Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else getting a lot of rattles around the radio / HVAC cluster on the dash? I was and took it to the local dealer numerous times and they weren't able to do anything about it. (Or didn't WANT to)

Eventually I found a simple but effective fix. The center plastic bezel is a snap fit. It's tight to pull off but needs to be removed for the fix. All you need is some simple single sided foam tape. Below are the steps I took to eliminate all of the squeaks and rattles:

1) Remove bezel by placing your hand inside the open tray at the bottom and pulling forward. It will pop loose at the bottom. Only pop it loose. Don't pull out more than enough to pop it loose. (About 1/2 - 3/4")
2)Run fingers up both sides and the perimeter snaps will pop loose.
3) The last and hardest snaps are the center ones below the clock and above the radio. Veeerrryyy carefully pull until these come loose. You can't just pull the edges or you will break the plastic. You kind of have to pull at the edges and try to keep the plastic as straight as possible.
4) Once everything pops loose there are 4 wire harness connections to remove. One for the clock, one for the 4 way flasher button cluster and 2 on the HVAC controls. These all have the common locking detent that needs to be pushed down to disengage.
5) Pull out the entire assembly. With it will come the HVAC control, Clock, Two upper vents, 4-Way / Trac buttons and the integral package tray.
6) Next you have to pull out the HVAC control. This is done in two steps because of the way the buttons are installed:
6a) Remove the buttons by rotating all of them to where the pointers are at the 9:00 position. Now just pull straight out. Once they come out you will see why this is necessary. Don't rotate the controls once the buttons are out.
6b) Remove the HVAC unit by removing the 4 Torx bolts that hold it to the bezel.
7) The rattle seems to eminate from 4 places:
7a) Where the HVAC plastic housing contacts the bezel.
7b) Where the radio seats in the white plastic bracket that holds it from the rear.
7c) Where the radio front contacts the bezel.
7d) Where the molded package tray rests on a plastic piece behind the bezel. I used outdoor grade closed cell foam tape that has adhesive on one side. I found this at Lowes in various widths in the tape and sealant area. The stuff I used is 1/4" wide.
8) Very carefully apply foam tape to the back of the bezel where the HVAC unit contacts it. You need to be neat here or the tape will show / stick through the front after you reinstall the HVAC unit.
9) Install the HVAC unit.
10) Remove the radio and install foam tape between where the radio rests on the white plastic bracket and the white plastic bracket. This description sounds ambiguous but just look for the red ones that are installed from the factory that are supposed to perform this same function. Take these out and replace with the thicker foam tape.
11) Install foam tape on the back of the bezel around the radio opening at the top side of the radio. Again, be neat or it will show through or cause the bezel to bulge.
12) Install a few strips vertically around the back of the package tray so they wrap from top to bottom. This will provide buffer between the package tray and the plastic piece in the bottom of the cavity below the radio.
13) Reinstall the complete bezel assy by simply snapping in place. Don't forget to attach the wiring harnesses in their proper locations. There are 4 and the connectors are unique to the point where they can't be installed incorrectly.
14) Check that the seat heater buttons are snapped in place. More than likely they popped loose when you removed the bezel.
15) Enjoy the silence........... :confused:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, ive noticed this problem as well. I'll try your fix to see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How to...

This needs to be posted in the new "How to..." thread. I don't have the rattle but if it ever develops thanks for the info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jimbabwe said:
Is anyone else getting a lot of rattles around the radio / HVAC cluster on the dash? I was and took it to the local dealer numerous times and they weren't able to do anything about it. (Or didn't WANT to)

Eventually I found a simple but effective fix. The center plastic bezel is a snap fit. It's tight to pull off but needs to be removed for the fix. All you need is some simple single sided foam tape. Below are the steps I took to eliminate all of the squeaks and rattles:

1) Remove bezel by placing your hand inside the open tray at the bottom and pulling forward. It will pop loose at the bottom. Only pop it loose. Don't pull out more than enough to pop it loose. (About 1/2 - 3/4")
3) The last and hardest snaps are the center ones below the clock and above the radio. Veeerrryyy carefully pull until these come loose. You can't just pull the edges or you will break the plastic. You kind of have to pull at the edges and try to keep the plastic as straight as possible.
4) Once everything pops loose there are 4 wire harness connections to remove. One for the clock, one for the 4 way flasher button cluster and 2 on the HVAC controls. These all have the common locking detent that needs to be pushed down to disengage.
5) Pull out the entire assembly. With it will come the HVAC control, Clock, Two upper vents, 4-Way / Trac buttons and the integral package tray.
6) Next you have to pull out the HVAC control. This is done in two steps because of the way the buttons are installed:
6a) Remove the buttons by rotating all of them to where the pointers are at the 9:00 position. Now just pull straight out. Once they come out you will see why this is necessary. Don't rotate the controls once the buttons are out.
6b) Remove the HVAC unit by removing the 4 Torx bolts that hold it to the bezel.
7b) Where the radio seats in the white plastic bracket that holds it from the rear.
7d) Where the molded package tray rests on a plastic piece behind the bezel. I used outdoor grade closed cell foam tape that has adhesive on one side. I found this at Lowes in various widths in the tape and sealant area. The stuff I used is 1/4" wide.
8) Very carefully apply foam tape to the back of the bezel where the HVAC unit contacts it. You need to be neat here or the tape will show / stick through the front after you reinstall the HVAC unit.
10) Remove the radio and install foam tape between where the radio rests on the white plastic bracket and the white plastic bracket. This description sounds ambiguous but just look for the red ones that are installed from the factory that are supposed to perform this same function. Take these out and replace with the thicker foam tape.
11) Install foam tape on the back of the bezel around the radio opening at the top side of the radio. Again, be neat or it will show through or cause the bezel to bulge.
12) Install a few strips vertically around the back of the package tray so they wrap from top to bottom. This will provide buffer between the package tray and the plastic piece in the bottom of the cavity below the radio.
13) Reinstall the complete bezel assy by simply snapping in place. Don't forget to attach the wiring harnesses in their proper locations. There are 4 and the connectors are unique to the point where they can't be installed incorrectly.
14) Check that the seat heater buttons are snapped in place. More than likely they popped loose when you removed the bezel.
Nice post, thanks. Does anyone know how much the bezel costs if you do accidentally break it when pulling it off? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jimbabwe said:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts