Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm in the correct area, but I am getting irritated with my acceleration. Sometimes when I punch the accelerator (usually in 3rd gear and around 3K RPM's) it doesn't down shift. It just slowly picks up speed. Is there a reason for this? Or is there something wrong? Usually it happens when I really need to take advantage of that Hemi power like trying to pass somebody to merge.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
4u2nv said:
I hope I'm in the correct area, but I am getting irritated with my acceleration. Sometimes when I punch the accelerator (usually in 3rd gear and around 3K RPM's) it doesn't down shift. It just slowly picks up speed. Is there a reason for this? Or is there something wrong? Usually it happens when I really need to take advantage of that Hemi power like trying to pass somebody to merge.
If you need the 'oomph' to pass or merge, I would just autostick to what I think the right gear would be and go. I agree the trannys in these cars seem to need to 'think about' shifting longer than they should.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
So... you've already downshifted to 3rd gear when you "punch" it? Otherwise... how to you know the gear you're in? I know they will downshift, even in an auto-stick lower gear, but I've had no issue with shifting or acceleration just going along in "D" when I need to pass, etc.

IF the lag is partially due to being in auto-stick mode already, then the advice to downshift yourself seems to be the least "bump" in the right direction! :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies:

jjs - Sometimes I just dont have the time to use the autoshift. The only time I use it is to slow down in an emergency situation. The transmition is USUALLY faster to down shift rather then using the auto stick. Too bad the auto stick isn't immidiate.

Goofy TimL - Its only when I punch it that I have the lag. I was actually guessing that I was in 3rd gear, but it could actually be in any gear. Even if I am cruising at 65 with the RPM's fairly low, sometimes the transmision has to think before it down shifts.

Meister - I actually want to get the chip, but the dealer told me that I would void the waranty if I did. So I have been hesitant to do to much. Even though I really, REALLY want to kick it up a few notches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's why you just take the Chip out before you take it to the dealer for any reason. :)

The chip is very easy to put in and remove. It only takes a couple of minutes.

4u2nv said:

Meister - I actually want to get the chip, but the dealer told me that I would void the waranty if I did. So I have been hesitant to do to much. Even though I really, REALLY want to kick it up a few notches.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But doesn't the car's computer know when you have made a mod, whether you take it out or not? Or is it virtually indetectable? That would be very nice. :)

methemac said:
That's why you just take the Chip out before you take it to the dealer for any reason. :)

The chip is very easy to put in and remove. It only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
downshifting for passing

4u2nv said:

jjs - Sometimes I just dont have the time to use the autoshift. The only time I use it is to slow down in an emergency situation. The transmition is USUALLY faster to down shift rather then using the auto stick. Too bad the auto stick isn't immidiate.

Goofy TimL - Its only when I punch it that I have the lag. I was actually guessing that I was in 3rd gear, but it could actually be in any gear. Even if I am cruising at 65 with the RPM's fairly low, sometimes the transmision has to think before it down shifts.

I have a 05 300C and have plenty of power for passing even keeping it in drive. Even in stock condition without any mods, chips, etc, you should have more than enough power for passing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont get me wrong. I defenetly have enough power to pass up lazy cars. Love that F'n Hemi Power!!! Its just that every once in a while (not often, but even more then once sucks) it seems it takes a min. to down shift. Thats all.

Irwin said:
I have a 05 300C and have plenty of power for passing even keeping it in drive. Even in stock condition without any mods, chips, etc, you should have more than enough power for passing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
passing

4u2nv said:
Dont get me wrong. I defenetly have enough power to pass up lazy cars. Love that F'n Hemi Power!!! Its just that every once in a while (not often, but even more then once sucks) it seems it takes a min. to down shift. Thats all.
You might have a transmission problem. My car is stock and no mater what speed I am in, the moment I floor the accelerator, my car goes every time. I know what fast is too as I owned a GTO, Corvette, Mustangs, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, well rather than 'flooring' it, step on it a little lighter. You will notice it also. It is not a transmission problem, it's just the way the transmission is designed to work.

You will notice that if you are in 'D', and your car shifts from 2nd to 3rd, once it's in third gear and you lightly hit the gas, you will notice that your RPMS will decrease rather than increase even though you are hitting on the gas. This happens for about 1-3 seconds. You actually have to punch it hard to avoid this.

Irwin said:
You might have a transmission problem. My car is stock and no mater what speed I am in, the moment I floor the accelerator, my car goes every time. I know what fast is too as I owned a GTO, Corvette, Mustangs, etc.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
4u2nv said:
But doesn't the car's computer know when you have made a mod, whether you take it out or not? Or is it virtually indetectable? That would be very nice. :)
The chip's "fingerprints" aren't identifiable as such is what I've been told by a starscan-knowledgeable tech, 4u2nv. If you have any concerns, simply pull the chip, as mathemic stated. In the very remote chance you're asked about any unknown fingerprints in the computer's history somewhere you "have no clue", which is an accurate statement - any number of things can end up in the history without an owner's knowledge.

I never pull my chip or GSM mod when taking my Hemi to the dealer for service, but would if do so if there were ever a major engine or tranny issue which would be a warranty item. I'd also pull fuse 11 for 30 seconds or so to clear the slate as much as possible absent use of a starscan.

We have dozens of LX Hemi guys running jetchips on these forums with no problems with their dealers. My guess is that most do as I do, and simply leave the chip in for all routine visits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts