Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I check my oil stick, the side where it has the markings the oil is below the add marking. I turn it over where there is no markings and the oil level is up to the full level as if i was looking at the other side. Is this normal, or does it mean I need to add oil?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
my stick reads the same on either side,but we do get some cars in our place that have the same problem as you,we turn the stick around and recheck.Make sure you have waited a good couple of minutes to let the oil run down into the sump or you will get false readings

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Yeah the best time to check oil is in the morning if your car sits in the garage overnight (on a nice flat platform! w00t!)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Did you wipe off the dipstick after you pulled it out?

You should always pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean with a cloth, and
then stick it back in to get a proper reading.

Otherwise, you can get a false reading due to the oil moving around in the
oil pan during driving, and leaving some residual oil slightly higher up on
the dipstick.

Also, you should always check it with the engine COLD. Otherwise, all the
oil thats up inside the engine does not have time to drip back down into the
oil pan, and will it will give you a false low reading, when you actually have
the proper amount in there.

Too much oil is just a big a problem for an engine as too little. If you have
too much, and it comes in contact with the crankshaft, it can get whippped
up, and get foamy, and that mess will not flow thru the passages it need to
flow thru. That causes the engine to get starved for oil, and you can destroy
your motor due to lack of lubrication and heat.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Resume Speed once posted that the SRT engineers ran the 6.1 two quarts low without problems and also one quart full without problems...FYI.

Eric

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'v learned in 4 1/2 months of ownership that the 300C takes a little longer for the oil to settle in the pan. Maybe it's just the V-8? I wonder why the dipstick is twisted like it is. It needs to be inserted with care to prevent it from bending.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'v learned in 4 1/2 months of ownership that the 300C takes a little longer for the oil to settle in the pan. Maybe it's just the V-8? I wonder why the dipstick is twisted like it is. It needs to be inserted with care to prevent it from bending.
I asked the same question after I first got my AWD and checked the oil. The dipstick on an AWD is twisted to allow it to curve in the tube around the additional parts for the front wheel drive. non-AWD models have "normal" straight dipsticks I believe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

I asked the same question after I first got my AWD and checked the oil. The dipstick on an AWD is twisted to allow it to curve in the tube around the additional parts for the front wheel drive. non-AWD models have "normal" straight dipsticks I believe.
Oh, and it also comes in handy for opening wine if you loose your corkscrew! lol! :fing02:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am checking the oil when the engine is cold. I just dont know why everytime the oil level is on the wrong side of the stick it seems.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
turn it over

I am checking the oil when the engine is cold. I just dont know why everytime the oil level is on the wrong side of the stick it seems.
Just turn the stick 180 degrees when you reinsert and it will all be fine.

And The best time to check is before you start the car the first thing in the AM. You'll get the most accurate reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts