Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are already several Predator threads out there and I'm sorry to be adding another one, but I have been reading for so long that I can hardly see straight anymore. So here I am asking my question directly.

I'm getting ready to order a Predator and I'm wondering if I really need a CAI in order to run the performance CAI tune (as opposed to the regular performance tune) in my SRT8? I know that the CAI debate has raged for a long long time and that there are a lot of differing opinions (some claim that the stock (SRT8) intake is as good as it gets and others claim a benefit (Air Hammer & AFE)).

So would the performance CAI tune work with the stock intake or do I really need a CAI?

Thank you,

NightBandit

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
debateable

yes there is a lot of differing opinions out there,

I don't think anyone can dispute that a properly tuned car can exploit a CAI for more power. It was prior to the Diablo that the dispute was really intense, due to no tuning.

Just note that the factory intake is very good, and worth about 10 HP over the 5.7 intake, so they worked it over pretty good. And it is MUCH quieter.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I know that there are already several Predator threads out there and I'm sorry to be adding another one, but I have been reading for so long that I can hardly see straight anymore. So here I am asking my question directly.

I'm getting ready to order a Predator and I'm wondering if I really need a CAI in order to run the performance CAI tune (as opposed to the regular performance tune) in my SRT8? I know that the CAI debate has raged for a long long time and that there are a lot of differing opinions (some claim that the stock (SRT8) intake is as good as it gets and others claim a benefit (Air Hammer & AFE)).

So would the performance CAI tune work with the stock intake or do I really need a CAI?

Thank you,

NightBandit
Before the predator I tried the Mopar 6.1L CAI and the Airaid. I lost mpg with both over stock and didn't feel any power gains on the butt dyno. I put the car back to stock and got better mpg.

Then the predator came out. I used the predator on my stock car with the normal 91 tune (not the CAI tune). I asked the same question if it made a difference running the CAI tune with a stock intake. Mike from Diablo answered on LX forums that the difference in the tunes is that adding an aftermarket CAI tends to lean out the afr in our cars and the CAI tune adjusts further for that. I definitely agree the cai does change the way the factory pcm adusts the tuning.

After installing the diablo on my stock car my mpgs went up slightly. I added a K&N cai and my mpgs dropped again same as before the tuning (using the perf 91 cai program). I went and got my car dyno tuned with just the K&N CAI, a 180 tstat and the diablo. I picked up 40 rwhp and my MPGs improved over stock even. The dyno tuner commented that my car was running very lean and the diablo cai tune didn't adjust nearly good enough. Also because I am in CA with a different blend of gas. He added 13% fuel across all three ranges.

If you want to make the most of your car, get it dialed in on the dyno after you do a cai and exhaust. BTW...I made 391 rwhp and 396 rwtq with just K&N cai and the tstat dialed in. My friend on the same day, same dyno, minutes before with the mopar cai, magnaflow cat back and tstat made 401 rwhp and 404 rwtq. His car took even more fuel and the dyno tuner even commented that the catback was helping and good for the extra 10 hp.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I just put my Magnaflow exhaust on (after CMR tune) and the mpg's went up.
If your going to do it, do right!
CAI, catback and Predator (not in that order)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I put in the Predator then the CAI, catback and high flow cats. I think adding the Predator should be your first mod to be able to take advantage of your next mods. Next for me will be CMR dyno tune, Just after my first test and tune track day then I'll go back and make more runs after the CMR tune.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The predator was by far my favorite mod, and I would do it first if I were to start over. Your last mod should be having the predator dialed in on the dyno. It cost me $125 to have a shop dial it in to my car. Now that I've changed my exhaust, changed my cai and done some other small tweaks I need to have it dialed in again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The predator was by far my favorite mod, and I would do it first if I were to start over. Your last mod should be having the predator dialed in on the dyno. It cost me $125 to have a shop dial it in to my car. Now that I've changed my exhaust, changed my cai and done some other small tweaks I need to have it dialed in again.
Makes sense... so I am assuming that I should just go with basically the predator and cai for my first two mods eh...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
the cai is only for the sound,no hp
This is absolutely untrue if you have either the AFE-2 or the Airhammer and a properly dialed in Predator tune. You can definitely make more power with one of those intakes. All others will probably show no gain or a net loss in power, even with the Predator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts