Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Yesterday when I left work I noticed my car was making a whinning/humming noise. Changes with RPM and makes extra noise when turning. Sound like a power steering pump on its way out?

Hoping to get in at my local shop today to let them have a listen. Assuming its the pump, do I just get them to replace it with another one? What should one cost? Looks like RockAuto has one for about $130, which I believe is rebuilt. Not sure what a new one should cost, but I assume it will cost more up here in Canada then down in the US. I just want to be prepared so I can get this sorted out ASAP. I'll be making a run to the US to pick up some other parts shortly, so if I can get a better deal down there I could get one on order today.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
check the lines going to the pump. One of my lines had a slow leak, letting in air, which created whine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NR. Found that thread before posting. I'll definitely have them check the lines, etc.

If I need to get a new one, would you just go with one of these reman. Cardone ones? Seems to be all that's out there, other than buying a brand new one.

When doing my Procharger install, I noticed the 2010 SRT doesn't have the same cooling set-up as the earlier model that had the separate small cooler clipped to the rad. Not sure if they made it better or worse. Either way, I don't drive my car overly hard so I think the stock one would be ok, although from doing some reading it sounds like these pumps are a relatively common failure like you said.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, maybe some good news. Might just have been low on fluid. I didn't think to check that while at home this morning, but I just drove the car down to the shop and they topped it up after seeing it was low and it so far seems to have got rid of the noise. The guy that checked the car out had a quick look underneath and thought he might have seen some oil, but it was hard to tell as it was all wet under the car from the recent snow. I'll keep a close eye on it for now and see if I've got any oil dripping...don't recall seeing any in the garage, but then I wasn't really looking that close.

I need to remember to check my fluids more often on this car since it may only get to the shop twice a year for an oil change/tire swap.

Reactions: Northern Rider

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check the spec for the fluid in the manual and make sure you use the correct fluid. Many fluid change have taken place and some fluids don't mix well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to follow-up on my own post. Had the car in to get the summer wheels put on and I had asked them to check the power steering for leaks. Turned out the return hose was seaping in a couple of places and leaking in another. New hose on order so we'll get that cleaned up next week. Probably didn't like our crappy winter this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts