Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just recently bought new bridgestone firehawks (20's) with Bonetti rims for my '06 300C (40k miles.....I know only a weekend driver!). The guy installing them did road-force balancing but forgot to put the hub-ring on and it shook like crazy. Took it back, placed the hub rings, and the shaking dropped significantly but it still shook slightly on the highway.
So this morning I took it into a firestone store and had the road-force balancing done once again and they found that all 4 tires were off. I figured this would be the end of my problems but it still shakes! Only this time I notice that when I go 65 mph (accelerating) I can feel and actually see my hands shaking on the steering wheel. However, when I go up to 75 mph or even 80 mph it's a totally smooth ride! I would imagine that the shaking would get worse at 80 but it completely disappears and rides like a champ at 80 mph. Also, when I'm braking from around 70-75 down to 50-50 the steering wheels shakes harder than normal especially more if I brake harder.
Any ideas on what could be causing this? I just had them rebalanced (got the lifetime balance), the hub rings are on, and those little washers on the rotors used for the stock rims were taken off as well. The car rode perfectly normal a couple of weeks ago when I had my stock rims on so it has to be the tire/wheel combo or maybe the tire/wheel combo not in sync with the alignment maybe? I called firestone back and they said it might be an alignment but I wanted to consult with 300 owners here first because maybe someone else has been through this. Thanks very much for your help!!! :afro:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same exact problem. I bought some used KMC dimes and noticed the same vibration at 60mph. I have done a lot of research on this and found many potential causes;

1) installed hub rings (helped a little)

2) tie rods bad?

3) wheels are actually 5x114.3 instead of 5x115 (that is what I'm concerned about, there is nothing stamped on the wheels indicating the actual bolt pattern)

4) brake rotors?

Sorry I cannot help but I hope someone else here has successfully solved this problem and can chime in because there is a lot of potential money that could go into solving it.

I'm kind of regretting my decision to upgrade because my stock wheels/tires were smooth at all speeds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Bret thanks for the reply.......as a matter of fact there's something missing from your list that isn't mentioned that HAPPENED to be my problem: OUT-OF-ROUND wheels!

It's interesting you mentioned used wheels because that might also be your culprit. Mine were brand new but I paid only $180/wheel and they were this cheap brand. You get what you pay for I guess. I'm going for a set of Giovanni's which I hear are excellent quality and don't come defective.

I had my hub rings on, tie rods should be fine since it was a perfect ride with my stockers on. The wheels were also definitely 115 although some wheels were 114.3 I just said no thanks to all those.
I took my vehicle to have it Hunter road-force tested and it turns out the wheels were completely out of round. Every single one of them! To fix that they were going to charge me $150/wheel so I'd rather just buy a new set of Giovanni's and eat the loss on these wheels. No biggie money comes and goes anyways. I just wanted a smooth ride again (minus the slight harshness gained from 20" instead of 18" tires).
Get your wheels road-force balanced and they'll be able to tell you if the wheels are out of round. Good thing you bought yours used so it was probably cheaper.

I didn't respond here earlier because nobody bothered to chime in to even help me with this problem......I'm thinking this forum isn't as experienced as I thought it was. I barely opened my account and figured it out fairly quickly. Just caught your post and wanted to reply so that maybe it could help you as well! Take care bud let me know what caused your shaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I'd never think of the wheels being out of round like that!! I learn that lesson often with other things as well, you do get what you pay for. I didn't want to drop a lot into my wheels so I went used, but I've heard that KMC is a good brand so I was hoping they'd be good. I'm trying to get the original receipt from the seller, I'm worried that these are 5x114.3 bolt pattern which could definately cause my problems. I'm going to get the tires balanced tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the follow up!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
never had wheels out of round? and I've had a lot of wheels... Usually just out of balance.... even when Ice or Dirt builds up it will throw the wheels out of balance. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out after they rebalance your rims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts