Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please, Any more ideas?? - Problems starting the car...

http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=1854&page=1&pp=10

Visit my other thread if you have not read it, I started out as a happy camper because I got the car on Sat 11-20-04 and ended frustrated and :mad: because it spent all day in the shop and is a headache to deal with this...

To Brief you in, when the car is off for more than an hour, it has trouble starting up, you hear it trying to crank but it doesn't, the RPM stay very low, I tried accelerator calibration as recommended by 57, but it didn't seem to do anything, no signals to indicate it did. Well, I took it to the dealer...

Whe I got it back from the dealer today, two mechanics said they did not experience the problem. That maybe it was the gas I put, I said bs, because it happened when it still had the original gas it came with from the dealer...
Since they calibrated the pass air bag, they said it might have taken care of the problem because they had it off for about 4 hours and it started up fine... I said ok, I'll give it a try...

Well, right now I went to go try it, and again it would not start, I tried it once and it didn't do it, so I decided to run back inside and grab my didital cam to record a video clip with sound, I tried it again and it failed twice, the 4th time I did what I did last night, I tapped the accelerator at the same time of turning the key and it started fine, seems like the fuel line is getting dry, does that make sense??? any suggestions? Please download the video from the following link, I really apologize for the huge file size (about 7.5 MB) and the poor quality. At least you can hear the engine and you can see the RPM needle.. please provide any feedback before I take it back to the dealer, I really did not feel comfty witht mechanics there, I had to tell them about calibrating air bag sensor because they said they never heard of that problem and that they have to call Chrysler and get help from them...

well, below is the video. thanks for any input! :(

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Tha187um/car.mpg

Update for the link, you have to right click and Save As...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tha187um said:
http://www.300cforums.com/showthread.php?t=1854&page=1&pp=10

Visit my other thread if you have not read it, I started out as a happy camper because I got the car on Sat 11-20-04 and ended frustrated and :mad: because it spent all day in the shop and is a headache to deal with this...

To Brief you in, when the car is off for more than an hour, it has trouble starting up, you hear it trying to crank but it doesn't, the RPM stay very low, I tried accelerator calibration as recommended by 57, but it didn't seem to do anything, no signals to indicate it did. Well, I took it to the dealer...

Whe I got it back from the dealer today, two mechanics said they did not experience the problem. That maybe it was the gas I put, I said bs, because it happened when it still had the original gas it came with from the dealer...
Since they calibrated the pass air bag, they said it might have taken care of the problem because they had it off for about 4 hours and it started up fine... I said ok, I'll give it a try...

Well, right now I went to go try it, and again it would not start, I tried it once and it didn't do it, so I decided to run back inside and grab my didital cam to record a video clip with sound, I tried it again and it failed twice, the 4th time I did what I did last night, I tapped the accelerator at the same time of turning the key and it started fine, seems like the fuel line is getting dry, does that make sense??? any suggestions? Please download the video from the following link, I really apologize for the huge file size (about 7.5 MB) and the poor quality. At least you can hear the engine and you can see the RPM needle.. please provide any feedback before I take it back to the dealer, I really did not feel comfty witht mechanics there, I had to tell them about calibrating air bag sensor because they said they never heard of that problem and that they have to call Chrysler and get help from them...

well, below is the video. thanks for any input! :(

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Tha187um/car.mpg

Update for the link, you have to right click and Save As...
Do you think it might the factory alarm system? Is there anyway you can deactive it? It could be a number of things. A faulty MAS (not too sure if the 300 has it) or the IAC. After start-up does it have a low unstable idle? Does it drive OK. Low / High idle when the car is d mode and not moving (red lights etc.)?

Rmedina

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While driving is fine, the idle seems to be fine, I will note the exact #s next time. I think I saw a "disable alarm" somewhere on here, maybe on the how to... Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, the service guy took a look at the video I posted and he called me immediately and told me to take it back, that is the fuel pump. I might leave it over the weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tha187um said:
Ok, the service guy took a look at the video I posted and he called me immediately and told me to take it back, that is the fuel pump. I might leave it over the weekend.
You would have thought the dealer would have checked the fuel pressure/pump the first time you bought it in.. Thats the dealer for you.. Good luck.

Rmedina

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:confused: :confused: :confused:
The car sat at the dealer Wednesday and Thursday they go and start it today and it turns on fine so again they tell me to pick it up that nothing is wrong with it...

If nothing is wrong with it, how can anyone explain what was captured on video? I mean, the camera doesn't lie... now he tells me that I must be doing something wrong... Im like crap, I didn't know there was such a thing as turning on a car the wrong way, I thought you put the key in and turn it...

so he tells me, if you barely touch the gas when you are trying to turn it on, it will not work... so Im like, sorry, BUT THAT IS THE ONLY way I can turn it on when the problem occurs... If anyone can please take a look at the video clip... the first two times is without touching anything, the third time is when I finally slightly pressed the gas...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tha187um...

Ok, how many miles were on the car when you bought it and how many miles were on it since you first starting noticing the problem?

Since you've had it less than 2 weeks I'm assuming you have to have about 50 max on the odometer.

We had a customer come in for a similar situation. Had about 30 miles and would always cut out or not start, but would start up after some sitting and waiting. We checked the PCM to find that his original selling dealership did not prep the PCM properly. Apparently some software was missing during pre-delivery prep.

To be quite honest, when the 300s come in for prep, there's never a reason why our guys feel these cars would have problems right off the assembly line. They're quality cars and our techs can see that. A problem right off the showroom floor sounds like a software issue in the PCM. Go back to your dealer and ask him to review the Prep and Pre Delivery Setup and go from there. Be sure to ask him to review any TSB's that may compare to common dealership concerns. If I have a chance Monday I'll see if a tech can find a TSB posted for this yet.

Good luck and keep us posted. :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks JC, the car only had 16 miles on it, well, today made exactly a week, I have 336 on it already :) it happened the same day I got it, as soon I as got home I had it off for about 2 - 3 hours and it wouldn't start...

I have a very stupid question, I mean, I never had a problem with this on any other vehicle, then again, this is not just any other vehicle, so you never know and shame on me if this is the problem... how long are you suppose to hold the key on the starting position? just a tap or until the car turns on? I ask this because the service manager asked me "When this occurs, have you tried holding the key for a second or two?" I honestly have not tried it. I picked the car up on Friday and it did it once, the second try it turned on fine so I couldn't try the holding the key theory... I tried it tonight, the temp is cool and is raining... on the first try I held the key maybe a full second or a little less, the car turned on, rpm went to 2K, dropped down to 400, then went back up to 900. I turned it off and turned it back on and it goes to 2K, then levels at 900... the drop to 400RPMS is only on the first turning on after a while the car has been off.. does that make any sense? is it normal? Maybe during the day im used to tapping the key just a bit since the rpms never drop below 900. I just looked at the video again and notice the first two times the rpms don't even reach 400, was I letting go of the key just way too soon to get it going? I hope so, honestly, at this point I rather feel stupid than feel that I have a broken car that no one seems to see the problem!
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tha187um said:
Thanks JC, the car only had 16 miles on it, well, today made exactly a week, I have 336 on it already :) it happened the same day I got it, as soon I as got home I had it off for about 2 - 3 hours and it wouldn't start...

I have a very stupid question, I mean, I never had a problem with this on any other vehicle, then again, this is not just any other vehicle, so you never know and shame on me if this is the problem... how long are you suppose to hold the key on the starting position? just a tap or until the car turns on? I ask this because the service manager asked me "When this occurs, have you tried holding the key for a second or two?" I honestly have not tried it. I picked the car up on Friday and it did it once, the second try it turned on fine so I couldn't try the holding the key theory... I tried it tonight, the temp is cool and is raining... on the first try I held the key maybe a full second or a little less, the car turned on, rpm went to 2K, dropped down to 400, then went back up to 900. I turned it off and turned it back on and it goes to 2K, then levels at 900... the drop to 400RPMS is only on the first turning on after a while the car has been off.. does that make any sense? is it normal? Maybe during the day im used to tapping the key just a bit since the rpms never drop below 900. I just looked at the video again and notice the first two times the rpms don't even reach 400, was I letting go of the key just way too soon to get it going? I hope so, honestly, at this point I rather feel stupid than feel that I have a broken car that no one seems to see the problem!
Thanks for your help!
i start my C just like any other car ive had in the past. release the key as soon as it starts. no probs (build date 4/5).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, I think the problem was with the user... maybe I was too affraid to hold the key too long :) well, this is a relief for me... I feel like a J.A. but as I said earlier, I rather feel like that then to think something is wrong with precious! I'll post back if it happens again... I don't think it will... Im getting used to it little by little... last night I came out at 1am to try it and I held the key until it fully turned on and it was fine... so I guess the service guy was right to think I was a nut case! :) I will give it a couple of nights before I can say for sure that's what it was...

·
Registered
272 Posts
dont feel like that. thats what this forum is about. talk about our problems, real or imagined does not matter. it could very well trigger a response from another member!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks JJ... she is running like a tiger... I love this forum... actually, is there a donation box for this forum? I know some of them do...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts