I have four months and 11k miles on my Bright Silver Metallic 300C with Protection Group II, Power Moonroof and High-Intensity Discharge Headlamps. The car was ordered in early May for $425 below invoice and I took delivery the end of July. The dealer was not the closest to my home, but they - by far- gave me the best price.
I don't log on every day to this forum, but I do check frequently- especially before I go in for service. Yesterday was my second scheduled maintenance. The car has been serviced at a dealer closer to home. It is supposedly a five* dealer.
On Monday I checked the forums and found a couple of interesting things:
1. Mention of the mindless wiper/turn signal issue. (I thought it was just me hitting the stalk funny). Found on these threads: Wipers
, software version question....
2. Recalls. Found on this thread: Nov 24 Recall notice?
3. Possible TSBs for EVIC software upgrades (which was claimed to have fixed the wiper/turn signal issue). Found on this thread: EVIC software update
So, I logged onto Chrysler to look for recall information. (You can do that here: CONTACT CHRYSLER - Recall or Customer Safisfaction Notification Information
by entering the last 8 characters of your VIN). I found two recalls, D50 & D51. I called the dealer and asked if they would address them when the car was brought in for maintenance. I also asked if they normally check for software upgrades during maintenance and was told that they do not- unless there is a problem.
I asked if they would do a software upgrade to possibly address the windshield wiper issue. I had checked and my software was v 3.60 dated 6/11/2004. According to previously mentioned threads, there is a newer version. They were immediately defensive and the mood of the conversation quickly soured. It did, however, end with the dealer telling me that they would address the recalls IF there were any- which they would check when the car came in. (I sent the recall information with the car as a back-up in case they didn't find any.)
In the meantime, I though of several other small issues I wanted to have noted in the maintenance history. I wrote them all down on the recall papers.
1. The CD player tends to jam. It's only happened a few times, but when switching from FM to CD mode, the player gets "stuck". It won't scroll through tracks, it won't eject the CD, and it won't play. The only solution I have found is powering the car off and on.
2. The vehicle alarm had been set off twice; both times by opening a locked door interiorly. Both times the alarm would not turn off according to the manual (by hitting the unlock button on the key, or by placing the key in the ignition to the ON position). That was many minutes of a screaming, flashing car- with me being slightly embarrassed that I couldn't get the alarm to turn off no matter what I did.
3. The headlights didn't seem to be aimed properly.
4. The cabin temperature doesn't seem to consistently adjust properly in auto mode. I'll turn the heat up and it will blow cold air at me.
The maintenance went fine and they were able to address both recalls. They told me that I had the current software so they could not do a software upgrade. If someone can clarify that for me, I would appreciate it. They also aimed the headlights. Of course they could not duplicate any of the other issues I mentioned but at least they are on record. (I'm not sure if they checked the alarm issue.)
Now- as my husband was getting ready to leave; the maintenance person approached him and said that he noticed the car was not purchased from them. My husband told him that we had tried to buy from them but were given a MUCH better deal at a different dealership (which is true). The maintenance guy then proceeded to tell my husband that "they" come down on him when he takes in cars not bought from them and asked my husband to LIE
(if asked by anyone) about why we hadn't purchased from them!
After my husband explained to the maintenance guy that his integrity would NOT be insulted, he demanded to know who "they" were and made it perfectly clear that he knew that ANY Chrysler dealer can service a vehicle no matter where it was purchased from. Apparently that whole conversation was a bit bizarre.
In summary, I have the wiper/turn signal issue, too. What is the current version of software? Where can I check this information? What, exactly, are TSBs (and don't say technical service bulletins, info here: TSB's for 300C
Thanks for reading and helping.
PS- I really love the car!