Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Heres my situation. When my daytime running lights are on and I put my turn signal on (left or right doesnt matter) when the turn signal flashes on, the daytime running light turns off. then when the turn signal flashes off, the day time running light turns on again (just the side that the turn signal is on). It pretty much flashes with the turn signal.

Is this normal?

I never noticed it since I can't see the front of my car when driving but I was driving behind my buddy and he said my light kept going out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yup its normal, same thing happens to mine. I've also seen other base/touring/limited's do the same.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hey guys,

Heres my situation. When my daytime running lights are on and I put my turn signal on (left or right doesnt matter) when the turn signal flashes on, the daytime running light turns off. then when the turn signal flashes off, the day time running light turns on again (just the side that the turn signal is on). It pretty much flashes with the turn signal.

Is this normal?

I never noticed it since I can't see the front of my car when driving but I was driving behind my buddy and he said my light kept going out.
Absolutely normal. It has to do with laws. There is a law that says something about if a turn signal is X amount of cm's from a daytime running light then the running light needs to be off. There was actually a news story about this a year or two ago.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
no worries, glad we helped

·
Registered
650 Posts
i guess it is normal for chrysler. i am not sure about the law thing and have never seen it to happen, but on chryslers. there is no logical explanation for such feature to become a law.

on 300c it is not really noticeable as DLR and turn light share the same projector. however, i saw a new minivan couple days ago and the effect looked very odd as they apparently use underpowered low(or high) beams for DLR and it is very visible when one light goes off.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is the only way to turn them off with a starscan tool?

If theres a DIY way, how?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Hey guys,

Is this normal?

Your buddy is watching your lights in his rearview mirror! Who's watching the road?

What you describe is not correct operation. I just went out in the dark, turned off the AUTO headlights, and turned on a turnsignal. The DRL on the signal side stayed off while the turnsignal flashed.

If you think think about it, with one or the other on when the other or one is off, you would hardly be able to tell anything is flashing, just flicking up and down!

Correct operation is that the DRL goes off and stays off , while the multi-function switch (aka the turnsignal stalk) is set in either signal position, to allow the amber turnsignal to be seen clearly.

Have you stood infront of your car with the headlights off and a turnsignal on? Try it and report back.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Your buddy is watching your lights in his rearview mirror! Who's watching the road?

What you describe is not correct operation. I just went out in the dark, turned off the AUTO headlights, and turned on a turnsignal. The DRL on the signal side stayed off while the turnsignal flashed.

If you think think about it, with one or the other on when the other or one is off, you would hardly be able to tell anything is flashing, just flicking up and down!

Correct operation is that the DRL goes off and stays off , while the multi-function switch (aka the turnsignal stalk) is set in either signal position, to allow the amber turnsignal to be seen clearly.

Have you stood infront of your car with the headlights off and a turnsignal on? Try it and report back.
Im sure thats what he meant.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i guess it is normal for chrysler. i am not sure about the law thing and have never seen it to happen, but on chryslers. there is no logical explanation for such feature to become a law.

on 300c it is not really noticeable as DLR and turn light share the same projector. however, i saw a new minivan couple days ago and the effect looked very odd as they apparently use underpowered low(or high) beams for DLR and it is very visible when one light goes off.
Like i said there was a news story about it, in which they indicated that there was some law/regulation/guideline for if a daytime running light is less then X cm away from the turn signal then the light must be out. Its a safty thing. with the day time light running at the same time as the signal then people might not be able to see the signal from some distance, which is why it turns off.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Im sure thats what he meant.
As written: "when the turn signal flashes on, the daytime running light turns off. then when the turn signal flashes off, the day time running light turns on again (just the side that the turn signal is on). It pretty much flashes with the turn signal."

How could the above mean anything else, especially "It pretty much flashes with the turn signal."?

He needs to stand in front of his own car and see it for himself, and then report back EXACTLY WHAT HE SAW.

What could be simpler?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Like i said there was a news story about it, in which they indicated that there was some law/regulation/guideline for if a daytime running light is less then X cm away from the turn signal then the light must be out. Its a safty thing. with the day time light running at the same time as the signal then people might not be able to see the signal from some distance, which is why it turns off.
I hear you bro. :) However, I do not recall seeing any other make with such effect. Do not they have to abide the regulations too?

On another note, we all know that clowns write not only news articles, but regulations as well. I drove in various jurisdictions requiring DRL. I do not recall seeing (or imagine) white light DRL ever obstructing amber (yellow) turn signal no matter now close they are.

The only case turning off one DRL may help if DRL is amber coloured light. This is allowed here and some manufactures use it (older Chrysler minivans). I do not clearly get why the variation is allowed at all and DRL was not limited to white only light. At the same time in the minivans one DRL has to go off anyway as it is the same light as turn signal.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heh sry i didnt get back sooner, umm ya i think the DTR light statys off while the blinker is on. so it seems all is normal.

i havent gone out to check it yet since im not at home till later tonight but i think it did stay off.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
heh sry i didnt get back sooner, umm ya i think the DTR light statys off while the blinker is on. so it seems all is normal.

i havent gone out to check it yet since im not at home till later tonight but i think it did stay off.
:fing02: For you.
:thumbsdow: For your buddy.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I hear you bro. :) However, I do not recall seeing any other make with such effect. Do not they have to abide the regulations too?

On another note, we all know that clowns write not only news articles, but regulations as well. I drove in various jurisdictions requiring DRL. I do not recall seeing (or imagine) white light DRL ever obstructing amber (yellow) turn signal no matter now close they are.

The only case turning off one DRL may help if DRL is amber coloured light. This is allowed here and some manufactures use it (older Chrysler minivans). I do not clearly get why the variation is allowed at all and DRL was not limited to white only light. At the same time in the minivans one DRL has to go off anyway as it is the same light as turn signal.
I hear ya, dont know how long they have required it that way, i now what you mean about how it seems chrysler is the one mainly doing this, I have seen a few other cars doing this aswell. I think the requirement was a gap of 10 cm (not 100% sure).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As written: "when the turn signal flashes on, the daytime running light turns off. then when the turn signal flashes off, the day time running light turns on again (just the side that the turn signal is on). It pretty much flashes with the turn signal."

How could the above mean anything else, especially "It pretty much flashes with the turn signal."?

He needs to stand in front of his own car and see it for himself, and then report back EXACTLY WHAT HE SAW.

What could be simpler?
All i said was "im sure thats what he meant" meaning that is probably what he was trying to say. Not your wrong and I dont see what your going on about. I hope you didnt take it as me saying something -ve towards you. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
All i said was "im sure thats what he meant" meaning that is probably what he was trying to say. Not your wrong and I dont see what your going on about. I hope you didnt take it as me saying something -ve towards you. :grouphug:
No foul!

You took his explanation as being questionably worded, and gave him the benefit of a doubt. I didn't doubt his wording. I took his explanation literally. He thought he had a problem, which it would have been if it existed as described.

If someone had told me that my DRL's flashed on and off in opposite sequence to the turnsignal the first place I'd have gone would have been to the front of the car to see for myself. And that would have been that!

He has yet to look for himself.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts