Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only two gripes about this car are the lack of tire on back and the seats that crinkle like they are stuffed with discarded wrapping paper. Easy solution for the first is order a wider rim. I just placed an order for staggered 20" grey Viper repro from Factory Reproductions with 275/40 conti DWs and 245/45 on 9" and 10" rims respectively. Also ordered a Corsa extreme w black tips. I guess Corsas fix for the back pressure code was to go from 2.75" diameter pipes to 2.5". Anyway, I am getting the new reworked pipes that won't cause the 392 to throw a lack of back pressure code. Ordered from the guys at auto anything. I also ordered some torch red Llyods mats with black piping and SRT8 logo (old logo) but should look nice with red interior. Exteriorus ddiamond white. Also got a life time warranty w 100 deductable. I waited a year and w 22,000 miles I figure I know I like this car enough to keep it for 200,000 miles. Better enjoy cause they won't make motors the size of our forever.
Will post pics. BTW I have run a 12.8 with a 4.8 0 to on worn out 245s. I hope to lower that time w 275. Hope the weight penalty doesn't set me back...

·
Registered
32 Posts
looking forward to seeing the pics as I have a 2012 white srt8 with the Red Interior also and will be getting those same rims in a month or so! :)
I have some custom badges coming from <nsv / member> soon which you might be interested in but no one is seeing those 'til they go on my car first! :D
Take some pics of the mats too as I need to get some as mine was missing the summer mats.
Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got the same mats except mine just say HEMI on them. Also looking forward to seeing pictures

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
508 Posts
My only two gripes about this car are the lack of tire on back and the seats that crinkle like they are stuffed with discarded wrapping paper. Easy solution for the first is order a wider rim. I just placed an order for staggered 20" grey Viper repro from Factory Reproductions with 275/40 conti DWs and 245/45 on 9" and 10" rims respectively. Also ordered a Corsa extreme w black tips. I guess Corsas fix for the back pressure code was to go from 2.75" diameter pipes to 2.5". Anyway, I am getting the new reworked pipes that won't cause the 392 to throw a lack of back pressure code. Ordered from the guys at auto anything. I also ordered some torch red Llyods mats with black piping and SRT8 logo (old logo) but should look nice with red interior. Exteriorus ddiamond white. Also got a life time warranty w 100 deductable. I waited a year and w 22,000 miles I figure I know I like this car enough to keep it for 200,000 miles. Better enjoy cause they won't make motors the size of our forever.
Will post pics. BTW I have run a 12.8 with a 4.8 0 to on worn out 245s. I hope to lower that time w 275. Hope the weight penalty doesn't set me back...
My Corsa Xtreme (model 14464) has 2.75" pipes.

Lot of us have gone to 275's in the rear on the stock rims. They fit well. but I do like the look of the Viper rep's. Do you know the weight difference?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you guys get any wheel spin with the 275's when using launch control mode??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't get an answer on what the stockers weigh. I saw it once and didn't write it down. The vipers weigh 41.7 lbs for the 10" and 33.9 lbs for the 9". They are cast aluminum and the stockers are forged. I much prefer forged for strength an lighter weight. I would guess the stockers weigh 30 or slightly less. Will post that weight after I get them off. I was shocked at the different between 10 and 9, but I feel the lack of tire holds this car back. First time I see some 245s or 30th cheap, the 275 are going bye- bye. I don't like the extra rotating weight, but love the Factory Reproductions rims. I went w Conti DW extremes at 30 lbs each for the 275/40. They are extra load, 330 AA A, should be a good wet dry tire for the $200. Range. I think I am going to do a light tint as well.
I would also like some 392 HEMI stickers for the front fender and in back. Will post pics of the finished product. Does anyone know the weight of the stockers? What is the diameter of the stock exhaust 2.5 I hope.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do you guys get any wheel spin with the 275's when using launch control mode??
Yes. On the street, at least. Haven't tried on a well prepared track yet. But I'll fix that in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why 275's if you're buying a 10" wheel? I'd go 315 all day on a wheel that wide.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So the stock exhaust is 2.75" and I just paid 1400 to put a potato in one pipe?????
What are you talking about??? The Corsa flows better than stock, is true dual, sounds a whole lot better, and is stainless. What more do you want? Isn't that what you bought it for?

You DO NOT need bigger diameter pipes. They will not help. At least not until you do mods that gain you about 200 hp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will go wider when i find a wider tire cheaper. I will b fine w corsa as long as it is the same diameter as the stock. Looking forward to the X pipe also. I like a pop on decel.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Why 275's if you're buying a 10" wheel? I'd go 315 all day on a wheel that wide.
Totally agree on this one. 275's on a 10" rim is doing it no favors. Guys running 275 are doing it on 9" rims for the most part. Get 295 at a minimum. If 315 fits with your offset (and maybe rolling the fender) then do that!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean you "have" to. 275's on a 10" rim is just fine in my mind for those of us not worried about getting every last mm they can stuffed under the wheel well. In my case it's more for cosmetic. I've had 275's on the rear of my Magnum for 6 years and they are a nice blend of adequate traction and not looking out of place. In other words -it's more factory looking. The 10" Viper has a deeper dish and just looks better than the 9" plus I wanted the staggered look. I've ordered the same wheel/tire combo for the 300 now and I don't think I'll be regretting it. :)

Reactions: dp300

·
Registered
508 Posts
You guys have to remember the end game here. I agree that the wider rims could support wider tires. But there is a cost. Bigger/wider tires are heavier. If you want to go fast, you need the lightest wheel/tire combo possible that can hook up. I went 10's with a street car LS1 that had 275's. And I have 275's on the back now.

No doubt the wider tires look great. But they have their consequences.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well put, weight was my biggest concern. Not that our cars are light weights,,, but more weight on the rear wheels works against inertia, making the tach needle move slower. When I had a GN and a T-type ( still have the GN w 32K miles) we would pull the plug on the ORP and swap the steel GN wheels for the lighter aluminum T-type wheels. Same for the LS2 V i traded ( stealth grey like Gibbys Grand Cherokee?), swapped the stock 25.5# factory for a factory optional 22.5 twin spoke ASAP. This is the first time I have ever put a heavier rim on in place of OEM. Going from a forged 9" to a cast 9" that weighs 33.9# and a 10# that weighs 41.7# hurts. Since I am blacking the car out, and am crazy about this cars looks, I am willing to compromise weight for esthetics. I also feel that running a 30 mm wider tire with a superior tread pattern and 330 AA A compound will offset the losses I take on the weight penalty. Not to mention the Conti extreme DW will perform great in rain. Should be a good improvement over my 22.000 mile badyears. Not to mention that I got tires and rims shipped and mounted for about $1700. Sure I could have put on a preferred 295, but they would act like skis in the rain on my daily driver and I would have paid through the nose an would have added weight and probably got no better tire than I am putting on today. I will probably buy a 295 or 305 this year after Christmas when the tire companies cant fire sale summer tires cheap enough. I am a patient man. I will post the weight of the stocker once I get them off. Will also post the results of the tire pressure sensors that Factory Reproductions set me up with. They assured me that I would not have any chime issues. They make a great looking rim for the $ and thus far have been great to work with.

Chubb

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well put, weight was my biggest concern. Not that our cars are light weights,,, but more weight on the rear wheels works against inertia, making the tach needle move slower. When I had a GN and a T-type ( still have the GN w 32K miles) we would pull the plug on the ORP and swap the steel GN wheels for the lighter aluminum T-type wheels. Same for the LS2 V i traded ( stealth grey like Gibbys Grand Cherokee?), swapped the stock 25.5# factory for a factory optional 22.5 twin spoke ASAP. This is the first time I have ever put a heavier rim on in place of OEM. Going from a forged 9" to a cast 9" that weighs 33.9# and a 10# that weighs 41.7# hurts. Since I am blacking the car out, and am crazy about this cars looks, I am willing to compromise weight for esthetics. I also feel that running a 30 mm wider tire with a superior tread pattern and 330 AA A compound will offset the losses I take on the weight penalty. Not to mention the Conti extreme DW will perform great in rain. Should be a good improvement over my 22.000 mile badyears. Not to mention that I got tires and rims shipped and mounted for about $1700. Sure I could have put on a preferred 295, but they would act like skis in the rain on my daily driver and I would have paid through the nose an would have added weight and probably got no better tire than I am putting on today. I will probably buy a 295 or 305 this year after Christmas when the tire companies cant fire sale summer tires cheap enough. I am a patient man. I will post the weight of the stocker once I get them off. Will also post the results of the tire pressure sensors that Factory Reproductions set me up with. They assured me that I would not have any chime issues. They make a great looking rim for the $ and thus far have been great to work with.

Chubb
Chubb, I love the GN, especially with low miles. PM me if interested in selling. I have cash and would pay a fair price. Thank you..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Funny you mention that. I have been up since two thinking about selling it. First time i have ever had a thought like that in the over 20 years i have owned the car. I would probably auction it. I know a guy that manages a big player of an auction house. Also coincidental is that i just noticed two and there may be two other aluminum T type wheels in my basement. I came across them in a shelf last night along w my stock set of V Wheels. All in cardboard boxed in a very dry AC basement on a top shelf. I had forgot about both.
my wife says i am more of an accumulator than liquidator. Prob could not let myself part ways. Too much street racing, sun roof off history to let go of.
My wifes cousin may be selling a rotisory restored 57 belair convertible ted w black top. Won IL state fair govenors cup multiple times. He winters in Scottsdale and mentioned he may drive it there this winter and action it off at BJs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts