Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this on Dodge talk but didnt get much response.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

just picked up my new srt-8 magnum last week.
car is great but there is some kind of electrical problem now and the car has to go in for service with just 300 miles on the clock.
here is the problem:

a few days ago i went to start the car. i turned the key and nothing. no cranking. no noise. i took the key out and tried again. it turned over and started fine. then i look at the analog clock in the navigation screen and its going haywire. blinking on and off. so then i turn on the radio and it starts going crazy. turning on and off randomly for about 3-5 minutes.
it stopped and that was it for a few days.

then yesterday, i go to start the car. i turn the key and nothing. i try again and nothing. then it finally starts, idles for about 3 seconds and shuts off.
i start it again and it stalls after 3 seconds. i start it again and give it some gas to keep it idleing.
it stays running but then all hell breaks loose. the radio was turning on and off without me touching it. the headlights were turning on and off without me touching it. the check engine light was on and the esp/bas light was on.

i was able to drive it home and let it sit. then this morning i drove it and it started with no warning lights. the radio was turning on and off by itself though.

i checked all the obvious, fuses, ground wires and found nothing.
i even tried the second key thinking the first was not programmed correctly but no change.

off to the dealer on tuesday. im sure the problem will go away for the week that it stays at the dealer and they wont be able to "replicate" the problem.

went to dealer today and they said there are no codes stored and i could leave the car with them indefinitely or wai for it to happen again.
i dont know what to do.

Then i heard today that are two recalls in the works and one is for a faulty ignition? called dodge they had no clue what i was talking about.

anyone have any ideas???????

-pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
86style said:
i posted this on Dodge talk but didnt get much response.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

just picked up my new srt-8 magnum last week.
car is great but there is some kind of electrical problem now and the car has to go in for service with just 300 miles on the clock.
here is the problem:

a few days ago i went to start the car. i turned the key and nothing. no cranking. no noise. i took the key out and tried again. it turned over and started fine. then i look at the analog clock in the navigation screen and its going haywire. blinking on and off. so then i turn on the radio and it starts going crazy. turning on and off randomly for about 3-5 minutes.
it stopped and that was it for a few days.

then yesterday, i go to start the car. i turn the key and nothing. i try again and nothing. then it finally starts, idles for about 3 seconds and shuts off.
i start it again and it stalls after 3 seconds. i start it again and give it some gas to keep it idleing.
it stays running but then all hell breaks loose. the radio was turning on and off without me touching it. the headlights were turning on and off without me touching it. the check engine light was on and the esp/bas light was on.

i was able to drive it home and let it sit. then this morning i drove it and it started with no warning lights. the radio was turning on and off by itself though.

i checked all the obvious, fuses, ground wires and found nothing.
i even tried the second key thinking the first was not programmed correctly but no change.

off to the dealer on tuesday. im sure the problem will go away for the week that it stays at the dealer and they wont be able to "replicate" the problem.

went to dealer today and they said there are no codes stored and i could leave the car with them indefinitely or wai for it to happen again.
i dont know what to do.

Then i heard today that are two recalls in the works and one is for a faulty ignition? called dodge they had no clue what i was talking about.

anyone have any ideas???????

-pete
Sorry to hear that Pete. I have 700 miles on my Magnum SRT-8. I have had zero problems so-far. Let us know what you do to fix this computer issue. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I pick up ourmagsrt8 tomorrow morning.
if anything happens like the horror you describe i will post it here.

good luck and let us know what they diagnose it as.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Hannibal said:
Sorry to hear that Pete. I have 700 miles on my Magnum SRT-8. I have had zero problems so-far. Let us know what you do to fix this computer issue. Good luck!!!
Ditto...We have 5200 miles on our MSRT-8 now and it hasn't had any electrical gremlins. Yours sounds like something is definately wrong with either the PCM or the voltage control(alternator). There was also some posts a while back about a wire loom under the dash that would rub a particular wire. It could be something similar, but rubbing more than one. Either way, the dealer is the best place to send it.

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
It could be much simpler. Viper guys have experienced the same problem. One way to reset the computer, which sounds like the problem to me, is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect and then reset BOTH REMOTES before starting or unlocking. Consult your manual for that method or go over to www.viperclub.org do a search and look under the articles section, then just register and post the question under "Driven" if you don't find it, some one will help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
GTS LEE said:
One way to reset the computer, which sounds like the problem to me, is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect and then reset BOTH REMOTES before starting or unlocking.
Not a bad idea there, can't hurt to try. I would give it a shot before taking it to the dealer just to see, because that's the first thing they'll do, and the problem may disappear.
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Sounds like a computer reset issue, as GTS LEE has said. There are 9 processors in these cars. Some people have had the cars come with a loose connection on the battery (it's in the trunk). A disconnect and reset is worth a try.

One other thing - If the service department did not find any error codes after all those radio and dash LED dances - you might want to consider finding a better Chrysler service department. The StarScan that they plug in to diagnose should have come up with error codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies.
i will try the reset tommorrow.
anyone know how to reset the transmitters. the owners manual only has directions for programming a blank key that has never been programmed.

i discovered another thing too which im not sure if its related.
i can turn off the traction control with one touch of the esp button.
however, when i try to push the button for five seconds to disable both the traction and the stability. i get Nothing. no chime, no message indicating that the systems are off.

i only bring this up because it seems pretty difficult to spin the tires, even with traction turned off. they will slightly spin on dry pavement from a standstill. i assumed that with 400+ ft/lb's, the tires would really break loose with the traction disabled.

its very discouraging to spend so much $$$ and have these issues. :eek:uch:

the dealer i went to today is a five star service dealer. they did not find any codes. i made an appointment with another five star dealer for next tuesday.

this sucks.

-pete
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Pete, your car will burn through as many sets of expensive rubber as you can handle - but give that race-built SRT engine a chance to break in first. They are very tight and need a few miles on them.

BTW, the engineers have worked hard to keep the tires from spinning with the IRS suspension. Also the ESP button does not turn off the traction control completely - just widens the tolerance band.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
86style said:
when i try to push the button for five seconds to disable both the traction and the stability. i get Nothing. no chime, no message indicating that the systems are off.
Do you have to press the button for 5 seconds to get it off?

WIth only about 300 miles, I was taking it a bit easier and not really trying. Not criticizing or anything, just saying. :wink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Pete, your car will burn through as many sets of expensive rubber as you can handle - but give that race-built SRT engine a chance to break in first. They are very tight and need a few miles on them.

BTW, the engineers have worked hard to keep the tires from spinning with the IRS suspension. Also the ESP button does not turn off the traction control completely - just widens the tolerance band.
Evidently on the CHSRT-8 it does:)

From here......

http://www.mph-online.com/blogs/0026

Now, to answer your questions, we do it because we can. The only thing more fun that doing a smoky burnout is videotaping a smoky burnout and watching it over and over. And the Dodge Charger SRT8 is an excellent burnout machine with 425 tire-shredding horsepower. Other key elements are an easy to manage automatic transmission that will stay in first gear and a stability program that can be fully switched off. That's right, full off. Take that, SL65.

:banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the car has been at the dealer since wed.
i called on friday afternoon to check on it and they told me to come get it cause they cant "replicate the problem"

this is so amusing to me because i specifically waited until the check engine light came on and the gauges were going crazy, and then i drove to the dealer right when it was happening. they put the scanner on it and found 12 different codes.
so i asked them why do they have to replicate the problem cause i brought it to them with the problem happening. they were like robots..."we cant replicate the problem".

time to call dodge customer service, AGAIN, and start the lemon law proceeding.


i told them to call a dodge rep because im not taking the car back until its fixed.

this sux

somebody HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-pete
 

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
Joined
·
7,554 Posts
Pete, if you can tell us where you live - maybe another member can jump in here to get you to a service department that knows what they are doing.

It's all about electronics. Perhaps the ECM needs replacing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
842 Posts
time to call dodge customer service, AGAIN, and start the lemon law proceeding.
man good luck! ive been there and done that..
but just to let you know you got to give them 3 try's
to fix the problem..or more then 30 days in shop..
took me 4 months to get my "c" bought back..but i
think it was because i went with a srt..but just dont
flip out, be cool calm and collected..it worked for me..gl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the responses.
i live in central Nj and the car is currently at Oasis Dodge in Old Bridge, NJ.
the first time i took the car to Linden Dodge in Linden, NJ.

so this is the second attempt to fix it and it doesnt look too promising.
i have to wait until tuesday to call dodge customer service and inform them that i will not be taking the car back until it is fixed.

the car has shut off three times while driving, once while on a busy NJ highway which was a bit scary.

what if this thing stalls with my kids in the car at an intersection? :zx11pisse

not to mention i never know if the car is gonna start when i turn the key.

-pete
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top