Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone tell me what side this in on (if it does have one) because I have a small leak comming from the passenger side right under the radiator.

Taking off just the belly pan I can see where the leak is comming from but I need to remove the front pan assembly to get to it.

Just wnat to check it before I take it to the dealer just to have them tell me it was the petcock leaking.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The radiator drain is on the passenger side.
If you look beneath the bumper on that side you will see a drain hose protruding downward through the bumper fascia. The upper end of the hose is attached to the drain valve. It is not a typical petcock with the bowtie-type handle, rather it is a plastic valve. Access to the valve is from above. As I recall a 1/2" socket (with suitable extensions) is required, and it only takes a half turn from fully closed to fully open, so don't go torque-crazy and snap the valve off of the radiator.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look beneath the bumper on that side you will see a drain hose protruding downward through the bumper fascia. The upper end of the hose is attached to the drain valve. It is not a typical petcock with the bowtie-type handle, rather it is a plastic valve. Access to the valve is from above. As I recall a 1/2" socket (with suitable extensions) is required, and it only takes a half turn from fully closed to fully open, so don't go torque-crazy and snap the valve off of the radiator.
Thanks DESIREE and that is the side that i'm getting a little leak of antifreeze on.

Good to know it is a 1/2' socket and I can get to it from the top.

Again thanks :arms:

·
Registered
8 Posts
so even though you turn the plastic valve,nothing will not come out unless you loosen the nut on the top of that valve??

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Hey guys, my bad, I just went under the hood to look at the drain valve, and it is not nut-shaped but a flat tab that you supposedly can grab between thumb and index finger and give it a half-twist to open. As I recall it took a pair of pliers to get it to move! And only 1/2 turn from closed to open.
Follow the drain hose upward from beneath the bumper. The hose does a nice smooth 90-degree turn to the horizontal right on to the end of the valve with the tab sticking out toward the rear. All can be seen and reached down along the passengerside of the radiator. Here's is a view looking downward along the passengerside edge of the radiator:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, my bad, I just went under the hood to look at the drain valve, and it is not nut-shaped but a flat tab that you supposedly can grab between thumb and index finger and give it a half-twist to open. As I recall it took a pair of pliers to get it to move! And only 1/2 turn from closed to open.
Follow the drain hose upward from beneath the bumper. The hose does a nice smooth 90-degree turn to the horizontal right on to the end of the valve with the tab sticking out toward the rear. All can be seen and reached down along the passengerside of the radiator. Here's is a view looking downward along the passengerside edge of the radiator:
when you turn it does ne fluid come out? cause when i turn mine nothing comes out so is there something im doing wrong?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just noticed on my new 300 this is leaking also. It leaks on the belly pan there too and collects there, was wondering why my coolant was going down. Getting mine looked at tomorrow will let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 05 300c and noticed I have a coolant leak in my petcock area. I haven't looked to see if its loose because I had just got done driving and the car was hot. But looking down through the engine bay I seen it pooling on the splash guard near the petcock witch was wet when I looked under. Its not a heavy leak because I havent noticed marks on the driveway but noticed im loosing coolant. But im wondering just incase, can you replace the petcock on these model cars or do you have to replace the entire rad? I've done sum research and seen a 1aAuto video where the tec briefly runs through coolant issues, and said if the petcock is busted or leaking you have to replace the Rad. But I've noticed you can buy a oem petcock for like 10 15bucks at orallys/autozone? I am not no mechanic but I do have common sense so any help will greatly be appreciated..thanks in advance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts