Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
hemi-22s,

Hello, This is Brian Carotenuto. To answer your question ALL the V8 HEMI engines (5.7 and 6.1) use the same transmission (5 speed WA54580)-otherwise known as the "NAG1". Some of the 3.5 V6's also use the NAG1 as well.

I hope this answers your question....

BTC

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hemi-22s,

Hello, This is Brian Carotenuto. To answer your question ALL the V8 HEMI engines (5.7 and 6.1) use the same transmission (5 speed WA54580)-otherwise known as the "NAG1". Some of the 3.5 V6's also use the NAG1 as well.

I hope this answers your question....

BTC
thanks so 2006 tranny should bolt right in 05 with no mods
dealer said i somehow got water in my tranny and its not covered just started leaking yesterday on the driveway dont see how water would of got in there in a 24 hour period where there was no rain

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
dealer said i somehow got water in my tranny and its not covered just started leaking yesterday on the driveway dont see how water would of got in there in a 24 hour period where there was no rain
You're dealer is pulling a fast one on you. The water got in there from around the filler tube area. It's a well known issue. There is a TSB for this, but I assume your warranty is done with. The transmissions are exactly the same only the software programmed in the TCM is different.

I think you'd be much further ahead to have the TSB done even if it's at your own expense. It calls for flushing the transmission and installing a new torque converter. As far as I know there is no other way water can contaminate your ATF.

Read and familiarize yourself with this TSB and take your car to the dealer - http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_2100306.pdf. Tell them that's how the water got in there.

Bernie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're dealer is pulling a fast one on you. The water got in there from around the filler tube area. It's a well known issue. There is a TSB for this, but I assume your warranty is done with. The transmissions are exactly the same only the software programmed in the TCM is different.

I think you'd be much further ahead to have the TSB done even if it's at your own expense. It calls for flushing the transmission and installing a new torque converter. As far as I know there is no other way water can contaminate your ATF.

Read and familiarize yourself with this TSB and take your car to the dealer - http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_2100306.pdf. Tell them that's how the water got in there.

Bernie

STILL UNDER POWERTRAIN WARRANTY BUT IT WAS LEAKING FLUID AND MAKING A HIGH PITCHED SOUND I JUST HAD THE TRANNY SERVICED 4K MILES AGO AND A NEW LONG BLOCK INSTALLED DUE TO I MANAGED TO BLOW THE ENGINE(THERMOSTAT FAILED AND SEIZED THE MOTOR :(
I DONT SEE HOW WATER GETS IN THERE UNLESS I DROVE THRU 2 FT OF WATER WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
STILL UNDER POWERTRAIN WARRANTY BUT IT WAS LEAKING FLUID AND MAKING A HIGH PITCHED SOUND I JUST HAD THE TRANNY SERVICED 4K MILES AGO AND A NEW LONG BLOCK INSTALLED DUE TO I MANAGED TO BLOW THE ENGINE(THERMOSTAT FAILED AND SEIZED THE MOTOR :(
I DONT SEE HOW WATER GETS IN THERE UNLESS I DROVE THRU 2 FT OF WATER WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO
So you're saying they will pay for the exchange under warranty then??? Are they telling you the tranny is shot and must be replaced? You need to give us some details here.

The water drips down around the fill tube area due to faulty O-Rings BTW.

Bernie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So you're saying they will pay for the exchange under warranty then??? Are they telling you the tranny is shot and must be replaced? You need to give us some details here.

The water drips down around the fill tube area due to faulty O-Rings BTW.

Bernie
I HAD to give them auth for 5 hrs to drop the tranny and see why there was water in there if it is a chrysler issue its covered minus 100 deductible, i dont think its shot it still went in to gear no problem to get on the tow truck but loud noise sounded like torque converter only when i pressed the gas

the as*hole service advisor said to call my auto insurance company and tell em i drove thru a deep puddle because thats what likely happened i told this guys he f****d up in the head for me to make a false insurance claim and i hardly drive my car when it rains let alone thru minature lakes

like i said tranny serviced 4k ago and a new motor put in that time so who knows what they messed up i already had it towed back once after the swap when the belt cut thru the high pressure ps hose since they put it in the wrong place

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Wow, that guy sounds like an idiot. People drive in the rain all the time and don't have this issue. I'd go to another dealer and tell them you have water in the transmission from the filler tube leak and let them handle it the proper way. They'll be able to tell you if only the converter needs replacing. I think your dealer is just trying to falsify a work order.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Thats the #1 reason i hate dealing with dealerships.But if its under warranty you got no choice.Its always seems that they find something thats not under the warranty or they try.Good luck with your tranny.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
The water in the transmission comes from a bad seal around the filler tube as Rambit said. The Fluid leak on the driveway comes from the O-rings for the electrical connector on the right side of the transmission. Completely different issues.

If you are not having any problems other than the leak, you didn't get any water in your transmission. Get the O-rings replaced and seal the fillter tube with some black RTV (that's what the TSB says to do in a nutshell) and don't worry about it. If you are having other symptoms such as shuddering, slipping etc, then you may have in fact gotten water in your tranny. If this happened all the flushing in the world probably won't fix it; your clutches are already damaged and the fix is a complete overhaul. So if you found a good deal on a tranny that DIDN'T get water in it, go for it!

Do you know where the SRT8 trans came from? Wrecked car? or was it removed for some reason and replaced (i.e. maybe that one got water in it too!)

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Re: water in trans

Related to the water in transmission issue: One of the causes for this according to the TSB is condensation from the A/C system. This could explain why you could have this problem even if you didn't drive thru a puddle or it hasn't rained. Back when I first got my car I jacked it up and slid underneath to look for myself; sure enough the A/C drain is DIRECTLY ABOVE the transmission, where any condensation could run down the side of the transmission and puddle in the area where the filler tube is.

The drain is just a black rubber "nipple" looking thing comng thru the floor of the car. I found some 5/16" O.D. plastic tubing (8mm O.D. for you canadians!) that fit snuggly into this nipple. I pushed it in about 1/4" and then routed the tube toward the back of the car and downward, securing the other end to the transmission crossmember with a plastic "zip tie". the end of the tube that I inserted into the rubber drain nipple would probably stay there by itself but I secured it with another small zip tie just in case. Now my A/C condensation drains directly on the ground at the back of the transmission, so there's no way any can find it's way to the filler tube seal area. I also applied some Black RTV sealer to the filler tube seal area (as per the official TSB) as a further precaution. I've had no issues with the transmission (except the totally unrelated leaky O-Rings).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they tested the filler tube said seal is good not covered picked up a tranny outta a srt8 and ordered a better stall converter

thanks for the diy a/c drain hose mod i will do this since i know i didnt drive and get water in the tranny

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k so i got the srt8 tranny on the way and i got a call from the service manager today asking why i was picking up my car without a tranny i told him and asked how they leak tested the tranny dipstick tube he told me they took it apart and ran water over it and no water dripped in side
i told him the protocol per shop manual chrysler issued for 2005 i downloaded off here and he was supposed to leak test with a compressor hose and 4 psi in sealed tranny with soap around the filler tube gasket if bubbles there is a leak since tranny is apart already they cnt do this so he called chrsler main cs dept and they are now covering it minus my 100 deductible :) now i got an extra tranny too with 8k miles out of a wrecked car

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little lost here. I'm reading that you picked your car up without the tranny and you have the SRT8 NAG1 on the way. Did you take it to another dealer for the install and is it only costing you the $100 deductable?

I think when all is said and done the cost of the filler tube and gasket are a small price to pay.

Bernie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, I'm a little lost here. I'm reading that you picked your car up without the tranny and you have the SRT8 NAG1 on the way. Did you take it to another dealer for the install and is it only costing you the $100 deductable?

I think when all is said and done the cost of the filler tube and gasket are a small price to pay.

Bernie
no i told my service adviser i was coming to pick up car with tranny out on tow truck the manager called back and said they would cover it under warranty after he spoke with the main chrysler auth ppl

i had already pd for the nag1 tranny so cant ask for money back screw it tranny is worth alot more than i paid ill sell it soon or later. 3700 new from chrysler 4000 rebuild n labor quoted so i should have no prob selling it for 600 or something

as for the filler gasket tsb on it they should fix that pos seal but oh well

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Gotcha. Good luck and hope everything turns out fine for ya!

Bernie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts