Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last nite I went to different track to try out my Air hammer I had a K&N CAI so I understand different tracks you might run different ok..I ran the same 60fts and MPH but I was a good .3 to .4 tenths slower weird no?????? Am I missing something..Oh they also were using a Pro tree which took me a little bit to get used to...which I did...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Ambient conditions can affect the times. What was the D/A the two nights

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
Temperature? Density/Altitude readings? Humidity percentage? Your car won't be consistently right on the tenth of a second all the time due to ambient conditions...ever...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DAs were different then why was the 60ft the same and final MPH the same...weird..does that mean then my car did pick up a little being I had the same mph as my best being in worse conditions? all I changed was CAI's I had the Air hammer...I think im going back to the track I got my better ET's this upcoming Weds...we will see...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
60' is to small a distance to have a big impact caused by DA. That is more a function of tack prep and right foot. How do the 1/8 and 1000' compare.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost identical...that's whats bothering me...1st the clocks were not working they said that lighting did something to the score board...they did hand us out our slips but people in the stands couldn't see anything...the announcer had to say what people were running..so im thinking something is off...the DA was higher then my best run...so im thinking at lower DA's more car will run better then my best ET so far..maybe the Air Hammer did help a little...lol

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
DA is not an issue at the start. It comes into play the more air the engine is gulping as it is at high speed and high RPM's moving fast down the track. Ambient temperature has a lot to do with times and for the same reason.

60' times are not really affected by DA. Both an increase in temperature, pressure, and, to a much lesser degree, humidity will cause an increase in density altitude. Thus, in hot and humid conditions, the density altitude at a particular location may be significantly higher than the true altitude. That means less oxygen molecules per cubic feet of air ingested into the engine and this becomes critical to performance as more air is demanded by the engine at higher speeds and the car is rushing through the air.

Cooler temps, lower atmospheric pressure and lower humidity (lower DA) are better conditions for making power than higher DA conditions.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Ahem, beg your pardon. D/A will not affect 60 foot time in a traction limited car. If you can hook it up you CAN run faster times in great D/A conditions.

And it is fact that the nice dense cool air we like for POWER has notably more resistance to our passage. We are in total agreement that this only gets worse the faster you go.

I love drag racing! Actually any kind of track works for me...

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
Stock car with open diff = limited traction. DA really don't matter until you've overcome the traction issue and really begin to ramp up that engine. What happens if you totally hammer an open diffed car at the line? Nothing...but a lot of smoke. So any lower DA condition is negated by the loss of traction. If you don't hammer it but roll up on it correctly with a linear progression of the go pedal, engine RPM's don't go from Zero to Race until later. Again, DA won't matter at that particular point.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All of that makes sense but here is a question for you I went 108 mph with the k&n CAI at -600 DA Now I went 108 mph in 1972 DA with the Air Hammer so did I pick up power ???...never mind times...lol...I still had the same 60ft to as my Best runs at -600 you guys say doesn't mean anything ok leave that out then, lol...so is my car making more power with the Air hammer to produce the same mph in lower DA????

Oh on a side note I found out that I have Blue Tops in the Trans wow is all I can say about that....lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
All this talk and no times... What did you run...lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All this talk and no times... What did you run...lol

Best run to date with the K&N at E-town was 12.7 @ 108 mph... 60ft 1.96

I ran 13.1 @ 108 with a 2.02 60ft at Island dragway with the LMI intake

Going to Head back to E-town this week i hope... but what makes no sense to me is im .4 tenths off same MPH almost the same 60ft and same mph...E-town was -600 DA Island was 1572 DA...im thinking the LMI helped somewhere...lol...

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
I'm trying to stay outta this debate... But yes imo based on d/a on both runs you picked up some time if you still trapped at a 108 with a 2.02 60... See if you can get similar conditions and try her again but its always tough comparing to be fair. I know my car is faster now with gears and a stall but my times only showed it once, I know it was lots of other variables at play that caused the slower times... Try and get similar conditions but the o not way to really tell is back to back runs on the same night with different intakes... Even then there are some variables..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think im going to E-town this weds...i will try it again..and see what happens...lol..im thinking if i run my DR's and i don't break an axle i can get this to run 12.5's then the ZEX kit goes on...hoping for high 11's

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
You can get a 12.5 but only if everything is perfect. I have over 200 passes on mine and my best is posted here as a vid in Track Talk. I have never gone better than 1.87 60 foot on street tires in this car. It is a bit tricky to launch.

I have seen absolutely stock as delivered new and tight first gen SRT8's run 12.56 and 12.64. The 12.64 I witnessed in person. There's a good time in there if you can drive it!

Reactions: MY SRT8 HEMI

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I found a good DA calculator from the times i ran Friday puts me at 12.7 @ 110 this is with stock tires and a 2.0 60ft....So two things i think in better DA [-] numbers which Englishtown gets...i can squeak maybe a 12.5-12.6...Now i do have MT DR's mounted already on another set of stock rims maybe i will try them just dont feel like replacing a axle yet Im going to eventually...i want the 1000 hp axles...Then i can start spraying it 100-125 shot...hoping for some 11's I think i can drive...i used to run 1.80's of F1's spraying nitrous off the line with my Old magnum SRT8 so i think i can get this to launch with street tires...i hope...the fun thing with this car is the Blue tops...lol chirps 1st 2nd and 3rd going down the track...lol...My wife said all you hear is chirp...chirp....chirp..LOL...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts