Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking out loud a bit here.
I have a 2006 wagon and the other day I pressed the north key and then the music symbol. While I was looking around in this area I noticed that the software is dated 2005. Is there any way of getting the software upgraded? and if it is possible, is there any benifit?
There is lots of questions about the information given on the dash when these keys are used but I guess I should start one question at a time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi mate, I have read in other areas of the Forum like your question a while ago and their answer is no, still alot of good info though that we have already

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
technically no there is no way to update it.. in theory

a dealer can only do what Chrysler lets them do, and the Star Scan will not allow a flash update on any component, with a flash that was not specifically designed for said component..

example a 2006 Cluster has flashes A,B,C and a 2007 Cluster has flashes D,E,F

you can't (in theory) put D,E,F on the 2006 cluster because the star scan says that the part numbers do not match..

however

if you are a tweaker like me and own your own star scan, you can edit the part number files and make D,E,F work on a 2006 cluster...

or 2005 cluster..

I've done it, and everything works, and you get all the added features, I recently put a 2008 build flash designed for a 2007 model car on a 2005 built 2006 model.

now the 2004 built cars present a different issue because in mid 2005 Chrysler changed the hardware on the CCN (cluster) so you can not put a 2006 flash on a 2004 car because then the cluster (though it will take the flash) can't find the correct settings for the temp/fuel/transmission settings.. so they all just read 0 degrees Celsius

but seeing as you have a 2006 yes you can flash a 2008 flash to it and pick up the instant MPG, Large Volt Meter reading, Large Trans Temp, Large Oil Temp, Large Oil pressure and some other tidbits..

but you need to own your own Star Scan or Star Mobile, or know someone that does, and edit the config files to force the update... Dealer won't do it..

and no you can not get the 0-60 timer, because there is no flash file with that timer config available for the Star Scan, the flash that contains the timer comes from the factory only..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I only put this post up 45 minutes ago and information has come back faster than I can read.
Thank you for the home work so far.
Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Hey Mr. i, I am waiting on Chrysler to bring in a new instrument cluster for my 1/06 build SRT8. What is your opinion on the functionality of the new cluster?

Do you reckon I will get the 0-60, instant economy, etc?

I reckon they will pull an older version from their parts stock and it will be much the same as what I had, but you never know.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Hey Mr. i, I am waiting on Chrysler to bring in a new instrument cluster for my 1/06 build SRT8. What is your opinion on the functionality of the new cluster?

Do you reckon I will get the 0-60, instant economy, etc?

I reckon they will pull an older version from their parts stock and it will be much the same as what I had, but you never know.

having had my cluster replaced due to hardware failure (electrical bug in my car 2 years ago caused me to have all the computer modules replaced)

I can tell you that you will get a cluster with the part number specification for your build and nothing more, it will have the lastest flash file for your VIN and nothing more..

if you want the other features you have to do what I posted above ^^

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Mr. i, yeah that's what I thought. Now I have to wait the < 90 days for the cluster to come from the plant, which is bloody unsatisfactory given they have totally screwed up the existing one when they corrupted it during a flash update.

You should see the display I get now :no: and all the functions that no longer work.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Mr. i, yeah that's what I thought. Now I have to wait the < 90 days for the cluster to come from the plant, which is bloody unsatisfactory given they have totally screwed up the existing one when they corrupted it during a flash update.

You should see the display I get now :no: and all the functions that no longer work.

that's an easy fix, send me the cluster I can fix that bad boy and put all the "unapproved" flashes into it......

all it takes is back flashing the unit to clear the corrupted flash then updating it correctly..

unfortunalty the dealerships can not flash backwards they don't know how to modify the config file to allow a backward flash. and I'm sure chrysler won't let them anyway

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
that's an easy fix, send me the cluster I can fix that bad boy and put all the "unapproved" flashes into it......

all it takes is back flashing the unit to clear the corrupted flash then updating it correctly..

unfortunalty the dealerships can not flash backwards they don't know how to modify the config file to allow a backward flash. and I'm sure chrysler won't let them anyway
Thanks for the offer but that will never happen as they will hold the "faulty" cluster because it is a warranty replacement.

You are right on the money though, they reckon you cannot go back on flash upgrades and they used a computer OS upgrade as an example. Shows their limited knowledge and not looking outside the box.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
well if you send the cluster to me and I fix it, then you go back and say, look I got it handled at another "dealership" and tell them to cancel the cluster on order and it's all good.

only drawback, no car while I work on it..

or if you know someone local with a star mobile, I can alter the files and they can load it for you. not a big deal.. can be done thru email

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
well if you send the cluster to me and I fix it, then you go back and say, look I got it handled at another "dealership" and tell them to cancel the cluster on order and it's all good.

only drawback, no car while I work on it..

or if you know someone local with a star mobile, I can alter the files and they can load it for you. not a big deal.. can be done thru email
Mr. i, you might not have picked it up but the car is in Australia.

I do appreciate the offer though.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
Mr. i, you might not have picked it up but the car is in Australia.

I do appreciate the offer though.

I knew that.. UPS is worldwide bro... and I have all the international flash files on my star scan :wink:

I loaded my car will all Japanese flashes awhile back to assist pac-audio in tracking down a bug in one of their devices they sell in Japan..

no worries.. as I said, if you have someone local with a start scan (RDP maybe) I can send him the modified files..

Marc-

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Lo & behold, the instrument cluster arrived yesterday, a little over a week from order, and it came from New York. SRT 61 is at the dealers right now to get it fitted.

I had dramas on Monday. I couldn't start the car and it seems the new battery they fitted in March is crappy. So another new battery being fitted today. I'll be checking they hook up the breather this time so I don't have to go through the acid spill & corrosion issues again. That was fixed by Mr Gloss 3 weeks ago.

Apologies folks, I realise this "flashing" discussion is disturbing some members and is a little off topic.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Lo & behold, the instrument cluster arrived yesterday, a little over a week from order, and it came from New York. SRT 61 is at the dealers right now to get it fitted.

I had dramas on Monday. I couldn't start the car and it seems the new battery they fitted in March is crappy. So another new battery being fitted today. I'll be checking they hook up the breather this time so I don't have to go through the acid spill & corrosion issues again. That was fixed by Mr Gloss 3 weeks ago.

Apologies folks, I realise this "flashing" discussion is disturbing some members and is a little off topic.
It's ok John, you can flash as much as you like, just no photos please.:scared:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brett, check out this sticky thread from the General section:

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/ge...easter-egg-instructions-screens-meanings.html

It should keep you occupied for an hour of so :laughing:
The link above certainly opens up a whole world of learning. Some of the features shown are not on my 2006 model and some that are there, still dont make a lot of sence (yet). However it sounds like, for some of the more adventurous there is the flash option. I dont think I would be changing things while the car is still under warranty but the flash upgrade could be an option down the track if there is ever a need to pull out the dash and there is someone local that can do the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts