Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a dumb question. In my last vehicle I had On Star. I have 300c loaded but as far as I know it does not have that. Is there an after market version of on star or something similar? I have satelite radio so I was hoping there was something similar to onstar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On Star is a satelite system that is used on GM vehicles. The closest thing you can get for your car is the UConnect system. If you have a bluetooth enabled phone you can use it for all your hands free calls in your car. It is wireless and will mute the stereo and if you have the nav the caller id will pop up. I have it and it is great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is nothing like On Star available with Chrysler. On Star is an amazing service that I wish all car companies would provide either in patnership with GM or having their own service like that.

UConnect is nothing even resembling On Star.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Didn't say it was. All I said it was the closest thing to it. The hands free bluetooth works better than the On Star and can be used with any cellular carrier and costs absolutely nothing to use. There are no charges like the On Star.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have to agree, I think that it would be nice if all the manufacturers would provide some such service. But you have to buy a GM to get it. So I guess that I will never find out how great that it could be, (at least for now).
I haven't been able to bring myself to consider buying a GM since the horrible, Roger Smith days and the absolute crap they built in the '80s.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Expect a version of OnStar sourced from Mercedes in about 2007.
My cell phone can do everything onstar can do except open my doors, and I still don't understand getting locked out of the car, when you have remote entry anyway.
But, to each his own.
RT

·
Registered
436 Posts
Make It Standard!

rt4 said:
My cell phone can do everything onstar can do except open my doors, and I still don't understand getting locked out of the car, when you have remote entry anyway.
But, to each his own.
RT
I'm with you RT! What in the world happens when you lock your cell phone in your car too. Do you have to run to a pay phone?

Oh wait! I left my wallet in the car too! CRAP!

Run into a store or resturaunt to use the phone, and they tell you its for paying customers only, CRAP!

How does that work? If i'm forgetful enough to leave my car keys in the car, i'd probably leave my phone and wallet in there as well.

Onstar would be the best thing in the world if it was free! If it just came with every GM car I would own one.

Buy myself a little saturn, and it comes with navigation and lifetime onstar for the first owner standard! Theres an idea, start selling a lot more that way forcing all the other car companies to follow suit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think that it would be too hard for Chrysler to convert the 300 with a similar service, MB has one similar to onstar that it offered for their vehicles, forgot what they call their service, could use the same service providers. Those with the nav system, satellite and Uconnect should have no problem as the antenna, speaker interface and GPS is already established. Those with just Uconnect would need to have a satellite antenna and GPS device installed and adjust the speaker interface connection to include the satellite system. I don't know who would be the one to contact to see if there would be a possibility to get the same service because it is the same company, DCX. I had it with my Benz and would definitely get it again. The one thing that was very good, although I never needed it thank goodness, was that the system would automatically call 911 if the airbags were deployed, it also gave 911 your location and time of accident in case you are not able to do any of that yourself. This really gives you piece of mind especially when driving in unfamiliar, or sparsely populated areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have a list of what bluetooth phones are compatible with UConnect? I've been reading up to seven.....I have the Samsung i600.

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
Unlock Your Doors With A Cell Phone

rt4 said:
But, to each his own.
RT
I have no idea if this works or not, but my daughter sent me an e-mail that perhaps may allow a cell phone to unlock your doors:

TO UNLOCK YOUR CAR

Very interesting! For those of you who have a car that can be unlocked by that remote button on your key ring: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, and you don't have "OnStar" here's your answer to the problem!

If someone has access to the spare remote at your home, call them on your cell phone (or borrow one from someone if the cell phone is locked in the car too!). Hold your (or anyone's) cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk, or have the "horn" signal go off, or whatever!)

It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone)

I've never got around to trying it, but maybe it others have heard of this. If my keys are in the ignition, I can't lock my doors. I wonder if the 300 is the same?

Rambit :)

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Aaarghh!!

Rambit said:
I have no idea if this works or not, but my daughter sent me an e-mail that perhaps may allow a cell phone to unlock your doors:

TO UNLOCK YOUR CAR

Very interesting! For those of you who have a car that can be unlocked by that remote button on your key ring: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, and you don't have "OnStar" here's your answer to the problem!

If someone has access to the spare remote at your home, call them on your cell phone (or borrow one from someone if the cell phone is locked in the car too!). Hold your (or anyone's) cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk, or have the "horn" signal go off, or whatever!)

It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone)

I've never got around to trying it, but maybe it others have heard of this. If my keys are in the ignition, I can't lock my doors. I wonder if the 300 is the same?

This does NOT work... just another example of the internet gone awry and one of my pet peeves: the indiscriminant forwarding of nonsense emails without first checking the veracity of the content before perpetuating the garbage. (/end rant) Sorry Rambit, general remarks definitely not directed at you!

There are sites that help you to discern fact from fiction in these emails. I use snopes.com Urban Legends pages, and you can find what they have to say about the above here.

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
HEMEEE said:
This does NOT work... just another example of the internet gone awry and one of my pet peeves: the indiscriminant forwarding of nonsense emails without first checking the veracity of the content before perpetuating the garbage. (/end rant) Sorry Rambit, general remarks definitely not directed at you!

There are sites that help you to discern fact from fiction in these emails. I use snopes.com Urban Legends pages, and you can find what they have to say about the above here.
Oops, sorry 'bout that. You're absolutly right. Did I get sucked in or what? :) I wish I had actually tried it though. I did visit the sight and it's word for word.

Now for the embarassing part...I sent it to everyone in my address book. Now I'll have to send that page as well. Oh well, live and learn. I also bookmarked it for future reference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had onstar on my 03 tahoe Z71 was nice but expensive especially the phone. I have uconnect paired up to my V600 camera phone throught cingular works great and no extra cost. Went to my local locksmith had him make me a dummy key for $3.00 just to get in the car. It will open the door and the alarm goes off but who cares you are in and disarm it with your programmed key. I hid my key in a small case hidden on my vehicle. If you use a magnetic case take off the magnet (it will probably fall off if you drive on bumpy roads) I used a screw to hold the case to the vehicle so it wont fall off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First300COwner said:
Buy myself a little saturn, and it comes with navigation and lifetime onstar for the first owner standard! Theres an idea, start selling a lot more that way forcing all the other car companies to follow suit.
I just saw a add in the paper the other day, that since Onstar saves o many lives(?) that they are gonna start putting Onstart in ever gm starting in 06.
-let me know how it rides!

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
There are plenty of GPS/Cellular based 3rd party systems that let you track your car, lock/unlock doors, enable/disable starter, etc. You can access many of these systems from the internet or your cell phone.

Here's one to check out: http://www.trackmenow.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts