Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this mod, the button looks tacky but with an oem button from a later model Chrysler or Mercedes, it may look the business or maybe not? Think I'll give it a miss for now but its not a bad little mod for anyone fancy a push button start. Obviously its not a stop button, but will work as start. Here the bits if anyone is interested in a bit of a nice show feature. Ideal for preface lift versions.

Chrysler SRT 8 96 00 02 04 05 07 09 11 LED Push Engine Start Button Ignition Kit | eBay

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
why???? is your key broken????.....lol

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Your still going to have to put the key in to disengage the park lock right?

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2007 300c that I added push button start to (have posted about it else where). The bottom line is the install is more then adding a button. The units come with modules the interact and override the factory security. With the push button you do not need to leave the key in the lock. The push button start modules handle the shifter and steering interlock. This is why you can not just get the button from a newer year or some other car. You need a unit designed specifically for your year and model.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why???? is your key broken????.....lol
Keys work fine partner, just messing around.

Your still going to have to put the key in to disengage the park lock right?
Yep, the keys need to turn to on position, you can then press the button to start. Its only a fancy looking feature, just a thought to help fill up the plastic space on the left side of the cowling. Have found a slightly better kit with a better looking button. Will give it a think.

Engine Start Stop Button Cover for BMW Benz | eBay

That's not a switch. It's just a button/insert to cover the (WIN) module. You have to have a FOBIK style WIN that is capable of factory push button start.

The aftermarket kit on ebay is a joke. Totally pointless if you have to use a key for the on position.
Well spotted & thanks :yup:

I have a 2007 300c that I added push button start to (have posted about it else where). The bottom line is the install is more then adding a button. The units come with modules the interact and override the factory security. With the push button you do not need to leave the key in the lock. The push button start modules handle the shifter and steering interlock. This is why you can not just get the button from a newer year or some other car. You need a unit designed specifically for your year and model.
Please do post up the link.
Might be possible with non Thatcham approved systems, beyond my capacity that though :yup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have a push buittom start kit from auto-innovatio.com, and the cut off key is placed in the cylinder, turned and then capped off completely.
The module uses transponders as well. There is no more steering lock in this manner, but you simply cannot start the car without the alarm being disabled.
Ths is about the same as any other time honestly.

Why?
Becuase we modify cars. Thats about the end of that one lol.
Its nice not carrying a key and only a fob, and the touch is one of quality and luxury.. why? DOnt know, perception really. you touch it momentarily, and it pauses and then fires up and does its thing, just like newer cars, lexus, etc.

Might put on on my 300 soon too.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can have remote start using your smart phone. I suspect they permanently attach the chip from the keyfob and place it near to the skreem and use aftermarket Thatcham approved immobiliser instead, which may immobilise some other circuits? There is a telephone number at the beginning of this video? The chap may be able to elaborate how they do it.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They use the original chip, inside the Chrysler keyfob. I suspect they permanently attach it to the steering column near to the skreem and install their own aftermarket Thatcham approved immobiliser which maybe a starter kill :yup:

They did this Grand Cherokee CRD

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its a great friendly forum. So don't take this the wrong way, and I say this in a friendly way. That switch is nasty! The idea of modifying a 1st generation car in that way is also nasty. Think of your resale value! Potential buyers are going to think "what the..." and walk away. The steering lock is the major issue. Speaking for myself I briefly thought of doing this sort of thing on my 1980 Chrysler Valiant and then thought better of it.

The good thing with the 2nd generation 300 is that it has proximity entry where you just keep the keys in your pocket, and the door unlocks without you touching your keys. Then you get in and start the car with the button. In this context push button start makes sense.

If you already have your keys in your hand... like 1st generation, then its no drama to use the key to start the car.
Just saying.. :)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Its a great friendly forum. So don't take this the wrong way, and I say this in a friendly way. That switch is nasty! The idea of modifying a 1st generation car in that way is also nasty. Think of your resale value! Potential buyers are going to think "what the..." and walk away. The steering lock is the major issue. Speaking for myself I briefly thought of doing this sort of thing on my 1980 Chrysler Valiant and then thought better of it.

The good thing with the 2nd generation 300 is that it has proximity entry where you just keep the keys in your pocket, and the door unlocks without you touching your keys. Then you get in and start the car with the button. In this context push button start makes sense.

If you already have your keys in your hand... like 1st generation, then its no drama to use the key to start the car.
Just saying.. :)
I agree entirely ^^^^^^^^ . I would love a keyless entry and PB start but there is no way i would even consider fitting an aftermarket system. There would be very little advantage at all by an aftermarket system, but there would be the potential for all sorts of unknown problems.

Very well described above.

Jack

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just saying.. I have a very nice one ( ran me 300 uninstalled) and it has no issues.
And resale value is a non issue on my cars. They're too far gone to be looked at as a stocker etc.

Just being devils advocate. All things have quality levels.. I never prefer short cutting or using cheap items. :)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Just saying.. I have a very nice one ( ran me 300 uninstalled) and it has no issues.
And resale value is a non issue on my cars. They're too far gone to be looked at as a stocker etc.

Just being devils advocate. All things have equity levels.. I never prefer short cutting or using cheap items. :)

Love the NIssan

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts
US + Continental European cars versus UK cars cant be compared....the UK alarm system is of much higher spec, and correspondingly you can do far less with it before the system locks up

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts