Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 chrysler 300 v6, first, does the ac high speed fan come on when the ac is on? I have a single fan. the slow speed comes on when starting car and runs all the time, but the high speed never comes on? I changed the 3 fan relays no difference, fuses good, the fan will run high speed if jumped, high way cools down to the low 50s, in town cools to 61 or62d., what is wrong MIKE

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a 2012 chrysler 300 v6, first, does the ac high speed fan come on when the ac is on? I have a single fan. the slow speed comes on when starting car and runs all the time, but the high speed never comes on? I changed the 3 fan relays no difference, fuses good, the fan will run high speed if jumped, high way cools down to the low 50s, in town cools to 61 or62d., what is wrong MIKE
For starters, I don't know what temperature scale you're using. Celsius is too low (50-62c is only about 122-145º) and Kelvin is too high (50-62k is around 285-290º).

With that said, and the disclaimer that I've only owned Hemi-powered LX/LD cars with dual cooling fans, there are as many as twenty different fan settings; low, medium and high (although the dual fans have no medium speed), that can be set differently with A/C on or off, and even for different vehicle speeds, and including the hysteresis (how low the temperature must drop for the fan to cycle off).

Just as a very rough guide, dual cooling fans on a completely stock, Hemi-powered 300 should come on at low speed around 217º, and high speed at 226º or so. So depending on where and how you drive, you might never (or rarely) see high speed fan operation.

But you shouldn't be seeing continuous low speed fan operation. It's counter-productive...you need to reach operating temperature so your PCM can switch to closed-loop mode...and you'll eventually burn your fan motor out.

The first thing I would check is whether you or a previous owner may have used a handheld tuner to alter the fan operation. I suppose if the low speed is set to a low enough temperture, you could see continuous operation.

If your fan speed settings are okay, I would probably use a scantool like AlfaOBD or DiagFCA to toggle the low-, medium-, and high-speed fans on and off manually and see what you get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For starters, I don't know what temperature scale you're using. Celsius is too low (50-62c is only about 122-145º) and Kelvin is too high (50-62k is around 285-290º).

With that said, and the disclaimer that I've only owned Hemi-powered LX/LD cars with dual cooling fans, there are as many as twenty different fan settings; low, medium and high (although the dual fans have no medium speed), that can be set differently with A/C on or off, and even for different vehicle speeds, and including the hysteresis (how low the temperature must drop for the fan to cycle off).

Just as a very rough guide, dual cooling fans on a completely stock, Hemi-powered 300 should come on at low speed around 217º, and high speed at 226º or so. So depending on where and how you drive, you might never (or rarely) see high speed fan operation.

But you shouldn't be seeing continuous low speed fan operation. It's counter-productive...you need to reach operating temperature so your PCM can switch to closed-loop mode...and you'll eventually burn your fan motor out.

The first thing I would check is whether you or a previous owner may have used a handheld tuner to alter the fan operation. I suppose if the low speed is set to a low enough temperature, you could see continuous operation.

If your fan speed settings are okay, I would probably use a scan tool like AlfaOBD or DiagFCA to toggle the low-, medium-, and high-speed fans on and off manually and see what you get.
these temp is at the cooling vent on dash with air on, motor temp is about 1/8" from the center point on temp. gauge on dash, this has never been touched from stock, just 31000 miles I am talking about a singular rad. fan

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
these temp is at the cooling vent on dash with air on, motor temp is about 1/8" from the center point on temp. gauge on dash, this has never been touched from stock, just 31000 miles I am talking about a singular rad. fan
Sorry, you're talking about the climate control blower, I thought you meant the engine cooling fan.

·
Registered
'05 300c Blondie
151 Posts
"...high way cools down to the low 50s, in town cools to 61 or62d., what is wrong"

What does the cabin air vent temp have to do with the radiator fan speed? You've asked about radiator cooling fan speed without mentioning engine coolant temps. Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious

·
Registered
132 Posts
"...high way cools down to the low 50s, in town cools to 61 or62d., what is wrong"

What does the cabin air vent temp have to do with the radiator fan speed? You've asked about radiator cooling fan speed without mentioning engine coolant temps. Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious
He's said the A/C isn't cold and the radiator fan runs all the time (only on low speed).

·
Registered
'05 300c Blondie
151 Posts
Thanks... that makes sense now. Condenser isn't being cooled, so a/c isn't... Read his post several times, and couldn't get it (sigh) Wish I could blame my glasses, but it was another senior moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts