Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some suggestions or ideas what kind of wax do you guys use on your 300's. i am going to buff it out and give it a good wax. one that gives you a great shine and long protection. gngster

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Having a great looking car is so much more than just about a particular wax. Here is one of the best free links you can watch regarding proper maintenance of your vehicle's paint. Even if you don't select the superior products by Adam's, watching the various videos will certainly be educational.

Good luck on your final product choice.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

bruno

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
You have to think more than just wax. It's how you wash. Use a clay bar. Mildy polish/clean the clearcoat. Then apply synthetic sealant and/or wax to get the look, depth and gloss that you want.

There are lots of threads on these topics in the detailing forum.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Yeah, there's varying ways to do it depending on how zealous you wish to get over protecting your clearcoat - if you're not into spending too much, well, it aint gonna be pretty, I have to say it costs at least $100 to have all the right gear, and it sorta goes like this, depending on your method:

* At least 1 really soft sponge for the top half of the car
* Another sponge (preferably still soft, but recognizably different from the first one) for the lower half of the car
* Another sponge for wheels/the really gritty crap that gets down by the wheel wells and stuff
*some claybar about once a year
*LOTS of towels, tons of them, preferably microfiber
*If you're like me, a couple of "absorber" towels for getting the "heavy" water off the car quickly (works great on the wheels/grille too)
*Some kinda wax/sealant/whatever

*2 buckets. I know there's a "2 bucket method" but I still don't get it, I just use them for the various dirty sponges and clean them often.

*Good, foamy soap. Too much and you'll clean the sealant/wax off the car, so be careful

*Some kinda wax/sealant/whatever. Some setups are so elaborate it's almost humorous. IMHO, stick with sealants, they don't normally leave that white crap behind that wax does - costs a little more but it's worth it. Some people say that wax 'brings out more' than sealants do, and some people combine waxes and sealants, again not my thing, but some people do it. :)

Generally, you'd "start" by washing the car, and then claying it (rub the claybar across the entire car with a good coat of soapy water or quick detailing liquid), then uh.. maybe rinse again, and then it's up to you...

Some people polish from that step, some don't. It doesn't always have to be done, and some people use a ranom orbital rotary device (it's kinda like a sander that uses a circular pad, in fact the machines are sometimes sold as them as well!) to polish the car with some liquid.

Myself, I just use an all-in-one sealant after clay and don't clay it more than once every 6 months - not only is that a silly idea but when you clay it can put little scratches in the clearcoat anyway.

Sealants vary too, there's big bottles, little bottles, kinds you only want to put on with a polisher, and some you can just spray on.

My recommendations? I dunno I'm lazy. I've used some things but not a ton - that'd include meguairs' NXT paste (IMHO the best thing you can buy at a store like wal-mart), and their gold class liquid (ugh), mother's carnuba liquid (I hate liquid >_>) and for sealant a weird one called acryllic jett trigger (I'm still out on the verdict on this, but it's easy as hell to put on, and while it isn't quite as slick as NXT is initially, it stays slick for a long time unlike NXT)

Just like say, Zaino though, the company that makes that stuff happens to have a whole lineup of crap you can put on before and after to maximize the look, IMHO it's a waste of money, but that's up to you to decide lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm one of the long term Zaino junkies Been using the stuff for almost ten years and love it. There are, however, a myriad of products out there. Experiment and find one you like. As long as the car shines when you're done, that's all that matters!!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great suggestions on washing the car with the 3 sponges idea. havent tried the claybar yet. i was thinking in havening it buffed out professionaly and putting on the wax myself. gngster

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A clay bar is exactly what it says,its clay made for the car.It removes all the inbedded dirt in your paint.I paid $20.00 for a kit(2 clay bars-detailer spray-wax cleaner-micro fiber cloth)You can buy it at any auto part store.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I've always had excellent results using Meguire's #7 show car glaze followed by Meguire's #26 Yellow Hi-Tech Wax (available in liquid or paste; I use the paste).

You can spend a lot more money but I doubt you'll get better results.

Definitely invest in Microfiber buffing towels; I had never heard of them until reading about them on this forum (had always used terry cloth before) but that is all I've used on my 300C & my '07 Ram; what a difference the microfiber towels make!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dear Lord, whatever you do with a claybar please remember...wash the car once FIRST and then use the clay like a vacuum, not sandpaper! Let it glide across the paint with no more than two finger pressure. You will be rewarded...trust me.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Dear Lord, whatever you do with a claybar please remember...wash the car once FIRST and then use the clay like a vacuum, not sandpaper! Let it glide across the paint with no more than two finger pressure. You will be rewarded...trust me.
I've rubbed my car so much with stuff I'm surprised it doesn't have more swirls. :smashfrea :scared:

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Gold class.. liquid? I have an extra bottle of that stuff and have a bit of a .. temptation.. to.. must.. destroy!

I should make some gold class balloons and toss them at the windshield of offending tailgaters.

I had a much better time with NXT paste, not to mention that it had the same consistency and scent of a citronella candle XD

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I just finished using a lot of the Adams Polishes products and I'm very impressed, plus they're supporting vendors here. Very well known in the Corvette circles too. They have lots of great tips to avoid water spots, one of them is to run water over the car to make it sheet off. I even went out and bought a 150 psi air compressor to get it off more quickly. That and using their detail spray when drying works wonders too.

Bernie

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow, just like men, you ask a simple question and it gets over complicated real quick, LOL. I'll give you my top 3, we women like to have choices, I've used Adam's (really great), Meguire's works for me too (luv the way this one smells too, heehee), and Zymol. I do the two bucket mthod, have her clay barred twice a year... other than that it's simple and routine...
I use an orbital buffer to get the shine out... That's what I'll do till I get the guys from American Gladiators to come out and hand wash & wax my car in their glady-tights, LOL....

·
Registered
194 Posts
A gal with buffing skills and a Hemi to match? I'm in love.

I can't get my girlfriend to even look at a good bottle of car soap!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Zaino products and I use my leaf blower to dry the cars!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Just tried "KLASSE"..amazing stuff..JMO

Everyone has their own favorite I think, try 2-3 of the better ones, over time..
and then you'll have a better knowledge base. Personally..I like "Perfect Auto Finish,
Pig Snot, and Klasse."
Yes,,there is a Sealant called Pig Snot, & it works very well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts