Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, as you guys can tell from my screen name I am a complicated person. This is because I am a very picky person when it comes to cars. Let me first start off by saying that in the past 8 years I have had nothing but problems with my last 2 cars. First car was an American car and second is a Benz. Between the 2 I have been to both dealerships over 50 times with all kinds of issues. I am frankly sick of problems and reliability issues. This is why I need all your help please.

1) When I first saw the 300C I fell in love with it. The style, power, size, and looks. However being that it is a combination of both American and German build I am extremely nervous about buying this car. Now that the car has been out for a couple of months, do you guys think most of the bugs have been fixed? Im really scared of jumping into this car and having all kinds of issues. I just don't have the heart to deal with issues any more.

2) I test drove the 300C last week. It was a fully loaded car minus the navi. Loved it and I know one of the issues was the right pull. However I could not duplicate the issue with my test drive. That was a good thing. I loved the car, I mean this was the most comfortable ride I have ever drove. However when we stopped at a traffic light I felt the car shaking a little and then when I stepped on the gas it went away. I know some of you stated there is an issue at idle. That's what scared me. I checked the built date and it was 7/04. Has this problem been fixed on more recent built dates?

3) Guys, im sorry for the long post but I love this car yet it scares me at the same time. What I need is honest opinions from all of you. Should I buy it now because I do need a new car or should I just go buy a Japanese car and wait 4 years till this car has most issues resolved? What really scares me is also some of the stories about the car not starting, is that still an issue?

Thanks everyone for your time and patience. Any input would be helpful.

P.S. the sticker was 36,650 (something close to that) and I was offered 34,000 flat that's due to my discount with the company I work for. Is that good or can I do better?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I can't add any real value except give you my opinion.
If I wanted to play it safe, I would have waited until the 2006 model.
I decided to go for it. I also bought the zero-deductible 7yr/70000 extended warranty
because of the extensive electronics on the car.
You have to assume Chrysler is very carefully monitoring the
warranty issues on any first year car.
Give them a year to figure out and re-engineer the problems, and then retool the line for the 2006 cars.

My C was built in Aug-04, and it idles smooth as silk.
The only problem I have is the right pull, which I am confident
my dealer will be able to fix when I bring it in for my first oil change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I posted a poll a couple of weeks ago to gauge reliablity, and quite a few responded. Loosely stated, the results: 80% of buyers on this forum had either experienced one trip to the dealer with all problems resolved, or no problems to speak of.
Only 20% had more than one trip to the dealer or problems unresolved.

Click here to view the poll:

http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179

37% said they had absolutely no problems with their C. Overall, these results
look pretty good for a new American model. I expect if this was a Honda or Toyota model the result would be something like 80% with absolutely no problems, so if you want trouble free, better buy a rice burner, if you want to smile while you drive though, get a C! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure of my build date, but we picked up our Satin Jade C on August 27th. We now have 1700 miles on our C and I have not experienced any problems at all, no rough idle and no pulling to the right.The only problem I have is the big grin on my face everytime I get behind the wheel :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I have had a few minor glitches, the Europeans ( I have owned nearly 30) and the Americans are not close to the Japanese. For absolute reliability (though anything can happen) get an Acura TL and drive for an easy likely trouble free 120K. Now, the acura lacks soul and passion and the C has it beat in all but reliability, get the C with 7/70 zero deductable and sell it at 65K and don't worry about it, no wrong decisions all personal choice. I would not trade my C except fot a Maserati Quattroporte but I don't have an extra 70K laying around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The door panel on the driver's side is coming loose. I haven't heard about this problem with anyone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I am ready for it, I dream about it, and want it real bad. :) If I do end up getting it I will probably own it for 5 years max and I usually only put about 10k miles a year. I am not worried about owning the car for a long time nor am I worried about going over 50k miles. Now if a window stops working I don't consider that an issue. That's an easy thing to fix. I am just scared of all the issues that might come up that they may not be able to fix. I am really hoping by November they have all the bugs cleaned out. Does any one know about the problem where the car wont start? Has this issue been resolved on newer models?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
122 Posts
Vanilla said:
The Hyundai Sonata has the best initial quality....
Thats rich. I know they advertise that and then I realize that there are about 3 million catagories so that everyone can be "The Best" in something.

If your looking for a guarantee that nothing will be wrong...stay walkin instead of driving anything. These are all machines. I am guilty myself of wanting perfection in my car. Im making a list to take to the dealer to fix at about 5,ooo miles. Nothing is terrible. The right pull got me early and I ran it back but its been good after a realignment and tire rotation. This car has soul. Period. Nothing out there beats it for sure. If you can pick one up... do it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Blue said:
Thats rich. I know they advertise that and then I realize that there are about 3 million catagories so that everyone can be "The Best" in something.

If your looking for a guarantee that nothing will be wrong...stay walkin instead of driving anything. These are all machines. I am guilty myself of wanting perfection in my car. Im making a list to take to the dealer to fix at about 5,ooo miles. Nothing is terrible. The right pull got me early and I ran it back but its been good after a realignment and tire rotation. This car has soul. Period. Nothing out there beats it for sure. If you can pick one up... do it.
Agreed. "Initial" is the key word here....They don't mention that in 1-2 years the whole car will fall apart and then you get every excuse in the book from the dealers so they don't have to fix anything!

Anyway, just joking. Bottom line is if you want an car with super reliability, don't buy American or German....You're only hope is really Honda or Toyota, and even then not all models...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Has anyone here heard about the transmission problems in certain Honda's (some people are on their third and fourth transmissions)? Or the engine sludge problems on certain Toyota's? These are not minor problems. The point being that anyone can have a problem with any make or model.....I don't care who makes the vehicle.

Let me ask you this. Are there mechanics employed at the Honda and Toyota dealerships? Gee, I wonder why?

My only concern with the 300 is that it is a first year production auto. And, according to this board, people are very satisfied with their purchase. I have yet to see any major issues with this car....just some minor annoyances that the dealer can take care of.

I have purchased many cars over the years...always new. I've yet to have a perfect vehicle. The 300 isn't perfect either, so don't expect perfection. Just be thankful that you can afford one of these beauties and enjoy the ride with a big smile on your face, while you're still here.

I say go for it Complicated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise. I guess at this point I am waiting to see if they found a fix for the surge or push back when people put their car in reverse. I know this does not happen to many but I figure once this problem is solved then the rest I could probably deal with.

Just to keep you guys updated, at this point I am considering one of 2 cars. First being the 300C and second being a lexus IS300. I know they are totally 2 different cars. But the IS300 is one reliable machine that can last for a long time. One plan I have is to buy the IS300 now and then in 3 years trade it in for the 300C. The only questions is, can I really wait :D I don't think so, but I will let you guys know. Thank you

·
Registered
477 Posts
Complicated said:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise. I guess at this point I am waiting to see if they found a fix for the surge or push back when people put their car in reverse. I know this does not happen to many but I figure once this problem is solved then the rest I could probably deal with.

Just to keep you guys updated, at this point I am considering one of 2 cars. First being the 300C and second being a lexus IS300. I know they are totally 2 different cars. But the IS300 is one reliable machine that can last for a long time. One plan I have is to buy the IS300 now and then in 3 years trade it in for the 300C. The only questions is, can I really wait :D I don't think so, but I will let you guys know. Thank you
a word of advice, the lexus is one fine machine, very high quality, however, just get your checkbook ready when maintenance is necessary and it's out of warranty. i know from experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up my 300C Saturday 9/25/04. Built date late Aug. No problems with right pull, engine lurching, electronics etc. The ride is more "bumpy" than my late model Avalon XLS, but road feel gives more confidence when opening the HEMI up on the interstate. Only draw-back is less fuel economy. MPG or HEMI power is a personal choice. Good luck in your quest. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
The surge has been a real issue with me. Its been in 3 or 4 times for it. Funny it did not start until I had like 1000 miles on the car. Sometimes it does it bad, sometimes not as bad, sometimes not at all. It really got in a bad spell the last few weeks. Dealer just put in 5.1 SW. For 4 days all was smooth. This morning guess what, its back. Not a bad one though. I really do not know what to do at this point. I'll monitor it this week and if it gets bad back it goes until they fix it or give me another car.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts