Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all does the stock transmission cope fine with the engine remap, Im looking at a map but don't want to ask for trouble if it might cause problems in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Your CRD has a 722.6 Nag 1... she will take up to about 550-575tq, in a CRD that's the number you want to watch out for as hp would need to be similar before needing an upgrade (you won't get 500hp from a remap in an oil burner!)...so imo you will be fine. You could always get some blue top shift solenoids or a valve body upgrade if you're really worried but I think you are a far shot from damage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: dpbayly

·
Registered
523 Posts
The issue is torque rather than hp - the crd already produces more torque than the hemi as standard (376 lb/ft) and can potentially produce over 500lb/ft. The gearbox is the w5a580 where the 580 refers to max input torque in Nm - which is approx 428 lb/ft. I believe they are over engineered and haven't heard of anyone destroying one yet though...

JD

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Ok...well if we want to get all technical about it! Lol... they put the rating on there originally as they had failed clutches on the 4-5 shift in some vehicles above 600 lb/ft of tq. They determined that the safe 'all round' suggested power level was 420lb/ft... therefore in the first 4 gears you are safe beyond 428lb/ft, just lift a little on your 165mph shift to 5th!

The SRT cars 420lb/ft of torque stock and the stock hemi C makes 390lb/ft both in excess of the CRD's 376lb/ft... as the SRT with a cam and heads puts down on the wheels over its listed crank hp/tq variant... I stand by the tried and tested numbers of around 550lb/ft... after that...do a valve body.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That's just the answer I like - once I've got the suspension work done, I'm going to go for a remap. I was nervous about how much torque it could handle, but then I have paranoia about auto boxes anyway - always be wary of anything you don't fully understand :)

Cheers

JD

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
That's just the answer I like - once I've got the suspension work done, I'm going to go for a remap. I was nervous about how much torque it could handle, but then I have paranoia about auto boxes anyway - always be wary of anything you don't fully understand :)

Cheers

JD
Yeah JD I don't think you'll have much of a problem with a remap, also for added insurance you could look into a tranzformer to tighten up shifts, just check with the custom shop to make sure the CRD is ok with them (wouldn't see why not)... increased line pressure will keep things alive longer!

Merc blue top shift solenoids in the valve body will also help shifting as will a paramount VB down the road if required... but as I've seen stock supercharged SRT's and head and can variants on the same...I think your just fine! ;)

Rob

Reactions: Hellraiser

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the gearbox, its the rear subframe bushes that go first......believe me!!!:pat:

Changing the gearbox valve body is easy compared to the bushes, the whole rear axle has to be removed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts