Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone... I am a bit upset, as some of you might know, I was without a car for about 3 weeks, so that is 3 weeks I did not worry for anything related to the car... well, I've spent about 4 hours turning the house upside down and I can not find my second set of keys :(

I remember a while back some of you recommended to take it to the dealer and have that FOB removed from the car's computer so that they can not easily steal the car if it has fallen under the wrong hands...

Well, my question is this, has any of you actually purchased a replacement key with fob? if so how much is it? Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
524 Posts
Tha187um said:
Good afternoon everyone... I am a bit upset, as some of you might know, I was without a car for about 3 weeks, so that is 3 weeks I did not worry for anything related to the car... well, I've spent about 4 hours turning the house upside down and I can not find my second set of keys :(

I remember a while back some of you recommended to take it to the dealer and have that FOB removed from the car's computer so that they can not easily steal the car if it has fallen under the wrong hands...

Well, my question is this, has any of you actually purchased a replacement key with fob? if so how much is it? Thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7960971634&category=33723
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300C_AWD said:
Do you need 2 working keys to program the car for a 3rd key?
Yes, but you can also take it to the dealer and they will program the key for you if you only have one.

Aspen, James... wow... you truly can buy ANYTHING on e-bay now-adays can't you... thanks a million for the posts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Tha187um said:
Good afternoon everyone... I am a bit upset, as some of you might know, I was without a car for about 3 weeks, so that is 3 weeks I did not worry for anything related to the car... well, I've spent about 4 hours turning the house upside down and I can not find my second set of keys :(

I remember a while back some of you recommended to take it to the dealer and have that FOB removed from the car's computer so that they can not easily steal the car if it has fallen under the wrong hands...

Well, my question is this, has any of you actually purchased a replacement key with fob? if so how much is it? Thanks!
$148 for the full-up version (key fob) programmed.
$58 for key only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Redman said:
$148 for the full-up version (key fob) programmed.
$58 for key only.
Redman, have you got a part number for that $58 key? My dealer says the only available key is the full featured version; however, the poor guy also said there was no locking gas cap keyed same as ignition.

Other than not having the wireless functions (lock, open trunk, etc.), are there other limitations to the $58 key? Is it the valet key that my dealer maintains does not exist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
frank29 said:
Redman, have you got a part number for that $58 key? My dealer says the only available key is the full featured version; however, the poor guy also said there was no locking gas cap keyed same as ignition.

Other than not having the wireless functions (lock, open trunk, etc.), are there other limitations to the $58 key? Is it the valet key that my dealer maintains does not exist?
The $58 key is just gonna be my spare (wife lost her full-up fob version).
Heritage Chrysler in Alex, Va sold me the key - 703-329-1300 (ask for parts); sorry dont have the part# handy.
The color is light grey; has no functionality other than actually being able to open door and start car (satisfy the computer's security code; therefore has to be programmed)
That is all I got...., good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
JustForFun said:
How much does a dealer charge for "just the programming" of a key that I purchased on Ebay?
If you have the original keys, you can easily program additional keys yourself. See page 14 of the owners' manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Redman said:
The $58 key is just gonna be my spare (wife lost her full-up fob version).
Just a friendly heads-up (probably not needed; but just to be safe): the alarm will go off when you unlock the door with that key....when the alarm is armed and you are outside the vehicle, the only way to disable it is to use the key fob.....one way to leave the alarm system off is to manually lock all doors except driver's, than manually lock the door with key after shutting door. If you use the power lock switch to lock doors upon exiting, the system arms itself.

I learned this the hard way. I used the key to unlock the door (just to make sure it worked) and the alarm went off (embarrassed the heck out of my kids).

Another time I left somebody in the car....when I came back my hands were full, the person tried to unlock the doors with the switch...well, it doesn't work when the alarm is armed. Next, I pointed at the actual knob...you guessed it, as soon as the knob was lifted the alarm went off.

The only way to disable the alarm from outside of vehicle is with a full function key fob. On edit: I should say using the wireless transmitter on that key fob. See page 24 & 25 of owner's manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
FYI, I would stay away from "aftermarket" keys, they are not as trustworthy as Mopars. Your average dealer will charge you a half hours labor, depending on labor rate, thats about $35.00 to $40.00.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top