Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone with 22.9 rims having trouble using 265/35/22? Indycoder was mentioning that his Kumho's are rubbing against the screw. Anyone using pirelli with same problem, my rim is arriving tomorrow. I might have to return the tire and get a lower profile like a 30 series

·
Registered
170 Posts
The guys up at O'Brien showed me a car with PZero's and he had huge gouges on both front tires. My HanKook's have small dimples. The New Car Sales Manger at O’Brien is working on a solution and he’ll be getting back to me this week.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Just from the look in the manual, it doesn't appear the screw could be put in upside down as some have suggested. Is there any chance that speeding through a large dip could cause enough downforce to totally shred a tire? That's a scary proposition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you all suggest going with 22x10 instead. I ordered the sequence wheels. I just didn't want to put 5 cm spacers thats why I ordered the 22.9. I will talk to my wheel dealer and see what he can do. Might have him ship back the wheels for the 22x10. Has anyone had any problems with 22x10?

·
Registered
76 Posts
They had a problem wit h mine today with a 22x 9.5 it rubbed on the driver side, I ll find out tomorrow what the fix will be.

·
Registered
170 Posts
JonW said:
Just from the look in the manual, it doesn't appear the screw could be put in upside down as some have suggested. Is there any chance that speeding through a large dip could cause enough downforce to totally shred a tire? That's a scary proposition.
The dealership pulled that bolt on a customers car and it can't be put back in upside down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone with a 22X9.5rim with 265/35/22 will not have a problem, its the smaller 22X9 w/265/35/22 that are going to have a problem. Had a customer come in yesterday with a 300c and he had a 22x9 with 265/35/22 pirelli, he is going to run into the same problem, we intend to shave the bottom 2 threads off of that bolt. IT CANNOT BE TURNED AROUND.

The reason is, just like I said before and my technician agreed with me as well as my tire distributor when I spoke with them about it yesterday when I saw he had got 22X9s. The tire is not having to spread so far as if it were beading to a 22X9.5 and therefore is having more opportunity to expand with high rates of speed. For that reason, a 22x8.5 with the same 265/35/22 would have even more scrubbing problems than the 22x9 because of the tire expansion.

If you do not wish to do any modifications to make them work, if you do a 22x8.5 or 22x9 you need to run the 255/30/22 Nitto or you can run a 22x9.5 or 22x10 with the 265/35/22 pirelli or kumho

Regardless, hitting a pothole with these cars will not cause scrubbing because this bolt moves up and down with the suspension, but running a 255/30/22 will make you much more likely to damage a rim when hitting a pothole.

To answer a couple other questions on this thread as well:
We have done a 22X10 with 15mm offset and 265/35/22 and we did not scrub one bit but clearances were ***VERY*** tight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought 22x9.5 for my 300c and it rubs against ther metal piece behind the rim, they are gonna have to shave it down just a hair to get it to fit right. I dont know how somw of you guys have put 9.5s on there and not had to do any modifications or anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
needasrt4 said:
Anyone with a 22X9.5rim with 265/35/22 will not have a problem, its the smaller 22X9 w/265/35/22 that are going to have a problem. Had a customer come in yesterday with a 300c and he had a 22x9 with 265/35/22 pirelli, he is going to run into the same problem, we intend to shave the bottom 2 threads off of that bolt. IT CANNOT BE TURNED AROUND.

The reason is, just like I said before and my technician agreed with me as well as my tire distributor when I spoke with them about it yesterday when I saw he had got 22X9s. The tire is not having to spread so far as if it were beading to a 22X9.5 and therefore is having more opportunity to expand with high rates of speed. For that reason, a 22x8.5 with the same 265/35/22 would have even more scrubbing problems than the 22x9 because of the tire expansion.

If you do not wish to do any modifications to make them work, if you do a 22x8.5 or 22x9 you need to run the 255/30/22 Nitto or you can run a 22x9.5 or 22x10 with the 265/35/22 pirelli or kumho

Regardless, hitting a pothole with these cars will not cause scrubbing because this bolt moves up and down with the suspension, but running a 255/30/22 will make you much more likely to damage a rim when hitting a pothole.

To answer a couple other questions on this thread as well:
We have done a 22X10 with 15mm offset and 265/35/22 and we did not scrub one bit but clearances were ***VERY*** tight.
Thanks. Will try your idea of shaving the screw a bit. I just talked to a suspension store. Will have them look at it and see what they can do. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fatchance: wrong offset, you can use a 3mm spacer to make it clear

PS. If it is legible, it is normally the wife (me) typing. I've got the one up on Shaun when it comes to wheel lug patterns, offset, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
FAME2002 said:
I bought 22x9.5 for my 300c and it rubs against ther metal piece behind the rim, they are gonna have to shave it down just a hair to get it to fit right. I dont know how somw of you guys have put 9.5s on there and not had to do any modifications or anything.
FAME, what is the offset?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its high, I think its like 35, but we got them to fit perfect with very minor mods.

·
Registered
143 Posts
FAME2002 said:
Its high, I think its like 35, but we got them to fit perfect with very minor mods.

What mods did you have to do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
same as you did for yours, slight grinding. They also had small spacers custom drilled out of billet so theres no shaking or anything while driving, it rides perfect, and the wheels look perfect on the car, and they are flush with the wheel well too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts