Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really liking this car very much, but have 2 little problems with it.
The first is the rain sensing wipers. The display is showing that it is on, however, yesterday when driving in to work, it started to pour. The wipers did not come on automatically? I turned them on manually to delay, and they would wipe, then delay, then wipe two times simultaneously, then delay, etc. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the wiper stalk supposed to be in the first delay position at all times or is it supposed to sense the rain even with the manual stalk off?
The other is if the car sits in the sun all day(gets hot inside), the dial for the volume on the stereo won't work until the inside temp cools down(the volume control on the wheel works fine though).
Any ideas on what's up here?
Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I just spoke with my dad who has a Buick Park Avenue with the rain sensing wipers. His does the exact same thing. Seems to be working as it should. The volume dial dealie thing I'll just wrap some masking tape or something around the metal nub to make it a tighter fit. Should work fine then.
Jeez, I feel like a blonde. :rolleyes: :D No offense to any blondes on this site.
Yes, what hair I have left is blonde. :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The rain sensing wipers in the Lincoln LS are similar. It has a setting for Auto, and seems to need a little push to get started sometimes. So, twist knob to intermitent and then back to auto and it usually works fine from there. It does take a while for the sensor to acknowledge light mist.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the first position on the wipers is off.
The second position what you are referring to as delay is auto.
I forgot about them being in that position the other day when I put the car through a full service wash. They came on and stayed on all the way through the tunnel, lucky for me the rotating brushes didn't rip them off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fast4Door said:
I think the first position on the wipers is off.
The second position what you are referring to as delay is auto.
I forgot about them being in that position the other day when I put the car through a full service wash. They came on and stayed on all the way through the tunnel, lucky for me the rotating brushes didn't rip them off.
:eek: I did read something about making sure they were off before going through any automated carwash. That's good that yours didn't get damaged.
After a local car washs' tire guide put a huge gash in a rim on a pickup truck I used to have, I've never used them again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
steves300c said:
I'm really liking this car very much, but have 2 little problems with it.
The first is the rain sensing wipers. The display is showing that it is on, however, yesterday when driving in to work, it started to pour. The wipers did not come on automatically? I turned them on manually to delay, and they would wipe, then delay, then wipe two times simultaneously, then delay, etc. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the wiper stalk supposed to be in the first delay position at all times or is it supposed to sense the rain even with the manual stalk off?
Any ideas on what's up here?
Thanks!
Steve
First, the sensing wipers must be turned on by going to the EVIC, settings, selecting "on" to enable them.

Next, after the sensing wipers are enabled, the wiper switch (on the multi control) must be enabled in one of the 6 "on" positions other than low or high (the solid line between "off" and "Low" or "High". This provides less to more sensitive from clicks 1 to 6. Position 1 is good for starters.

As you have found out, you must turn off the sensing wipers at the multi switch before going through an auto car wash. If it has brushes, the wipers could be damaged; if only brushless, no damage is likely to occur and, in fact, may help clean your windshield if a lot of junk is on it and also clean your wiper blades.

If the car also has auto on headlamps set to Auto (A), operation of the wipers after about 10 sec. will cause the headlamps to come on. They will go off after a bit when there is no sensing of rain, even though the wiper switch reamains selected "on" in 1 - 6. In any case, all will be cancelled when the ignition key is removed.

You can leave the wiper switch set to "on"; if no rain, nothing will happen but if it rains, the wipers will begin to function.

If you disable the sensing selection in the EVIC, the wiper switch will function with timed intervals as usual in most cars.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
My X5 does the same thing however my friend's GX470 works better, leave it on sense and it comes on without touching anything when it rains.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Seems that we've had nothing but rain the last 2 weeks and mine works fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts