2016 300c stopped working (all the other LED lights etc still work) so I initially thought it was the globe. After replacing the globe and finding out it still didn't work I ended up taking the car the the local dealer to get them to check it (along with fixing a few other electrical things that needed recalibrating etc). Upon collection they informed me that they could not fix it as they suspect it is a Ballast fault with the headlight and proceeded to quote $4500 for a whole new headlight fitted. I originally began to research a second hand headlight from a wreckers but as I did some research I saw that the Ballast unit is attached to the bottom of the headlight unit.

Question: Is it possible just to replace the Ballast unit on the bottom of the headlight unit in order for the headlight globe to work or does the whole headlight need replacing?

I have tried to look through this forum and google and YouTube and maybe I have just missed it but I can't seem to find an answer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your response. The model is 2016 Chrysler 300 C My16 4d Sedan V6.
A few months ago the drivers side globe went out and I purchased some 35W HID D3S globes, I purchased 2 but only replaced the one at the time and it worked. I have now used the other globe I purchased at the same time in the passengers side and it does not work. I tried swapping the globes over to make sure it wasn't a faulty globe but it worked in the drivers side. Since I have put in the new globe it worked once when I was driving the other night and went over a small bump that made it come on and stayed on until I arrived home 15 mins later but when I turned on the car again to check it wasn't working. Thought it may have been a loose connection or cable but checked that and it doesn't seem to be it either. The car dealers/service also checked basically the same ways and came to the faulty ballast conclusion.

Could I have messed up it up potentially months ago when I only replaced the drivers side globe? Should I retry with a new set of globes now?

Also can you confirm that if it is not the globes that I can change the ballast and not the whole headlight? and if this is the case do I have to replace both to match like your suggestion on the globes in pairs?

Again thank you for your help, really appreciate it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which model car do you have? Are your "globes" HID? If you replace globes they should be in pairs and OEM quality. I would follow this procedure before changing ballasts.
Thank you for your response. The model is 2016 Chrysler 300 C My16 4d Sedan V6.
A few months ago the drivers side globe went out and I purchased some 35W HID D3S globes, I purchased 2 but only replaced the one at the time and it worked. I have now used the other globe I purchased at the same time in the passengers side and it does not work. I tried swapping the globes over to make sure it wasn't a faulty globe but it worked in the drivers side. Since I have put in the new globe it worked once when I was driving the other night and went over a small bump that made it come on and stayed on until I arrived home 15 mins later but when I turned on the car again to check it wasn't working. Thought it may have been a loose connection or cable but checked that and it doesn't seem to be it either. The car dealers/service also checked basically the same ways and came to the faulty ballast conclusion.

Could I have messed up it up potentially months ago when I only replaced the drivers side globe? Should I retry with a new set of globes now?

Also can you confirm that if it is not the globes that I can change the ballast and not the whole headlight? and if this is the case do I have to replace both to match like your suggestion on the globes in pairs?

Again thank you for your help, really appreciate it

·
Registered
2006 CRD Touring
3,927 Posts
Can you confirm that your globes are a quality brand, eg Osram? If not, you may be wasting efforts looking for faults elsewhere.

There are a number of DTCs (fault codes) associated with headlight operation, but you will need a good diagnostic (possibly diagFCA or AlfaOBD) to scan for these.

The ballasts can be detached from the headlight unit and replaced separately. I've never needed to replace a ballast during 16 yrs of ownership and I've only replaced the globes once - with Osram. Only one had failed but I replaced the pair.

There are numerous threads on this topic and I would recommend searching the forum for more information. I notice that some have been listed in "Recommended Reading" below this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts