Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had an "auto stick" before.

I know that it's supposed to afford the luxury of an automatic, but also perform as a manual if needed.

How does this work? I have seen the +/- next to the "D" when test driving, but wasn't sure what that meant.


I have a 2006 300C on order.

Concieved on 12/14
Due Date: ?

Thanks for the help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,470 Posts
In "D" you're in full automatic mode. The tranny makes the shifting decisions based on ground speed, pedal position, engine thrust, torgue requirement, etc.

By bumping the stick to the left, you down shift the tranny to a lower gear, one gear at a time. Depending on your model (SRT-8 behave a little differently) it will stay in this gear until red-line or the normal parameters require a yet lower gear (I think). If you take it all the way down to 1st, then you can pop off the line, and bump it to the right to upshift.

I've tried this a few times, and there is some technique development required to get the shift timing down with respect to engine speed, etc. The shift is NOT instantaneous as it would be with a true manual.

I've found the down shifting to be very useful for engine breaking on curvy mountain roads, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
This 300 C Autostick

Just for comparison:

I also have an Autostick in a 1999 Intrepid, and actually like that one a little better (although only a 4 speed) than the one in the C. In the Dodge to go into Autostick one pulls back the lever beyond "D". Then left toggle to downshift and right to upshift. It stays in that mode unless you put it back into "D". One other nice feature is that it automatically goes back to first when one comes to a stop, then allows you to do the manual upshifting. The 300 Autostick just goes down from D with a left toggle, goes back to D when one toggles past 4. It does not automatically downshift at a stop, so one does that for oneself. I guess in that sense, it is more like a real manual. However, I must say that in 7 years of owning the Intrepid and 6 months of the C, 95% of the time, the Autostick feature has not been in use. :wizard:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
IES99 said:
Just for comparison:

I also have an Autostick in a 1999 Intrepid, and actually like that one a little better (although only a 4 speed) than the one in the C. In the Dodge to go into Autostick one pulls back the lever beyond "D". Then left toggle to downshift and right to upshift. It stays in that mode unless you put it back into "D". One other nice feature is that it automatically goes back to first when one comes to a stop, then allows you to do the manual upshifting. The 300 Autostick just goes down from D with a left toggle, goes back to D when one toggles past 4. It does not automatically downshift at a stop, so one does that for oneself. I guess in that sense, it is more like a real manual. However, I must say that in 7 years of owning the Intrepid and 6 months of the C, 95% of the time, the Autostick feature has not been in use. :wizard:
I owned a 2001 300M before my 300C and your description above of your Intrepid is how it behaved. Liked it better than the C.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
I like to shift myself sometimes, pretending it was an actual 5 speed. But for drag, or just racing to the rev limiter, I get the greatest response not from the recommended "just leave it in drive", but by starting in autostick 1, but don't touch the shifter from there ... let it shift itself up through 5. I get great shifts this way.
But then, I get great shifts all the time. I have done a lot of autostick driving, and wot runs (many, many daily:) ) so the tranny has a real aggressive profile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
CUEBALL said:
I like to shift myself sometimes, pretending it was an actual 5 speed. But for drag, or just racing to the rev limiter, I get the greatest response not from the recommended "just leave it in drive", but by starting in autostick 1, but don't touch the shifter from there ... let it shift itself up through 5. I get great shifts this way.
But then, I get great shifts all the time. I have done a lot of autostick driving, and wot runs (many, many daily:) ) so the tranny has a real aggressive profile.
Ok, let me get this straight... You are leaving the tranny selector in "1" and it's still shifting to the next gear at red-line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
UnLTDRubicon said:
Ok, let me get this straight... You are leaving the tranny selector in "1" and it's still shifting to the next gear at red-line?
I've even held the shifter to the left (-), and it will upshift to the next gear at redline. :yup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Yeah, I wish sometimes it would hold the selected gear like most auto trans will, but that was more the case when I first started driving and it would shift early when I was at less than WOT. Now, even at 50-75% WOT it holds almost to redline before shifting (aggressive profile).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
Irwin said:
I agree with GoofyTim, The auto stick is useful when engine braking going around curvy mountainous roads.
So when you downshift it from "D", will the SRT keep it there no matter how fast/slow you go? I.e. can you bog the motor if you're going 5mph in 2nd?

And how do you get it back to FULL AUTO after downshifting? Just upshift till you hit "D" again and it's in full auto?

I would figure this crap out if I only had the darn car here already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
down shifting

teahead said:
So when you downshift it from "D", will the SRT keep it there no matter how fast/slow you go? I.e. can you bog the motor if you're going 5mph in 2nd?

And how do you get it back to FULL AUTO after downshifting? Just upshift till you hit "D" again and it's in full auto?

I would figure this crap out if I only had the darn car here already.
My car is only the "C". Going down a hill or around a curve I just downshift the auto-stick to 4. If I need more braking I can downshift to 3 or 2 or even 1. To go back to any higher gear just tap the auto-stick to the right. If you tap it just for an instant it will go up only one gear, holding the auto-stick will take you to D which is 5. When down shifting or up shifting, as everyone mentions in their posts, there is a hesitation. Also if you are in D, by holding the auto-stick to the left instead of only taping it, you can go straight to 1.
I will eventually find out if downshifting for engine braking to save my brakes will eventually wear out the transmission. Also you can up shift while your foot is on the accelerator.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
teahead said:
So when you downshift it from "D", will the SRT keep it there no matter how fast/slow you go? I.e. can you bog the motor if you're going 5mph in 2nd?

And how do you get it back to FULL AUTO after downshifting? Just upshift till you hit "D" again and it's in full auto?

I would figure this crap out if I only had the darn car here already.

You pretty much already have it figured out; My car is a 300C, my dad has an SRT8. My regular "C" has 1,2,3,4, and "D", while the SRT8 has a "5" positon as well. Same tranny, but the "C" does not have the option of manually selecting 5th. The "C" will upshift at redline even if you hold it 1st gear; I don't think the SRT8 will (not sure about that one; I never drove my dad's car that hard - - I'll let HIM do that :) )

To get back to full auto just hold the autostick to the right until it shows "D" on the display (in either the SRT8 or the regular "C")
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,499 Posts
Irwin said:
I agree with GoofyTim, The auto stick is useful when engine braking going around curvy mountainous roads.
I drop down to 2nd to descend snowy/icy hills (I live on one). It adds drag at the rear so you don't have to brake as hard and lets the ESP help keep the car going in a straight line. I also have 80 pounds of cat litter in the trunk to help rear traction for downhill and uphill traction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
LTD, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this but your avatar is i believe may be "wrong".

When the tires move down the occupants move up etc... Unless its intended for joke purposes???

Not critizing you or anything bro.. its more of a "have you noticed" question....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
EndersGame said:
LTD, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this but your avatar is i believe may be "wrong".

When the tires move down the occupants move up etc... Unless its intended for joke purposes???

Not critizing you or anything bro.. its more of a "have you noticed" question....
GEE PICKY PICKY LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,106 Posts
I once heard that if you slammed the stick back to the left after it upshifts, it'll downshift and stick, not something I'd want to do though :O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
EndersGame said:
LTD, I apologize if this is not the appropriate place to post this but your avatar is i believe may be "wrong".

When the tires move down the occupants move up etc... Unless its intended for joke purposes???

Not critizing you or anything bro.. its more of a "have you noticed" question....
I noticed that after I made it, but then it was too late. Thanks for noticing... :nutkick: LOL
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top