Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the car today and the wife just happened to be coming up behind it at the time. She said both tail pipes puffed blue smoke when I started it. I have never noticed any lingering smoke from anytime that I started it so I wonder if this is anything I should worry about? The car was started this morning just to move it back in the driveway. I drove it about 60 miles yesterday on the way from the airport. I would think this may indicate bad valve seals. Is this a problem with the 6.1 or should this be considered normal. Anyone else see the same thing from there hot-rods?
-John
P.S. it's a 06 SRT8 with 12k miles.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I started the car today and the wife just happened to be coming up behind it at the time. She said both tail pipes puffed blue smoke when I started it. I have never noticed any lingering smoke from anytime that I started it so I wonder if this is anything I should worry about? The car was started this morning just to move it back in the driveway. I drove it about 60 miles yesterday on the way from the airport. I would think this may indicate bad valve seals. Is this a problem with the 6.1 or should this be considered normal. Anyone else see the same thing from there hot-rods?
-John
P.S. it's a 06 SRT8 with 12k miles.

Hey 345CID, if you do a search you will see it is not really a problem but does happen on occasion. The way the crank case vent system works makes this possible. It is basically breathing right into your intake and a rather large amount of oil can/does build up in the intake manifold. Then, you go to start it and bang, get a little smoke. It seems the weather and other conditions have a lot to do with it.

You can mount a "catch can" and delete the problem. Do a search on Catchcan or catch can and you will quickly be up to speed.

Moose.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moose.. thanks for the info.. now i can relax a little

1 - 3 of 3 Posts