Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put this thread in the Car Audio/Etc. thread 'cause it involves electronics and I figure audio customizers might now a thing or two. Basically I'm just wondering if people have had good experiences or bad experiences or what with them. I'm considering putting a Sima or Vector Manf. inverter in the space under the center arm rest. I use my laptop in my car a lot (stopped of course) and could definitely use an easy way to charge my camera batteries on the road when I forget. I measured the space and all of the 150W or 325W inverters I'm looking at will fit with ample room for the plugs to come out. I'm planning on using some sub-enclosure materials for a base (wood and carpet so it looks semi-pro). Is there anything I should think about besides whether it'll over heat in that small space?

I know there are lame cigarette lighter do-hickies that'll do the same thing, but these inverters are about the same price and this install would look way better (actually most people would never see it) and actually be more convenient.

So, what say you forum?

some pics of the inverters I'm looking at:

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
ive been thinking about doing the same, but have also been a little reluctant.

if you go through with it, or anyone on here can provide any more info-i definatly be interested in doing this mod. do you think this will drain the battery life faster?

the possibilities for a power outlet in a car are endless........

·
Registered
750 Posts
300TouringNproud said:
Is there anything I should think about besides whether it'll over heat in that small space?

So, what say you forum?

some pics of the inverters I'm looking at:
How about a small almost silent 12V computer fan to get rid of the heat? - you'll have to decide where to mount it and where to vent the heat to. Fan goes on when inverter in use.

Zilla

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lennoxavesosa said:
do you think this will drain the battery life faster?
All the models of inverters I've looked at have a low-battery alarm and shut-off, so if the battery gets too low it'll stop drawing.

As for the computer fan, it's a good idea, but there's really nowhere to put it or the exhaust under the arm rest. I was also considering putting the inverter in the trunk, then running a power strip up through the floor to be placed under the front passenger seat, but that's much more of a project. At least in the trunk I wouldn't have to worry about heat too much since there's plenty of open space around it.

I'll definitely be doing this in some form this week, so I'll take some pics and post 'em up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I picked up mine at costco for 20 bucks. It powers up to 200watts, is grounded and has both the lighter adapter and direct connect to the battery terminal cables. It powered a ps2, a dvd player and my laptop on the way out to CA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Inverter

I have a 400 watt inverter in my armrest now and it gets hot as hell. It has a little fan built inside which does a pretty poor job at keeping it cool. It still gets pretty hot in the armrest even with the fan. I am going to get it installed in my trunk and place the game back there also. It also comes with the clamps to connect it directly to the battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right on, I think I'm gonna mount it in the trunk as well. I just ordered a Vector Mfg. 400W inverter, so I'm sure it'll get plenty hot. If I can find an easy way to run the cable I might put a power strip under the passenger seat for easy access to the plugs; they don't do me much good in the trunk when I'm sitting up front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts