Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question to other experienced in audio and support!

In this picture you see they removed rear deck entirely. It looks cool and eliminates trunk rattle but I have to wonder. Doesn't the rear deck help to strengthen the sway of the car? Isn't it vital for the integrity of this vehicle?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
wesexcellence said:
Question to other experienced in audio and support!

In this picture you see they removed rear deck entirely. It looks cool and eliminates trunk rattle but I have to wonder. Doesn't the rear deck help to strengthen the sway of the car? Isn't it vital for the integrity of this vehicle?

Yup doesn't seem wise to me. Especially considering how *I* drive. Whipping a giant 4 door with a hemi around turns is FUN. That would concern me a lot.

I've eliminated 95% of the rattles in my car, but not without the help of a very talented installer. I'm running sealed 2.6 cu ft aimed back.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guys (who are brave) want to try this in mine. But it's not their car is it?
I wonder if I made some kind of bracing if it would work. Also, I would need to make some side-mount hinges for my trunk, But we are known for taking chances...that's what put us on the map.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think itd be wiser to just port it through the rear deck as opposed to removing too much of it. Perhaps some of those big ass triangle ports cut through the center of the deck evenly spaced? Then create a custom rear flush mounting deck to show off the rear components and ports?

Something super subtle, slick, and retains factory rigidity.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
One other point, all these cosmetic mods we have been up to don't compromise crashworthiness, this mod will. This could cost someone thier life in a broadside or rear ender. "The prudent see danger and take refuge, the simple keep going and suffer for it" Prov. 27:12

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just came from the shop in my town and I was talking to the owner about cutting up the rear deck and firing the subs into the cabin and what I had read on here about the structural integrity being compromised. He has done an install on a bmw with 2 10's in the rear deck and he said the design of the rear decks on the 300c and the bmw are similar in that the support points are in the corners behind the head rests and that cutting the top of the rear deck will not compromise strength. I'm leaning towards cutting up my rear deck but the other idea is like Wes has said to fire the subs forward and seal off the trunk from the front. I'm scheduled to bring in my car on Feb. 1st so lets start the debate about whether or not I should go through with this.

He just recently returned from the CES in Vegas and has signed to do a show car for a sub company for next years show. He does top notch work and I trust him. Check out the October 4 sticky (85 Mercedes AMG), owner is a rep for zapco, along with some other custom stuff.
http://fresnoracing.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=6
http://fresnoracing.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6651

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Its pretty simple to me. Why screw up your resale value for the sake of laziness? I am running a sealed enclosure in the trunk with a 15" brahma, and after a bit of effort and persistence, have amazingly clean sound, and not a SINGLE rattle. Any capable installer is fully capable of limiting rattles.

Superior sound does great work, but I hate the fact that they plaster that logo all over all the work they do. I hope they give the owners of those vehicles a cost break for advertising their work so blatently. I personally wouldn't do this to a car simply because my installer, or myself wants to save some time by not having to sound deaden the trunk. Its going to cost a heck of a lot more, possibly reduce rigidity, and lower your resale value.

If you heard my setup you would have second thoughts. Its not worth it. Unless you want sealed why not just go ported and port it through the rear deck?

Get Deadinin! :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good advise. If ported properly it should sound great. Whatever the port requirements you just count the inches out of the enclosure instead of inside. As long as the length is correct...it should sound the same as if the port is entirely in the box.
We have changed our minds, alot to do with the wisdom in this forum.

·
Registered
303 Posts
wesexcellence said:
That's good advise. If ported properly it should sound great. Whatever the port requirements you just count the inches out of the enclosure instead of inside. As long as the length is correct...it should sound the same as if the port is entirely in the box.
We have changed our minds, alot to do with the wisdom in this forum.
Wes, so you're saying to still face the subs firing into the trunk and port the deck or face them into the back seats? Also, how would you get away with a slot port in the deck? I'm running two separate amps into separate cubes and that would still involve alot of cutting for two ports in the deck.

Rogue, it's not required to have their logo installed with their work.

·
Registered
303 Posts
wesexcellence said:
Fire the subs forward sealed-off and ported (whether slotted or round) through an opening made in the rear deck.
Kool, sounds like a plan. This will save me so much in labor. Any thoughts on Focal Components?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
bigwise1 said:
Kool, sounds like a plan. This will save me so much in labor. Any thoughts on Focal Components?
There is only one set of Focal Comps, Utopias!! ;)

Alternatives would be OZ Audio Matrix, Diamond Audio Hex, CDT HDs, Rainbow, Morel, Adire Kodas... list can go on and on. Make sure you hear a set in a NICE install, not a sound wall, before deciding on something. I'm running the OZ Audio's. Real mellow and laid back sound, with plenty of midbass and great SQ. I love the Diamond Audio Hex 600 S with the silk tweeter also.

If I had the cash to throw, I'd go for the Focal Utopias though. Man what an amazing set of speakers.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good advise, Rogue. And may I say that any component set this expensive will most likely suffice. MB Quart Qsd's also sound good but the tweeter is a little bright. Most of my customer's like that though.
I think you will be happy on any of the suggested ones as we have installed all but the Morel.
Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
wesexcellence said:
I always look forward to hearing from you, II Kings. Obviously since I'm ordained as a youth minister (although not currently practicing) I look forward to your wisdom.
Thanks, I am not ordained in anything but I do spend time studying scripture: "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" Ps. 119:11

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
bigwise1 said:
Have you guys ever heard image dynamics chameleons? I'm thinking about either those or Focal Polyglass. Those are more in my price range.
I've heard nothing but great things. Image Dynamics IDMAX are amazing subs also. Not to mention they are local to me. I've never heard a set in person though. But their components rank up there for sure...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rogue said:
I've heard nothing but great things. Image Dynamics IDMAX are amazing subs also. Not to mention they are local to me. I've never heard a set in person though. But their components rank up there for sure...
I would be sure of the warranty. Diamond Audio has a 3 year replacement as well as MB Quart has a 1 year replacement and 3 year repair.
Many components sound good, but when you have problems, which company stands by their product. I would buy a product with free replacement.

·
Registered
303 Posts
wesexcellence said:
I would be sure of the warranty. Diamond Audio has a 3 year replacement as well as MB Quart has a 1 year replacement and 3 year repair.
Many components sound good, but when you have problems, which company stands by their product. I would buy a product with free replacement.
Image Dynamics is a 1 yr. I believe. Any thoughts on Focal Polyglass line? Focal is a 3yr. if installed by authorized retailer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts