Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered some unfinished vipers (20"...I know...I know...you guys are all hot for anything over 22") from Factory Reproductions a few months back. When I got them I found the surfaces rather rough and the back edges of the 'spokes' knife sharp...so I did some finishing work on them before sending them off to get powdercoated black (my plan from the beginning).

When you get wheels powdercoated, be ready for a less than absolutely perfect finish. There are some 'mounds' in the surface that you can't really tell are there (but I know). I was charged $25/rim which I though was reasonable.

The center caps are BT plain caps. They fit great...good retention on the back with the three screws.

I got the Kumho's mounted locally and that's when I found out about the quality/tolerance of the cast wheels. When the wheels were spinning you can literally see the uneveness of the inner rim where the spokes join (there is more mass on one side of the rim). This was worse for some of the wheels, and better for others. What resulted was two of the largest weights being put together (3oz I believe x 2) with another smaller weight. The one tech guy said that he had never seen a rim this out of balance. Two required ALOT of weights, and two had smaller weights.

I mounted the ones with the heavier weights on the rear of the car. Front had the smaller weights. Initial impressions were the ride hadn't changed that much from my 18's suspension wise. Cornering did feel tighter, but this was a given considering I bought the car and slapped winter tires on the next day. The ride is super smooth up until 110-120 km/hr. At that point I think the unbalance hits a resonant frequency and there is a little bit of vibration felt in the wheel. Afterwards it calms down (120+).

I love the looks of the wheel. So far I've encountered 50/50 opinions. I'd imagine it will be split here as well. Some people hated it...called them 'hideous'...other thought they looked 'cool...but you know you should have done <insert comment here>'. Other people said 'those are awesome...I've never seen a rim like that'.

Here's how I would rate them:

Price 9/10 (you will never find rims this cheap)
Looks 9+/10 (I like the aggressive look...other hate it though...matter of preference)
Ride/Quality 6/10 (you basically get what you pay for here...not fine tolerance products)

For the weight of the rims they are definitely a cosmetic addition to the car...not a performance feature by any means.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty picky...although similar...those giovanna's are not the same. The viper spokes go right to the lip of the rim...the 20's end up visually looking bigger without going 22's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not a fan. I like black but it needs some silver somewhere.

·
Registered
231 Posts
not a good look

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...just not a fan of the polished chrome wheels...that's why I had to do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think those wheels are fuggin ugly and makes the car look discusting. Even if you dont like chrome there is many more things you could do then put those on there. Then again people tell me they dont like my ride which i love.

·
Registered
469 Posts
that last comment was a bit harsh.

it doesn't matter what others think about your car. as long as you like thats all that matters. to each his own.

like i said before.. i like your car.. i guess everyone just expects you to be like everyone else and throw chrome 22s on it. :pat:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wouldn't really discourage any sort of response or comment, if that's how you feel that's how you feel. I like brutal honesty. :arms: I can't say that I'm easily swayed away how I feel, the rims came out exactly how I wanted them.

I actually find it interesting how different people's opinions are. I used to work for retailer and asked one of the vendor's why they chose such drab and boring colours for their products. The answer was, anything not black, red, or blue didn't sell in their experience.

oh...one more thing...vanilla is the colour

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
my honest opinion... they look very nice!
soudns like you had a hell of a time with them though, how much did you pay for the rims alone?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Well, aki, I like the overall wheel design a lot. Personally, I'm not a fan of the black pc holding up the CV ride. To me, they need some contrasting element somewhere... some combination of the black pc with some chrome, or CV pc or paint. But... I'm glad you like them as they are. Nothing better than seeing your vision come together. As MurderedOut says, if you're happy that's all that counts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe the rims were $600/700-something if you get them unfinished from Factory Reproductions.

Cheap powder coating can be found here...well that is if you live near Toronto, Ontario:

COLOURIFIC COATINGS LTD. ~ Powder Coating, Metal Coaters, Custom Coaters, Finishing, Painting, Mississauga, Toronto.

I talked to the manager there and had the rims inserted in the line when they were painting the same colour. If you want a custom colour the price is doubled though (reserving the line time, and cleaning the equipment).

If anything it was more of a project. I've had alot of cars over the years, always wanted to get a set of rims custom painted...and here we are. :biggrin:

·
Banned
775 Posts
Looks Like The Wheels Are Sticky Out Way To Much In The Rear, Take It To A Machine Shop And Shave The Back Pad About 5-8mm, It Will Push It In A Little Bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts