Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was turned the wheel all the way to full lock and made a u-turn. After this the wheel became very stiff. It then went back to being normal for about a 1/2 turn in either direction, the rest of the way to full lock is very stiff, like the power steering is not working. I have less than 3k miles on the car. The car is driveable is just very annoying to make a 90 degree turn from a stop. Obviously this will be looked at when I get the oil changed but I want to know if anyone has had this problem with their 8.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Granted one time shouldn't have done this, but as a general rule, never turn your wheel to the lock. 1 cm off lock is fine, heck 1mm off lock is fine, but lock puts a lot of stress on the PS box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't had the exact symptoms you mention, but I have noticed that the power steering on my Magnum seems stiff occasionally. It's usually when I'm backing out of a spot, so I go almost to full lock then back to the other side as I go forward. It's not like there's no power steering, just noticably stiffer/less responsive. Thought it might be the fat tires on it, but I've had fat tires on other cars without this problem.

I do wait to have a little movement before I turn the wheel (don't just rotate the tires while stopped)...

I am going to mention it when I take it in for the first service.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
marlinspike said:
Granted one time shouldn't have done this, but as a general rule, never turn your wheel to the lock. 1 cm off lock is fine, heck 1mm off lock is fine, but lock puts a lot of stress on the PS box.

What he said. Rule of thumb for all cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok to update this. I took her in for the 3k oil change and told them to look at the power steering. Of course I knew that there was going to be a problem with it(im not a master mechanic but im not an idiot either). So I need a new power steering pump and they don't have any in stock. They recommended that I dont drive the car. Its gonna be like 2 to 3 weeks before they can get one in... because "every thing is on back order". CRAP right ? So now 200 miles away from where I live my car has to sit at this dealership until the part arrives. My rental, a f'in dodge stratus SXT. what a P.O.S I hate this car. it was either a PT cruiser or this pile. I have yet to call Chrysler and tell them about how Displeased I am with the outcome of this situation. The other topic is going to be how the manager of this "5 star" dealership which has 2 SRT-8's ( one being for sale and the other is the dealers car), Won't take the part I need off the car they aren't using so I can take MY car home. In fact he was quite quick to unprofessional dismiss the whole idea. I understand this but he was a **** about it. At least I am not payin for anything in this whole mess, which makes it bearable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts