Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Proud owner admits to a minor peeve

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  arnoldw 
#1 ·
OK, folks. Everyone here loves this car and I'm no exception. But it's getting tough to overlook the fact that DC stuck us with HUBCAPS.

Yes, for those of you who are not already aware of this fact, we are rolling aluminum wheels with chrome plastic covers. As if sticking us with 18s when the show car rolls 20s wasn't bad enough.

I really wish we could get the wheels off the show car. Who knows, maybe that's what they'll offer on the SRT-8 300C.

Meanwhile, I'll just wait for more alternatives to come onto the market.

Michael

#2 ·
Those 20" rims on the Concept look like a Chrome Clad plastic cover on aluminum rims also. Early adopters will always be peeved at any new options to come down the road. I want a Magnum RT Hemi but peeved that no HID option is available. Also peeved that no sport suspension and the speed is limited to 126MPH. To get those features I and others will just have to wait.

I also read that Blinger mirrors is coming. Also, future 2005 300 owners will get Tire Pressure Moniters as standard equipment.

#3 ·
Any word on getting the Tire Pressure Monitors retrofitted?

#4 ·
Is that your only gripe?

Hell, there are very FEW cars that comes from the factory that are decent enough to keep.

Who cares if they're plastic? Would you rather have them skimp on something else? Like tranny, suspension, or engine that's much harder to replace?

Hell, this car NEEDS 20 inchers, so quit your bitchin' and order some dubs right now for the poor car. Even w/18s, those big fenders swallow them up like brine in a whale. :)

#5 ·
Tire Pressure Monitors

I hade read, though I don't know if it is true that any car ordered from DCX after May 25th would come with the monitors as standard, and that for $$$ your dealer could install them. I am not sold on the tech the gov't has made the makers use, though...I'll keep the little guage in my glove box.

#6 · (Edited)
magnesium said:
But it's getting tough to overlook the fact that DC stuck us with HUBCAPS.

Yes, for those of you who are not already aware of this fact, we are rolling aluminum wheels with chrome plastic covers. As if sticking us with 18s when the show car rolls 20s wasn't bad enough.QUOTE]

My new wheel locks just came in yesterday; I took them home to install. Found out very quickly that the current locks specified in the Mopar catalog for the 300's DO NOT fit the 300C with chrome wheels and the chrome plastic covers. This hubcap will cover only the size of the current lugs. The locks provided to me were twice as tall in heighth and, consequently, do not fit. Driving w/o the hubcaps is no option since it detracts from the wheels.

My dealer is trying to straighten out the problem. When, if, I can get some locks that fit, will advise.

BTW, another thought in the same vein. These hubcaps are very easy to remove, just a screwdrive or some other flatbladed lever will take them off -- a pocketknife, etc. So I can see these things being taken by the kids, etc.

I'm going to have to tell DC that this design is a BAD idea. The wheels really look crappy without the hubcaps since the lugs are meant to be covered.

#12 ·
Actually, it's not my only complaint, but that wasn't the point. I don't know if any of you with the sunroof option are getting roof creak from body flex, but I sure am. I can also hear heat expansion in the roof panel (tink - tink - tink) whenever I go from a cool garage outside into the sun. So far, the dealer hasn't offered a fix. They said to come back after their tech had been 300 certified. There you have it.

Michael

#15 · (Edited)
E55 KEV said:
miles, were the locks lugnuts or lugbolts? Thanks.
The locks were lugnuts. This car has only bolts set into the wheel hubs. The wheels are attached with five lugnuts. One locknut goes on each wheel, replacing one OEM lognut.

Current lugnuts are about 1/2 inch tall, the locks were over an inch tall, thus the hubcap (cover) wil not go back on. No word yet from DC abut properly-sized locknuts. Will advise all when I get some other info.

#17 · (Edited)
E55 KEV said:
Lugnuts are standard. I wonder why DCX has this picture of locking "Lugbolts" in the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum Accessory catalogs. Lugbolts are specific on Mercedes, BMW, Audi. Seems they are confused.

My local parts manager hasn't called me back yet; he said he had to do some additional research with Chrysler. I'll have to show him this pic.

Thanks very much E55 KEV; I really appreciate your help. You probably have found the solution here on "wheellocks" for this model series. I just thought DCX screwed up on this item as did my parts manager. Maybe DCX did consider the hubcap space when coming up with this lock system (AND FOUND ANOTHER WAY TO CHARGE Chrysler for parts for this car). :^((
Just got off the phone with my local Mopar parts manager. He states that Mopar has now recognized that both the pic in the 300 accessory brochure and their previous locknuts are incorrect and not valid. The locknuts I had were made for any 300 wheel which does not have a hubcap (cover).

Further, Mopar is developing a new lockNUT for the 300C or any 300 model with hubcaps. They will have nuts which are able to be fit under the hubcap.

So, we wait until this modified product becomes available. Probably a couple of month, IMO.

#19 ·
E55 KEV said:
this is what is listed on www.mopar.com & Chrysler.com's build a car:

One-piece Wheel Lock kit, set includes four chrome-plated locking nuts,
one exclusive Mopar key
$33.00
Thanks; that's the set I bought and returned which does not fit the 300C or any DCX car with these covers (hubcaps).

I'll advise the new stock number when I get the proper ones for the "C" model.

#20 ·
magnesium said:
Actually, it's not my only complaint, but that wasn't the point. I don't know if any of you with the sunroof option are getting roof creak from body flex, but I sure am. I can also hear heat expansion in the roof panel (tink - tink - tink) whenever I go from a cool garage outside into the sun. So far, the dealer hasn't offered a fix. They said to come back after their tech had been 300 certified. There you have it.

Michael
Definitely experiencing body flex with my blue 300C. The sunroof is sagging on the front edge by about 3/16". You can hear the car flexing when pulling in or out of steep driveways especially.

Anyone seeing the sides of their hood sinking??? The top edge on each side of the hood is almost 1/4" BELOW the top of the fender.

#21 ·
HiMiHemiMD said:
Definitely experiencing body flex with my blue 300C. The sunroof is sagging on the front edge by about 3/16". You can hear the car flexing when pulling in or out of steep driveways especially.

Anyone seeing the sides of their hood sinking??? The top edge on each side of the hood is almost 1/4" BELOW the top of the fender.
Not here at 1975 miles. Car still feels/is like driving a solid brick.

How many miles on yours? Had any accidents?

#22 ·
HiMiHemiMD said:

I thought I might have been the only one.

Something is definitely not right up top on our cars. I can't say anything about the hood (mine's OK), but on anything but the hottest of days, the car creaks like "a bad American car." No accidents of any kind with my car.

I noticed it the day I picked the car up, but my dealer didn't have a 300 certified tech to address the issue. He logged it for me, and I will have someone look at it at my first service. I suggest you do the same.

Let us all know how your dealer responds to the issue.

#25 ·
I bought my 300C on April 12th...13 days before the official premier so I've had over two months to put 7,600 (yes, seven thousand six hundred) miles on it. No accidents that I know of but horrible DC streets can rattle your car as badly as a minor fender bender sometimes. I called my service advisor AGAIN today and of course was sent to voicemail. I'm sure she'll be delighted to see me outside of the dealership on Monday morning since I didn't hear back from her today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.