Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently own a BMW 540i (3 years into a 7 year old vehicle) and am looking for the next-best-thing.

The seemingly obvious step would be to to a 530i, 530d or 535d but a colleague pointed me at the 300c.
Looking at the model range (I haven't driven any yet) I can see that the goodie-quotient is as high, if not higher, than the equivalent Beemer.

What worries me, tho, is the get-up-and-go.

I'm starting to think of the 3.0 CRD, which has a 0-60 time of 7.5ish seconds, versus my 540's time of 6.4. I would consider the 5.7l but that just seems way over the top.
Mind you, I only do ~7,000 miles a year so I'm not completely sold on the diesel vs petrol argument.

Any other BMW converts? Any advice on moving from German ownership to a Chrysler? Dealer/manufacturer issues?
I should add that the BMW dealers I have had (frequent) contact with have been exemplary; just not cheap!

Cheers
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
If you are talking a CRD you are obviously from across the pond. In my opinion, if you are only doing 7,000 miles per year, fuel consumption would be be a minor consideration. I would get the Hemi. You don't have to drive like a maniac to enjoy it. I never get tired of the effortless power and the sound, even at part throttle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I went from a Dinan 540iA Sport to my current SRT8. Would never have considered any 300 other then an SRT8. The others can't touch the E39s handling or acceleration and IMO are just no fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
If you are talking a CRD you are obviously from across the pond. In my opinion, if you are only doing 7,000 miles per year, fuel consumption would be be a minor consideration. I would get the Hemi. You don't have to drive like a maniac to enjoy it. I never get tired of the effortless power and the sound, even at part throttle.

I agree!! And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
If you are worried about get up and go, then get the SRT8. I know fuel is expensive where you are, but at 7000 miles annually, you will not pay that much more than you would for the 5.7L Hemi. If you think the SRT8 is way over the top, then get the 5.7L Hemi. If you are on a budget, get the 3.0 CRD, but it will not handle or accelerate as well as your 540. Check my signature, and you will see what I would get "if I were you" :)

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum from Scotland. I take it you are living in the UK and hence would be better off taking some advice from someone suffering the same level of taxation and road user persecution as yourself. The CRD has plenty of get-up-and-go for anyone unless you intend using it on a track. Many of our European members have "chipped" their car with a tuning box - which gives them 0-60 times of around 6.4secs. In normal use the engine is totally muted and you would not be aware that you are driving an oil burner. The engines are produced by Mercedes Benz as is the gearbox and brakes, floorpan, suspension and many of the electrical and computer systems are the result of cooperation between Chrysler and Mercedes. The cars in the UK are all manufactured at Graz in Austria.
There is a degree of friendly rivallry between petrol driven and diesel powered 300C's on this site's European & Diesel pages - European & Diesel Powered 300 Models but all will agree that by far the most popular of the 300C's in the UK and in fact in Europe is the diesel model. If you are in doubt about buying one why not join in our discussions and watch and learn from others before making a move. We have had a few members who have joined up 3 or 4 months before buying their Chrysler and have contributed well to the site. One chap like that is "Propus" who started a thread Test Drive which you should have a look at. Another who has now bought his car is "Elpirata" who ran a thread only 3 days to go :) Hope all this has been of some service and help to you and that you will make yourself known on the European pages where you will receive loads of encouragement.
Cheers John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, thanks very much everyone for the frank responses.

Looks like our cousins in North America would do anything but drive the diesel!
In particular, I'm well impressed with srt8man's 0-60 time - something to aspire to!

And thanks for the very full response from John - great advice.

Cheers all, and will definitely be haunting the forums.
Scott

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
heyup,its me,the bain of everyones life.lol,watson(john)is right but it depends on your time of life,although the "CRD" is quick when chipped but a "HEMI" with a Diablo Predator (programmed,not chipped,there is a difference)takes 0-60 in very low 5 secs with ESP "ON" and you can even raise the top end speed,tranny shift firmness and raise the rpm to 7000rpm(mines set to 6700,just in case).Im sorry to say this but a diesel chip just puts excess feul through the injectors but if your not getting extra air aswell into the mixture then its not burning fuel correctly and running rich(black sooty smoke{NoX} and thats then really bad stuff that the gov dont tell you about),hey but what do I know???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Howdy there scot Im a Bmw convert... in progress
im now on my 3rd bmw and am in the process of buying a 300c
The CRD freakin hammer and with the right mods they are a real cruiser, i must admit the 300c lacks polish in some areas but when you think about it your comparing a 60k car to a 120k car....
Only problem with a crd is that if you want a new one they are difficult to get especially if you want options, as they have been so popular there is very few for sale, unless you want to wait the month or two for a brand newie!

Good luck matey

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a BMW 540I went to the SRT8 model, Bimmers are great as long as they are under warranty after that forget it, parts are ridiculous, not on the 300 parts are pretty reasonable and they seem to hold up very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts