Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed sony cd player. cd player worked at first but when I turned it off no sound came out anymore. still lights up and ejects cd just no sound. I disconnected it and reconnected it and still nothing so I plugged in the stock radio and it worked so I tried the new one again and it also worked again but stopped when I turned off again. so figured that it only works after I plug in the stock radio and then the new one. does nothing work any other way. any reason why?
Edit Report

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Hi and welcome! Not sure whats up with that but I see you posted over in the Car audio section so I am sure there will be plenty of knowledgeable folks to offer up some ideas.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
We'd need some more information to help determine the problem, but it sounds as if you are not sending any signals to CAN-BUS. The stock radio is sending this signal, but when you swap the radios out, the new radio is not capable of doing this for obvious reasons.

1. What radio did you have before? (there is a 3 digit code, like REC, REF, etc)
2. Do you have the boston acoustics or kicker upgrade?
3. Did you use a wiring harness? Which one?
4. What wire connections are you making

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the stock radio and the wire harmess is a metra wire harness. sound goes to my sound system but no sound from car speakers but when I un plug and plug in stock radio then plug in new one works perfect thenI tunr the car off go back to leave and only sound is in the system not speakers

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
which metra harness by chance?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
And again, which stock radio? There's a 3 letter code on the radio should be on the front face of the radio.

Do you have an amplified system or not? If so, do you know which?

This may be as simple as not having the correct harness from metra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it works perfect up until I turn the car off I just drove it around for awhile came home turned the car off and went to turn the radio back on and does not work again

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sounds like the harness is the problem. The CAN-BUS signal to turn on isn't quite reaching the amp from the new radio.

I'm assuming you have the antenna and remote turn-on wires connected between the radio and the schosche harness (they are usually blue or blue with white strips on the radio)?

At any rate, the proper harness would be metra chto type or PAC C2R-CHY4.

You can go further, for example, if you have steering wheel controls, instead you can go with PAC RP4-CH11.

The reason I mention the part numbers I have is because those are known to interface with the car's CAN-BUS system and provide the proper communications. The Sony (or any aftermarket radio) does not speak CAN-BUS, so there has to be an adapter between it and the car to translate the signals back and forth.

So that would be my recommendation. Preferrably the PAC pieces as I have personal experience with them working well with our cars.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I agree with ^^^^ as this will happen with the iPod adapter harness from Metra as well.

I'd swap over to the PacAudio harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts