Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run with mine off.

I do a good burnout to warm up the tires, get pre-staged, wait for the other lane to pre-stage, then I get staged and wait for the other lane to get staged. As soon as both lanes are staged I roll up the TC just a little bit and then roll on the throttle when it's time to go.

If I were just to hammer the throttle on green I'd go up in smoke.

Your tires might be slipping a bit even if you don't hear or feel it. What tires do you have on the car?

Also, if you are loading up the TC too much you are actually slowing your launch as silver06hemic stated above.
You can still do burnouts at your age? Hehe!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch it, youngster... :lmao:

Here's a recent truck tire test I conducted...::

Is that on the diesel?

I just picked up a 12 2500 in Texas a week and a half ago... Before I could get the tag on it I've deleted it, full exhaust, Minimaxx, 190 stat, 4" lift and level, 20" ATX wheels and 35's and an in motion hack on the nav with headrest tv's.... I have a mod problem I think??

How's yours treating you pal? Are you modding on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum by chance?

Anyway... Hijack over...

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
Is that on the diesel?

I just picked up a 12 2500 in Texas a week and a half ago... Before I could get the tag on it I've deleted it, full exhaust, Minimaxx, 190 stat, 4" lift and level, 20" ATX wheels and 35's and an in motion hack on the nav with headrest tv's.... I have a mod problem I think??

How's yours treating you pal? Are you modding on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum by chance?

Anyway... Hijack over...
Yes, that is the diesel. It was a Day 2 building boost test. ;)

I'm modding over at RamForum but I do check in at the Cummins forum as well.

I fully deleted mine, added an Edge CTS II programmer, 4 selection CSP switch, tunes by EFI Live, S&B CAI, 2.5" level kit, Corsa muffler, 18" Walker Evans Racing 504 wheels, 35x12.50R18 BFG KO2 tires, BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit, Mag Hytec deep transmission pan and an ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace. I've also added some Rigid 4 LED pods in the back and a PIAA 20" front LED light bar plus some other tweaks.

It's coming along....

OK...our apologies to the OP....hijack over. >:D

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is the diesel. It was a Day 2 building boost test. ;)

I'm modding over at RamForum but I do check in at the Cummins forum as well.

I fully deleted mine, added an Edge CTS II programmer, 4 selection CSP switch, tunes by EFI Live, S&B CAI, 2.5" level kit, Corsa muffler, 18" Walker Evans Racing 504 wheels, 35x12.50R18 BFG KO2 tires, BD Diesel 68RFE valve body plate kit, Mag Hytec deep transmission pan and an ATS 68RFE transmission case support brace. I've also added some Rigid 4 LED pods in the back and a PIAA 20" front LED light bar plus some other tweaks.

It's coming along....

OK...our apologies to the OP....hijack over. >:D
Ohhhhh we have our own thread now! Game on!

How do you like the BD plate kit for the transmission? I feel like the 68RFE needs a beef up... I was in bloody horror when I saw the cost of a built one! On my hot tune I grab 175hp and a couple hundred little torque monsters... I'm concerned about leaving the contents of my transmission pan on the street, so I'm running a 60hp tune currently... I can shift on the fly so I may be guilty of occasionally playing! Lol.

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
Yes, we now have a separate thread and we won't be hijacking the other one. Let's play trucks!

When I first got the truck, I noticed that between 3rd & 4th gear the transmission seemed to hang at 34-36 mph at low throttle, sort of bouncing between the gears, before it would shift. At medium and high throttle I got a heavy shudder between shifts. From what I've read, and discussed with a couple of shops, it appears the shudder is caused by fluid leaking by the valve body plate. This causes a medium pressure/low pressure/medium pressure fluid change in the case at low speed. At higher trhottle input you have higher pressures so the pressure differential caused by the blow by creates the shaking. You can imagine how violent that must be to shake the whole truck.

Apparently this shudder is the root cause of two failure modes. The 3rd gear forward sprag can break & the most common failure is a cracked transmission case. So the shop recommended the valve body plate kit plus a case brace. The case brace is basically a stiffener designed to keep the case from flexing to the point of failure. I also put on the deeper pan as more fluid is better for cooling and more fluid seems to attenuate pressure differential between shifts.

Results? The shudder is almost gone, shifts are crisper - but could still use some tuning there - and fluid temps dropped almost 5 degrees from average temps.

So I think I've done what's needed to preserve the transmission outside of a total rebuild.

I do want to install a FASS fuel filter/separator system in place of the stock fuel filter system to keep water and air out of the fuel pump and injector lines. I don't think I am gonna go crazy with lift pumps, intake air elbow, turbo upgrades, etc...

I really like the Edge monitor and the features to monitor engine operating conditions. I also like being able to shift on the fly between tune packages vs. how we have to meddle with unloading and loading tunes with the Diablosport programmers on our cars.

I did some playing the other day and the Mrs. was with me. We had to go into SE Portland from our home over on the SW side of town. On the way back, I finally cleared traffic as we entered the freeway, including a real ass driving a small black foriegn something who cut me off at the on ramp. I honked at him and he flipped me off.

So, I rode his tail a bit as we headed up the hill. He finally pulled over and I noticed his driver's window was down. I was on the third position tune and got on it, rolling a bit of coal and putting some of it through his window. >:D

The wife said, "Wow, this thing has some power!" and I said, "Yeah but watch this..." I slowed down a bit, put the tune on #4 and as that guy pulled up even with my tailpipe, I nailed it again, filling his car with smoke. He had to slow way down and that meant he slowed all the cars behind him. I could hear them honking at him as I made my way further West. ::biggrin::

The wife was watching the rear view mirror and all she could say was, "OMG" and then she started laughing.

This 2017 is my sixth Dodge truck and I'm very happy with it.

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
My Ram trucks

1967 Camper Special 3/4T beater:

1988 1500 "Power Ram":

1999 1500 Ram:

2007 MegaCab Ram:

2014 CrewCab, 6.4L HEMI:

And the current 2017 CTD:

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Ram trucks

1967 Camper Special 3/4T beater:

1988 1500 "Power Ram":

1999 1500 Ram:

2007 MegaCab Ram:

2014 CrewCab, 6.4L HEMI:

And the current 2017 CTD:

Sweet deal! Sounds like your edge is similar to my minimaxx... I shift on the fly by touching the little up button, the more 'ups' the more coal! Lol... Love that! In stock it's pretty good and no real smoke to speak of even with the delete, but when you move up through tow to street and on to performance the power jump is incredible and the smoke is a fun byproduct... Albeit the polar bears I'm sure are not impressed!

I'm on 6 dodges... I had an 89 d350 extended dually, 91 d250 straight cab, 95 2500 straight cab, 99 2500 extended cab 4x4 and last I had an 03 2500 crew cab... Used them for work for years before moving to a different career where as car was provided... That 03 was a night and day difference over the rest of them, all were diesel from 12v through 24v and all were good trucks (my 89 went to work commercial and turn 1.4 million miles prior to getting retired with nothing but belts, injectors and about 9 getrag 5spds lol!) but the 03 was in a different class.... This 12 i have now... Wow... Different world not class... I'm impressed! I can only imagine how the 17 is... I figure back in the construction world again I needed another truck, this one so far seems perfect!

That being said I'm concerned about transmission... I was looking at the plate kit as I have the shudder as well!! Mine is on takeoff and on 3-4th on occasion. I got the optional transmission tune software on the Minimaxx... It helped but didn't cure! I just don't want to pooch it as right now it seems I'm waiting to see how long it lasts, doesn't feel too wonderful! Was it hard to fit or have fitted pal? Did the trans brace help? I just did a rough country steering brace and man that sure tightened things up!

Any wander with your bigger rubber?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99 and the 03... I'll have a dig for the others!

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
Sweet trucks!

About that transmission, steering and rubber...

The case brace is easy to install. You don't need to drop the transmission to do it. 8 bolts and you are done. Basically, it ties the front, center and rear of the case together to stiffen it. Coupled with the installation of the valve body plate - again, an easy job - and the additional fluid, it makes a big difference. You can still feel the shifts, with them being nice and positive, but the shudder is 95% gone compared to stock regardless of how hard you are getting on the accelerator. I was a bit skeptical about the transmission upgrades but I am really glad I did it.

My neighbor/3rd son across the street has a 2015 2500 CTD. He's leveled, has 37's on 20's, straight piped and tuned. He hasn't done the transmission work yet. I took him for a ride in mine one day so he could hear the Corsa muffler (which is awesome, IMHO) and I opened up the truck from a dead stop and just let it shift. He said, "Where did the shudder go???" I explained what I had done and now he is going to do it. He's got his pan, gasket, fluid and plate kit on order. Looks like I am gonna crawl underneath another CTD here soon.

I also found that running around town in tow/haul mode keeps the trans from hanging up around that 34 - 36 mph speed. You might give that a try and see if it works for you. I used to manually shift mine all the time but when even when I selected 4th, the darn thing still didn't seem to want to shift. Now, in T/H it goes right to 4th. Also, in Tow/Haul it won't keep shifting up and start lugging the truck at low speeds. I've pretty much settled on using T/H all the time until I hit the freeway.

When I had the level kit installed I used one from Tuff Country with the shock relocation bracket so the front end geometry wasn't altered too much. Most level kits seem to sort of roll the front differential back towards the cab and that can be a problem. It has to be a pretty badly rutted road to create any wandering in the front.

What did the steering brace improve for you?

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to research the kit right now... And the brace... If I can kill some of the shudder that would be perfect and I'm getting ready to service her shortly anyway!

The good part about the minimaxx was the optional transmission tune I bought... Made night and day difference. The truck doesn't struggle at in town speeds, no more shift to 5th and 6th at 30-40mph! Now she holds forth and locks the TC in 3rd and forth as a way to drop in gear revs without shifting, the truck is so much happier now and is ready to go at all speeds in town vs the chug along she did before.

I think that the plate kit and the bar might make that the perfect combo now... Im excited to hear about it!

The steering brace took away the wander I was getting after installing 35's.... The truck just seemed to walk around, like I had new found slop in the box, meanwhile alignment was perfect and the front is tight as can be... Installed the brace and it is perfect again. I guess that the steering box flexes on the frame with bigger tires, newer trucks take awhile to get to wander but older ones like mine seem to get it right away. The brace bolts both frame members together and also bolts to the box and keeps everything tight and in line... Made a big difference, on something like yours you would not feel much of a difference but you would be stopping the problem before it starts...

How hard was it to do the plate kit? Just drop the VB and go? I've played around in many a transmission but never one of ours!

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
I'm gonna have to get that brace then. I've heard about the wander issue from other 2500 owners who have either lifted or leveled with 35s or larger. A fella down the road from me here said he initially got the MOPAR updated parts but they cracked! So he got an aftermarket kit and has been very happy with it.

Brace installation took all of about 15 minutes.

The BD Diesel plate kit install is a bit more than some folks would want to do in their driveway or in their garage. You disconnect the shift linkage, loosen the pan, drain the fluid, drop the pan, pull the valve body out, partially disassemble the valve body, etc.... There is a good instruction manual on BD Diesel's site.

Also, it does require a bit of adjusting to the trans tune for the right line pressure settings, which they also describe in the manual.

For an experienced tech it would take about 2.5 - 3.0 hours. I took my time and spent almost 5 hours total time. I have to admit it was a bit nerve wracking at first (new truck, don't screw it up, new truck, you wanna drive it, DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!!!) but I got through it.

https://www.dieselperformance.com/shop/product/1030373-bd-protect68-gasket-plate-kit-dodge-6-7l-2007-5-2018-68rfe-transmission-19511

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha! I hear ya there! When I cracked the heads off my 300 at 45k I remember thinking 'what the hell are you doing Rob!' but I was super committed at that point so I just rolled with it! Fast forward 10 or so years and I'm glad I did! Just have to tell yourself it's for the greater good! ☺ Now... A brand new truck... That's more than a nailbiting session!

Look to rough country for the brace... Took me twenty mins and it is a good product for the money (120 bucks I think...) well made and fit like a glove. You probably won't notice much, maybe you will, but if not,it's nice to know that you are stopping wear in the box before it starts!

I already have the trans brace in my shopping cart and I'm shopping transmission pans as we speak! Lol... I found a whole valve body, any thoughts on an all out replacement? I'm pulling my 38' fifth wheel with her so might be an idea to start to build this thing a bit... Or maybe just do what you did and then save my pennies for an ATS trans swap when mine lets out... Hmmmm?
I'm gonna have to get that brace then. I've heard about the wander issue from other 2500 owners who have either lifted or leveled with 35s or larger. A fella down the road from me here said he initially got the MOPAR updated parts but they cracked! So he got an aftermarket kit and has been very happy with it.

Brace installation took all of about 15 minutes.

The BD Diesel plate kit install is a bit more than some folks would want to do in their driveway or in their garage. You disconnect the shift linkage, loosen the pan, drain the fluid, drop the pan, pull the valve body out, partially disassemble the valve body, etc.... There is a good instruction manual on BD Diesel's site.

Also, it does require a bit of adjusting to the trans tune for the right line pressure settings, which they also describe in the manual.

For an experienced tech it would take about 2.5 - 3.0 hours. I took my time and spent almost 5 hours total time. I have to admit it was a bit nerve wracking at first (new truck, don't screw it up, new truck, you wanna drive it, DON'T SCREW THIS UP!!!!) but I got through it.

https://www.dieselperformance.com/shop/product/1030373-bd-protect68-gasket-plate-kit-dodge-6-7l-2007-5-2018-68rfe-transmission-19511

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
I don't know that you need a new valve body. Your stock one, with the plate kit and the tuning, should do quite well. They don't really wear out and many of them are machined to be more performance oriented handling huge pressures, almost a race truck sort of configuration. I'd save the money for a rebuild, if needed, later on.

The only thing I'd look at is how to get the line pressures where they need to be as noted in the plate kit instructions.

Thanks for the info on the steering box brace.

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know that you need a new valve body. Your stock one, with the plate kit and the tuning, should do quite well. They don't really wear out and many of them are machined to be more performance oriented handling huge pressures, almost a race truck sort of configuration. I'd save the money for a rebuild, if needed, later on.

The only thing I'd look at is how to get the line pressures where they need to be as noted in the plate kit instructions.

Thanks for the info on the steering box brace.
Gotcha! I ordered it, the pan and the upper brace as recommended! The H&S will increase line pressure up to what is required (250 I believe it said) and higher if needed... The tuning software is pretty good that way. I'm excited to get this sorted!

I love the color of your truck... Wish I could have found one that color! I went with this one.... Oh...and also a pick of a new pair of shoes on the C!

·
Administrator
19,566 Posts
Yup, 250 psi is what BD Diesel recommends for their plate kit. Hopefully tuning to that will be easy for ya. I'm excited to hear how things go.

The first time I saw a Delmonico Red Ram in the sun I said, "Whoa!" It does pop. I just keep getting it dirty heading up into the mountains around me to have fun with guns.

Then I have to come home, clean the guns AND clean the truck. I guess if ya wanna play ya gotta pay, right? ;)

Good lookin' truck, buddy. I don't remember you mentioning having a MegaCab. I really like the extra room you get with those. I miss my 2007, which I called the "MegaCan". Here's a dirty pic of it:

Good lookin' shoes on the 300!!!

Let me know how things go with the trans mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts