Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't think of a better person to ask... I've seen your posts over at MBworld and here. I'm in need of an alternative daily driver to comfortably commute 80 miles each way, 3 days a week. My criteria is pretty simple. A comfortable, well suspended vehicle with stout horsepower, and some kind of dramatic personality. To make the purchase I need to sell my toy porsche 944 turbo, that's modified to lay down just under 300hp at the rear wheels, on a full koni and aftermarket sway bar suspension. The top two cars on my list are a '97 420/'98-00 430, or a new 300c Hemi.

I haven't purchased a new car since my '86 Taurus SHO; a great four door offering with a decent motor, good performance and plenty of comfort for big mile drives. The 300c seems like the same formula, but with about twice as much car when all is said and done. BTW, I sold a DeTomaso Pantera to buy the SHO- I grew tired of a finicky sports car that required endentured slavery for weekend maintenance- I'm at the same point with the porsche today...

It seems like there are a number of 420/430s for sale in the SF Bay Area for between 17K-28K, a lot less than a new 300c. I can afford the 300c in the family budget, and the 420/430 on the surface is a lot of car for a lot less cash, but I'm concerned about medium term maintenance costs on the W 210 models.

I did a search on problems around the 210 series on MBworld; it didn't take much digging to find a lot of common issues, so I figured I'd ask you directly for a little advice. Sorry if this is too out of the blue...

Are you happy with the 300c? How about in comparison to your current e55 (amazing car BTW)? Although it's a little early to tell, do you think the 300 will hold up over time? How does it compare to your former 430? With such an amazing car as your E55, why did you buy the 300c? Any other thoughts on 300c ownership you'd like to share?

Cheers,

Coop

quick note- there's a spelling error in the navigation bar:
300C forums > 300C di(s)cussion > General Discussion ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you mean an 86 Taurus or 89 SHO?

And I admit, I am just as curious as you. I have noticed the 300C pulls in buyers from atypical makes. People trading in 7-series come to mind, and I'm sure there are other, similar examples...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kevm14 said:
Did you mean an 86 Taurus or 89 SHO?

And I admit, I am just as curious as you. I have noticed the 300C pulls in buyers from atypical makes. People trading in 7-series come to mind, and I'm sure there are other, similar examples...
86 or 89?; wow, alzheimers has certainly settled in... :D

It was a first year SHO, and I think you're right it was an '89. The 86 was a Maxima SE with the funky adjustable suspension- another four door, stout engined Q-ship in it's day. I think I see a pattern.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
thinkcooper, although I prefer Mercedes over Chrysler I would recommend the 300C hands down if the cost is no object! The second choice while saving money is also a good idea. If you go for the W210 E-Class start with the 1998 E430 withe ESP. It has the current engine with dual plugs, 3-valves, 12k mile oil changes and 100k tuneups. The V8 in the 1997 E420 is carryover from the W124 chassis. The 300C is a more comfortable car, plus larger. The 300C is the Ol Ladies car and would never replace my E55. Even with 340 vs 349HP and the same torque (390) the 300C does not move out, kick down nor as fast as the W210 E55. Perhaps you could find a 1999 E55! The 2000 E55 would be a better choice. Get one from a dealer that is Starmarked if possible. The 99 and 2000 E55 can be had for the price of the new 300C.

The quality control 'should' be better on the 300C than the W210. The W210 is during Mercedes low-quality rating periods with cheaper quality interior stuff and most, both of mine, suffer from annoying headliner, sunroof rattles. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts